News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Wedding casual?  (Read 3891 times)

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Wedding casual?
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 01:09:51 PM »
@gilberte: I'm glad to hear that, about the fabric stores.:) I think in part this is because a number of people are getting totally TIRED of the absolute ocean of poor-quality clothing that's out there right now, and no one feels this more than mature women. So people are beginning to sew again!:) Plus there's a contingent of people who are doing great things with reconstructing recycled clothing.:) This parallels the fact that yarn stores were failing for awhile but in recent years they have come back what with younger urban knitters leading the way. But I've been knitting on and off(mostly off in recent years but hoping to change that)since art school, and all during the years when it wasn't cool to do so. Now, if I could only get past the fact that sewing machines and I don't get along, I'd totally be in alignment with making some simple, but interesting tunics for myself out of nice material. My basic "uniform" is layers anyway that includes said tunic, which are getting harder to find, especially nicely-made cotton or linen ones, either knit or woven. I'll have to go check that Home Ec place on Etsy to see what's what. Online fabric stores can be a godsend for those who don't live near any, or the only one within striking distance is the fabric department at Walmart LOL!

gilberte

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2015, 03:15:10 PM »
You're right -- the young urban knitters have led the way here.  I'm sure there is a similar store in SF, I just don't know what or where it is.  A friend in Philly said there's a big one there that's really popular.  Home Ec and other stores often give classes in all fabric arts, including sewing, and they have sewing machines for rent by the hour, which is just fabulous for the average person today who does not have a sewing machine.  I have cousins in Iowa City which is how I know this place, but I just love it, and order from them because they'll send things by mail quickly and this is sometimes easier than the hassle of going to a fabric store in person.   I agree about the horrid poly fabrics that are on most ready to wear dresses today -- big yichchchchc.  Polyester is the worst in summer and doesn't hold up to many machine washings.  Japanese fabric manufacturers especially are coming out with really cute designs, many of them sold at places like HomeEc and Purl Soho.  Fabrics at these places are not necessarily cheap, but I buy 1-2 yards and sew a couple of seams, hem and voila, a dress or tunic!  I love tunics, also, so good for all seasons, with or without leggings, jeans, or tights, a cardigan or over a t-shirt. 

I got really interested in linen after seeing the linen sheets at merci, a expen$ive shop in Paris.  They are in beautiful muted pastel colors.  If you google 'linen fabric' (or whatever fabric you're looking for) you'll find decent retailers and they'll often send samples for a small price.  But, yeah, upcycling older clothes bought at thrift stores or found from the forgotten pile in your own closet is the least expensive way to sew, and there are, as you know, gorgeous things at thrift stores for those with the time to search. 

Sorry, Stynna, we have completely hijacked your thread.  Are you finding anything at Quotidienne?  My original idea was that even if Veuve doesn't have anything now that might suit you she knows lots of small-scale dressmakers and could point you to something that you'd like.  When you find something will you let us know?  I'm just curious and know you'll find something gorgeous.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2015, 06:48:37 PM »
Gilberte, no worries about the direction of the topic. I love knitting and am eying my sewing machine again so I found the topics highly interesting.

I haven't seen anything at Quotidienne that struck my fancy and haven't yet reached out to Veuve. I need to learn more about what the mother of the bride is wearing before I go too far in my quest. There is a shower next month at which I believe I will meet the bride's mother and hopefully have an opportunity to chat briefly about these things.

I've continued to look at lots of smaller sites as I become aware of them and have found a few that have some pretty summer dresses that I think might be appropriate. Hopefully as spring stock gives way to summer stock I will find more, too. I've also been looking at tunics and, upon Milla's latest suggestions, kimonos. In other words, I haven't ruled anything out yet.

I'm sure that eventually it will come down to a few selections and I will share those here and ask for everyone's opinions. I trust the fashion sense of the TTB beauties!
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2015, 06:16:35 PM »
I have finally settled on an outfit. I've tried on dresses and outfits until my head hurts. I've traveled miles in my search and ordered boxes of dresses shipped to my home.

Today I went to J Jill and came home with a linen sleeveless top in moss, an ankle-length knit skirt in black, and pretty jewelry to add some glitz. I'm looking at some black flats from Zappos. Oh, and they didn't have the matching cardi in my size in stock so I ordered that to have in case it gets cool. With an evening wedding outdoors in the north woods we have to be prepared so the list of things to bring includes mosquito spray, umbrellas, and sweaters.

The good news is two-fold: One, I can now focus all my energy on the wedding and the weekend;  two, I will be able to wear my new outfit over and over again.

I'm sure there will be oodles of pictures as the photographer was the single largest budget item for the wedding so I'll share a picture when they are available.
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2015, 07:38:06 PM »
Yayyy!  It sounds so lovely & perfect, Styyna. And I really like J.Jill.   I can't wait for the pictures.  :D
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2015, 09:00:07 PM »
Yayyy!  It sounds so lovely & perfect, Styyna. And I really like J.Jill.   I can't wait for the pictures.  :D
Ooohhh, what she said!!!
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2015, 01:21:58 PM »
Sounds like the perfect outfit! Moss is a lovely colour for someone with your complexion and hair colour. You are going to look very chic!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2015, 01:47:36 PM »
Thanks everyone for the encouraging comments. :)

Cougar

• Ageless Beauty
  • Tuscana @ MUA
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2015, 12:48:48 PM »
YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.  I want pics.

Today I went to J Jill and came home with a linen sleeveless top in moss, an ankle-length knit skirt in black, and pretty jewelry to add some glitz. I'm looking at some black flats from Zappos. Oh, and they didn't have the matching cardi in my size in stock so I ordered that to have in case it gets cool. With an evening wedding outdoors in the north woods we have to be prepared so the list of things to bring includes mosquito spray, umbrellas, and sweaters.

The good news is two-fold: One, I can now focus all my energy on the wedding and the weekend;  two, I will be able to wear my new outfit over and over again.
  • Complexion: complexion - light olive, super oily
  • Eyes: eyes - dark dark brown
  • Hair: hair - drk brown, drk caramel highlights, super fine
. *´¨)
 ¸.•´ ¸.•´¨)
(¸.•´  ¸.•´
 . . Cougar

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2015, 01:19:44 PM »
Cougar! Yay for seeing you here.

There will be pics aplenty from the wedding I'm sure.

I also did some more J Jill shopping for the 4th. I purchased a white linen skirt, a sleeveless navy linen top, and another necklace and earrings. I figure if it gets cool the moss cardi from the day before will be fine.

It's going to be quite the celebration. The bride and groom both have divorced parents and all sides will be well represented. That means I will be seeing people I haven't seen in decades in addition to meeting all kinds of new people. I'm so glad that it's "wedding casual" and not a stiff, formal affair.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2015, 01:34:04 PM »
Cougar! Yay for seeing you here.
Yay!!!

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2015, 01:34:35 PM »
I can't wait for pictures!!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2015, 11:59:27 AM »
Well, the wedding is next Friday and I'm being silly. I discovered I have a light-weight variegated yarn that is perfect with the moss top I'm wearing for the wedding so two days ago I started knitting a simple shawl to possibly wear instead of or with the matching cardi if it gets cool in the evening. As if I don't have enough to do over the next few days! But I'm having a lot of fun knitting and it helps keep me balanced. I do a lot of planning (what to pack, makeup, etc.) while I'm knitting and I keep a list next to me at all times so I can add to it as I think of more things. I'm close to half finished and I have most of today and tomorrow to work on it so, fingers crossed, maybe I can finish it this weekend and soak and block it on Monday so it's sure to be dry by Wednesday.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2015, 02:56:02 PM »
Very nice!  I can't wait to hear about the wedding and see some pictures. I think that this is good. You need to keep your mind occupied. I'm sure your mind is going in so many directions that this may be the best thing to keep you focus.   

Don't forget to breath and you know the only thing that matters is that the couple are happy.  One that thing that someone told me on my wedding day is that no one knows what we planned so if things are mixed up or the wrong centerpieces are not what you expected, it's all good.

Big hug!! :bighug:

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2015, 01:22:39 PM »
You are so right. These upcoming days are special because they are all about celebrating the marriage of my son to a wonderful woman. I am very happy for them.

My scarf was going along at a good pace but I've hit a snag...I've run out of caked (balled) yarn and my DH is too busy to help me turn another skein into a ball.

So I guess it's time to practice my makeup. I'm toying with going with a very natural look, maybe even forgoing foundation. My cheeks are naturally pink these days (in a good way) and my skin is quite even so I'm tempted to use concealer, translucent powder (to tame the shinies from the SPF in my moisturizer), a little blush, eye makeup (very neutral), and a pretty lipstick. That's the look I'm going to practice today anyway. I will, of course, have foundation with me on Friday in case I change my mind. :) Shoot, we're driving so I'll probably have a ton of makeup with me, all just in case.