News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: red or blue?  (Read 3477 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
red or blue?
« on: March 26, 2015, 12:04:13 PM »
One of my husband's friends is getting married next week to his partner of 15 years; it is their second marriage and they are both in their early 60s, so they are having a simple ceremony and a party in the evening, to which we have been invited. I am not buying new clothes, because I have a few dresses that are suitable for such an occasion. I narrowed my choices down  to two dresses. Please  have a look and tell me which one you like best! Or should I just wear a LBD (that's is what I always end up doing  :rollseyes:)

gilberte

• Silver Member
Re: red or blue?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 12:54:15 PM »
Milla, they are both pretty and I like both of them.  I guess I'd suggest (you can totally ignore this, just an idea :-) ) choosing the one that makes you feel the best, the prettiest, the most comfortable, from the inside.  Not thinking of how it makes you look, but what is the internal feeling you get when wearing the dress?  In which one do you feel the most authentically like yourself?  Perhaps the day of the wedding you'll prefer one over the other, or the black dress as you said.   Maybe the weather or another circumstance will make one seem more appropriate.  I'd choose the one that made me feel the best.  Whatever you choose, have fun and congratulations to the newlyweds.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 02:00:25 PM »
milla, you have such exquisite taste. I have to agree with gilberte. Both are lovely and I know you will look fabulous in either one (or the LBD) so go with what makes you feel happiest when you wear it. Enjoy the evening!
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 10:17:44 AM »
Yes, I also think both are lovely. And, I know that you would look lovely in both!! But, I vote for the blue one.  I think the red would be great at a dinner party, office party, or a party in your honor.  It's kinda like the reason you don't wear white at wedding is so that you don't look like the bride or outshine the bride. I think that's why some bridesmade dresses are so god awful so that the bride look ever more beautiful! The focus should be on the couple...just my two cents.  :)
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 04:25:42 AM »
Thank you for the comments and I am going to wear the blue. The red shows a little bit of cleavage;  I am going to save it for the Summer holidays (sorry, vacations). Both dresses were sale bargains!

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 11:07:27 AM »
Thank you for the comments and I am going to wear the blue. The red shows a little bit of cleavage;  I am going to save it for the Summer holidays (sorry, vacations). Both dresses were sale bargains!
You have an eye for fashion, milla!  You have to post pix.  :)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 02:03:06 PM »
I hadn't thought about the fact that it was a wedding (though these days I'm always surprised by what I see in wedding pictures!) and if the red dress shows a bit of cleavage then I'm with the blue, too. What shoes will you wear? Will you carry a clutch or purse of some sort? You have such good taste that I'm inspired by you and, besides, inquiring minds always want to know. :D
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 02:44:14 PM »
Well, not only at weddings.  Workplace now a days always make me wonder whether they have mirrors at home.  There's a new attorney and she's in her late 20's and she wears skirts so short that if you sat across from her, you pray that she's not going commando. And she only wears skirts to work. *sigh*

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 12:46:23 PM »
@Styyna: ideally, I would like to wear nude heels, but since I cannot walk in heels and I put comfort first, I will wear  patent leather sling backs, with a small heel. I have got a matching bag, but I am not into matching shoes and bags, so I'll take my small grey, metallic clutch, that I bough for my son's wedding last May.
@ SusieQ: how embarrassing! That is a situation I have seldom encountered at work, because in  the schools where I worked they had a  dress code. Many years ago I worked with  a young teacher who always wore low cut tops. This was a co-ed school (i.e. boys and  girls); I seem to remember that the said young lady was quite popular with male members of staff and she had no problems at all controlling the most unruly classes: she had all the teenage boys mesmerised by her assets. Until one fatal day, when a very outspoken (female) colleague, with a strong  from Northern Ireland accent  and absolutely no airs and graces told her that she risked catching her death of cold, and that she should 'warm up a soup spoon and put them away!' :lol:

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 05:07:21 PM »
@Styyna: ideally, I would like to wear nude heels, but since I cannot walk in heels and I put comfort first, I will wear  patent leather sling backs, with a small heel. I have got a matching bag, but I am not into matching shoes and bags, so I'll take my small grey, metallic clutch, that I bough for my son's wedding last May.
That's sound lovely, milla. The combination sounds perfect. I hope we see a picture or two.

Until one fatal day, when a very outspoken (female) colleague, with a strong  from Northern Ireland accent  and absolutely no airs and graces told her that she risked catching her death of cold, and that she should 'warm up a soup spoon and put them away!' :lol:
That's so funny!  We have a few young girls who dresses similarly but they are out of college and not attorneys.  I just think that one should at least appropriately in the work place. Sometimes, I feel like i just walked into a club or something.  But, I guess, maybe, they are fishing and want to make sure that the merchandise is showing the good assets.  :o

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 06:41:17 PM »
Milla, as usual your great sense of style and your common sense have merged perfectly. I, too, hope we get to see a picture. :)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 01:32:54 PM »
I wore the blue dress and it was fine. The couple married at the local registry office and they had a reception and lunch for their family and close friends at a restaurant. We were invited for an evening party starting at 8:30pm, which has held at the same restaurant where they had the reception. When we arrived, the waiters  were moving the tables back to their usual places and people were all congregating in the lobby, which was a bit crowded. There were drinks but no food (well, there were bar snacks). My husband was not very happy! I did not know the couple (apparently I’ve met my husband’s friend, quite a few years ago, but I cannot remember). We did not know the other guests and that is not usually a problem for me, but as it was very crowded,  it was difficult to make conversation. My husband’s friend’s new wife was very pleasant and welcoming and I thought that she looked very elegant; both my husband and my sister in law could not wait to go, so we left after what we thought was a reasonable time and went in search of a restaurant because we had not had dinner. We found an Italian place which was OK. I am afraid I haven’t got any photos; another time!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2015, 03:40:00 PM »
So sorry to hear that it was a bit of a disappointing crush, Milla. It sounds like planners didn't take the needs of those invited to the evening party into consideration very well. Even the Italian restaurant only rated an "OK" so it sounds like the evening on whole didn't go nearly as well as might have been hoped. No worries about the lack of pictures - totally understood. As you say, next time! :)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 02:44:45 AM »
I was not disappointed as I tend to take things easy but my husband and SIL thought it was 'shambolic' (that's is their expression). The Italian was a bit like what we call here a 'greasy spoon café '... it was the only restaurant that was not full and took people without reservations! I've got to laugh! :lol: :lol: the faces of those two (SIL and DH) They were fuming!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2015, 07:42:09 AM »
And a great sense of humor saves the day...or evening in this case. At least for you. Good for you, Milla!

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2015, 10:55:55 AM »
Well, the bride and groom looked very happy and that is the most important thing. It is great that two people who have been married before decided to give marriage another go and I wish them well. They send us a very nice card to thanks us for the present and  suggested we meet up soon.

Awenthomas

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2016, 08:23:57 PM »
Hi,
Both dresses are beautiful, but I like blue dress. I will recommend you to wear blue dress.
Thanks!!

megandunn

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2017, 04:22:20 AM »
Red looks good on a wedding.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2017, 01:37:52 PM »
That was ages ago  :D I did wear the blue dress...

Amelia Brown

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2017, 12:55:05 PM »
Well, not only at weddings.  Workplace now a days always make me wonder whether they have mirrors at home.  There's a new attorney and she's in her late 20's and she wears skirts so short that if you sat across from her, you pray that she's not going commando. And she only wears skirts to work. *sigh*

Yes, today the young girls' fashion can shock  :) I agree that there are clothes to go to work and clothes to go anywhere you want. Maybe, that girl wants to find a husband as quickly as possible?  :lol: