News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: the unknown beauty blog & more  (Read 1380 times)

gilberte

• Silver Member
the unknown beauty blog & more
« on: March 30, 2015, 03:45:04 PM »
This is my favorite blog.  Olivia is a makeup artist who was active on MUA for years and I liked her then.  I think she is almost never there anymore, but I find her blog has the best information about how makeup works, what it can and can't do for us, and she has a cult following. I've learned so much from her. She is not into high end brands and has horror stories about her years working for and with the big brands and the big artists, so she has no illusions about the beauty industry, and I find this so refreshing, as most beauty bloggers perpetuate the myths.  She also is stricter about not schilling for anyone who gives her a press sample, and she has occasionally exposed the degree to which this goes on among all the other beauty bloggers -- wow, that world is a zoo of deception.   Recently she has done more DIYing, which I'm also interested in, as it's fun and you can really save money.  She uses her mom for a model often and this is also sweet.

Google 'unknown beauty blog' or 'maquillage obscura' and you'll find it.

I also like hot and flashy a lot, especially as Angie and I have similar coloring and a furious desire for makeup which doesn't look like makeup.

I like emilynoel83 and have learned a lot from her, though the amount of makeup she wears floors me.  Now that she's a mom she's toning it down though. 

Lisa Eldridge is a joy to watch though she has lots of expensive products to choose from which I am not interested in, but she is some sort of angel. 

I've really cooled on Wayne Goss.  Too many click-bait titles for short videos which repeat old information, and I think he kisses up to other expensive lines in his recommendations while ignoring drugstore brands.  And someone else pointed out that you never see his name credited with doing makeup for fashion shoots or videos (the opposite of Lisa E.) plus his makeup skills don't look that fantastic, so it's hard to know if he's a real makeup artist or just knows how to work youtube.  I'm dubious and his brushes are too expensive for me so I'll pass.

Shameless Fripperies is an australian blog and it's very well shot, plus she has a lovely personality.  Again, I hate her love or high end stuff, but she has good skills and it's a fun watch.  She's young ... will she still love these pricey brands in the future?  She's obviously aiming for a beauty career.

A good friend of hers is Sharon Farrell, originally Irish, and I like watching for her sense of humor and good skills.  Again, too much makeup for me and not enough questioning of brand's marketing ploys, but she once admitted that 9 times out of 10 she washes all the makeup off as soon as the video is shot, so that gives you an idea of how seriously she takes herself.

A Model Recommends I personally dislike for her belief that high end products are much better than others.  She is swimming in makeup, and my minimalist nature goes nuts seeing someone else do this.  I don't believe her claims about skincare. 

Nouveaucheap.blogspot has daily info on drugstore and other low-cost sales.  As I don't wear nail polish I ignore 30% of the posts, and hardly buy anything else, but it's fun to know what is being pushed and bought. 

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Re: the unknown beauty blog & more
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 04:51:59 PM »
If you like Lisa Eldridge you might like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdkgqXBXprY
I love facial massage. Although she mentions a number of products in this video, she also says that you can use whatever you like to massage your face. I find it very relaxing.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 06:55:33 PM »
Thanks, GIlberte, for the run down on the various blogs and sites. I'll be checking out your preferred sites. :)
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

Swest

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 12:01:26 PM »
Thanks I will check out Olivias blog. Used to follow wayne and emily but have too lost interest though they are still in my youtube feed. Looking for a blog that speaks to the average woman.
  • Complexion: Fair-med NC20, combo
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Dark Reddish Brown

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 08:37:26 AM »
I'll have to check out the unknown beauty blog - I do follow a couple of the others you mention.:)

gilberte

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 10:54:30 AM »
Olivia of the unknown beauty blog has shared that it's hard for her to keep going in face of the glitzier, buy-buy-buy, affiliated sponsored blogs.  She doesn't get enough clicks and doesn't offer enough fantasy.  She also knows the business really well after working for a designer and has been a makeup artist and (I think) hair stylist for years, and is dismayed by how crookedness and deceptive advertising are the norm.  Hope I am not sharing too much, but she writes about this on her blog so I think it is OK.  She uses her mom as a model, and viewers want to see a pretty, preferably white-blonde-sexy-big-eyed model in blogs.  I notice that blogs with standard values pretty models get more clicks than those who don't.  This strikes me as really sad. 

I continue to like Angie at Hot and Flashy, and admire her testing & honesty about what products let her down.  EmilyNoel83 does the same, though of course she's younger.   

I've read around a lot on this subject and have learned a bit about how youtubers make money.  I can share some of this if you'd like me too, and of course if anybody else has information please share.  I get it that making a living today is hard, and if you can figure out a way with our computer, your webcam, and don't have to commute to a bad office job -- go for it!  But I also see the downside.  It's all fascinating to me.

I also watch a handful of french beauty bloggers because I speak french and am interested in how they do it.  :-)  :-) :-)

GOMI (Get Off My Internets) and GuruGossiper are 2 forums which discuss bloggers.  Both allow very subjective comments, so it is very gossipy and sometimes not nice.  But I've gotten good insights and believe that if someone is putting themselves out there in a public space (the internet),  promoting themself as an expert, and fishing for clicks to get $$, sponsorship and other benefits, they are fair game.   I was part of a GOMI forum on another business owner who has many youtube videos (not beauty related) and after a year and a half we have had lots of success in tarnishing said business owner's reputation and are feeling really good about it.  (It's a multi-level marketing fraud, packaged as a women's empowerment network thing.) 

gilberte

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 11:09:44 AM »
Also, Olivia participated in, and was admired by, Zuzu of the Everyday Beauty Blog, which some of us knew and loved.  Hi Zuzu if you are reading!