News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: knitting a baby blanket, need your opinions!  (Read 1654 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
knitting a baby blanket, need your opinions!
« on: April 07, 2015, 09:48:46 AM »
I am knitting a baby blanket. At first I thought about knitting a ‘sampler’ blanket (i.e., alternating bands of different stitches) but I am not too sure… Shall I just stick to 2 stitches (please see photo)? Or perhaps make it all in the leaf pattern, with a band of eyelet stitches at each end? I am going to make a border when it is finished but I am not sure if it will be knitted or crochet…

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
Re: knitting a baby blanket, need your opinions!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 05:24:58 PM »
What a pretty shade of pink!  I think I vote for alternating rows.  Would the leaf row be as shown in the photo? Or more rows of leaves & then the eyelet.  I was wondering how wide the rows are.  I'm sure whatever you decide will be just beautiful.  :knit:
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 02:25:53 AM »
I was going to do the rows more or less the same width. I get bored knitting just the same stitch! May be I'll go for the alternate rows, but make the leaf row a bit wider than the eyelet? I think that maybe  it needs to be a bit bigger to show the pattern.

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 06:56:29 AM »
I like the idea of making the leaf row wider than the eyelet row.  I get bored of doing the same stitch over & over when I'm crocheting, so I know how you feel!
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 10:59:26 AM »
Thank you for the advice. I'll post another photo soon!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 02:06:48 PM »
Probably weighing in too late but what about doing the body of the blanket out of the eyelet with a border of the leaf motif and then another border of the eyelet motif?

Your color and knitting are exquisite and it's going to be a treasure no matter what you decide!
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 04:34:24 AM »
That sounds nice too. Decisions,  decisions...

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 10:42:39 AM »
Probably weighing in too late but what about doing the body of the blanket out of the eyelet with a border of the leaf motif and then another border of the eyelet motif?

Your color and knitting are exquisite and it's going to be a treasure no matter what you decide!
LOL!  My friend at work, who's been crocheting for 14 years (she's in her early 20s)  and  I voted for the eyelet fro the body and the leaf motif as the border but two rows. We looked at the picture for sometime and discussed it.  :grin:  I think the eyelet will give it  warmth and the leaf border will give the delicate soft look.  Just our 4 cents worth.  :)

But, I think that no matte which way you go, milla, it will be a lovely and thoughtful gift.

• Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 03:25:28 AM »
SusieQ, it is a great idea but I can't bear to start all over again! :cry: :cry: BTW this blanket is for my granddaughter (due in June): I just cannot wait to meet her!!!!!!

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 10:49:16 AM »
SusieQ, it is a great idea but I can't bear to start all over again! :cry: :cry: BTW this blanket is for my granddaughter (due in June): I just cannot wait to meet her!!!!!!
Wow!  June!  That's around the corner!  I agree, I wouldn't want to start all over again, too. I know either way the blanket will be lovely and warm. It's made with love so it's even more precious, milla. One precious gift to a very precious child!

Please post a pix of when your done. I would love to see it!

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 01:15:24 PM »
I will definitely post a picture!xx

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 07:15:37 PM »
Yay!  Can't wait, milla!

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2015, 12:52:07 PM »
I finished it! Here are the pictures.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2015, 12:59:21 PM »
Oh, Milla, it's exquisite. Your knitting is beautiful and the color is perfect. You made the right choices all the way around. What a lucky baby (and parents)! :)
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2015, 04:22:03 PM »
Thank you Styyna! :-* What about your knitting projects?

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2015, 07:22:29 PM »
That is soooo beautiful, milla. It's definitely a family heirloom in the making!

SusanG

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2015, 01:13:08 AM »
Absolutely gorgeous, Milla! You are so talented.
  • Complexion: Fair: MAC NC15, Ivory in Dior
  • Hair: Natural light brown with a little silver, pixie cut

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2015, 06:57:37 AM »
So beautiful, Milla!  I'm sure they will treasure this, & it will be passed on for generations.  :)

You said she is due in June? Early or later?  My sister is due with her 2nd baby girl on May 30.  We can't wait to meet her as well.  They wll call her Nora. 

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2015, 08:48:25 AM »

I've kind of lost my knitting mojo recently. Life hasn't had lots of opportunities for nice, long knitting sessions and that's what I need to finish the baby blanket (just one strip to knit and then all the strips must be stitched together) and to knit the lace shawl. The lace shawl is almost certainly going to end up being a first anniversary gift rather than a wedding gift.

Between dealing with our ailing pets, cleaning our home from top to bottom, and closing a remote office and bringing all the files and equipment to our home I've had little time to sit and knit.

My goal is to have lots of time in June to devote to knitting.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2015, 09:47:07 AM »

I've kind of lost my knitting mojo recently. Life hasn't had lots of opportunities for nice, long knitting sessions and that's what I need to finish the baby blanket (just one strip to knit and then all the strips must be stitched together) and to knit the lace shawl. The lace shawl is almost certainly going to end up being a first anniversary gift rather than a wedding gift.

Between dealing with our ailing pets, cleaning our home from top to bottom, and closing a remote office and bringing all the files and equipment to our home I've had little time to sit and knit.

My goal is to have lots of time in June to devote to knitting.
Once your house is in tip top shape, and it sounds like you're almost there, your gonna want to do something with your spare time and you'll get your mojo back!   :)