News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Soma for bras?  (Read 1639 times)

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
Soma for bras?
« on: April 09, 2015, 06:58:57 AM »
I'm thinking of heading to Soma to try to find a bra that works for me.  I've never shopped there before & am wondering if anyone here has.  I believe it is the same company as Chico's.  www.soma.com

The bras that I already have aren't working that great for me.  The comfortable bras do nothing for me, & the bras that give a little lift are uncomfortable.   In the past when I've tried them on in the store, they seem comfortable at the time, but wear it for a day, & I can't wait to get it off.
I just want one bra that is comfortable & helps me to not look saggy.  I feel like that's not asking too much!  :o
 I know we've discussed bra fittings, but I've never gone for one.  Maybe it's time. 
So has anyone ever gone to Soma?
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Re: Soma for bras?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 09:15:54 AM »
I've never heard of Soma so I can't speak to that shop. However, I can add my testimonial to the importance of being properly fitted for a bra. What a difference in comfort and support that made for me!

One thing I learned is that women tend to wear band sizes that are too big with cup sizes that are too small. When I was first fitted my band size went down two sizes from what I had been wearing and my cup size increased by two sizes. It's important that the band provide most of the support.

I also tried different brands to find a cup shape that fit my shape. In my case Wacoal cups fit me best. At $65-68 per bra they aren't inexpensive but with proper care the two that I purchased are still with me years later. I added a couple more to the rotation over the years. I handwash in detergent for delicates and hang them up to dry. When I'm in a hurry I have been known to throw them into a lingerie bag and put them in with a light load of whites but they never go in the dryer.

Good luck finding the right fit for you, Lucy! You will be so glad once you do. :)
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 11:31:17 PM »
@ILuvLucy: what Stynna says about getting properly fitted is absolutely true. For years I pooh-poohed the idea as being another stupid piece of fashion advice aimed at mature women, until I went and had it done myself. I would HIGHLY recommend going to a Nordstrom store in your area and getting fitted - they're trained to do that in the lingerie department. A well-fitting bra, at whatever size makes such a big difference in how one looks - it can visually take a few pounds off and make one look younger. When wearing a bra that makes one sag, one looks heavier than one needs to, at almost any weight. Another biggie is that women complain of bras being uncomfortable precisely BECAUSE they're wearing the wrong style and size for their body. A well-fitting bra should feel nice and snug, but the wires should NOT be poking one. If they are, one is wearing the wrong size. One thing that happens as bodies change as we get older, is that breast tissue tends to spread out and go under arms, even if slender, so fit and style are really important. I'm on a low budget in general for stuff, but there are some things that I WON'T scrimp on. Bras are on, and haircuts are another(with my mixed-texture hair). Best of luck!:)

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 02:53:49 AM »
What Milla said.  :)

Getting properly fitted By a professional is SO important!

I trust Rigby & Peller in London. Sadly, I get the occasion to visit very rarely....

I´ve found one brand of bras with under-wires (Prima Donna)  that fit me great and make me look slimmer. They are expensive, but I do not want to waste any more money into ill-filling, uncomfortable ones.
  • Complexion: NC 15 winter, NC 20 summer. Still oily.
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 09:26:46 AM »
Another tip about bras, is to wash them by hand with a detergent specially for delicates. Here in the US one can easily get Woolite for Delicates but any lingerie wash is good. Let them dry naturally - washers and dryers just KILL bras. I think that's why people keep saying bras only last 6 months.I don't know about you, but I'd hate to have to spend around $70 per bra every 6 months. With hand washing, depending on the quality of the bra it should last a whole lot longer than that, because stretching out of the band is slowed down. However, eventually they do stretch out. You'll know when it's time to buy ones when the band is too loose even on the last set of hooks, etc. I'm going to have to buy new ones myself sometime this year. Back to Nordstrom it will be.

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 06:24:53 PM »
Well! I finally went to Soma on Monday.  It was very nice because I was the only customer in the store.  I was helped & fitted by a salesperson, & I tried on a few different bras.  Settled on one style that felt & looked good.  The bra I happened to try on though was black, & I wanted tan or nude.  The salesperson went back & found me 2 of the nude & rang up my purchase.
The next morning I went to put on one of my new bras, & guess what!  The sales person sold me 2 NURSING BRAS!  It is funny, but I'm also annoyed because now I have to go back to the mall to exchange them. And you all know how hard it was for me to go bra shopping to begin with!  :o
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 10:45:27 AM »
What a pain to have to make another trip. Was the black bra that you tried on a nursing bra, meaning you may have to try on more styles? Or can you just go in and exchange the wrong bras for the right ones? And if you can just exchange them, will they send out the right ones and pay for return postage on those that they sent home with you? I live so far from shopping that I'm always looking for ways to avoid driving long distances and maybe that's not a concern for you.

Good luck!
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 02:31:23 PM »
What a pain to have to make another trip. Was the black bra that you tried on a nursing bra, meaning you may have to try on more styles? Or can you just go in and exchange the wrong bras for the right ones? And if you can just exchange them, will they send out the right ones and pay for return postage on those that they sent home with you? I live so far from shopping that I'm always looking for ways to avoid driving long distances and maybe that's not a concern for you.

Good luck!

No, the black bra was the exact bra I wanted - NOT a nursing bra! (Completely different) :lol:  Only I requested it in the nude shade.
I went back today & exchanged without a problem. The salesperson was very apologetic.  This mall is only about 25 minutes away, & is a beautiful mall with nice stores, but I just didn't feel like going back. I used to spend a lot more time there when my children were little and in their stroller. We'd wander around and have lunch.
To make it more worth my time, I stopped in Victoria's Secret with 2 coupons; one for a free cotton panty, & one for a free full size bottle of fragrance.  I picked up both for DD.  It seems like we frequently get coupons for free items from VS.

After all this, I'm really hoping these brad work for me!  :wink:

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 11:01:01 AM »
25 miles away?! That's over an hour spent driving just for the exchange. I can see driving that distance when you are making more of an event of it, like you did with your kids. But maybe you are more accustomed to driving longer distances than I am. Good thing you had the coupons for VS to make it more worth your while.

I hope your bras are as wonderful for you as I've found well-fitted bras to be for me.

Angelcat47

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 06:55:34 PM »
ILoveLucy, I know this is old,but I have an idea(for next time,perhaps). Get the style number(every bra has one and it's usually on the tag). Then,you can shop online saving time and maybe even finding a sale.
  • Complexion: Light skintone,oily and somewhat sensitive
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Medium brown with blonde highlights