News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Daffodils?  (Read 954 times)

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
Daffodils?
« on: April 15, 2015, 05:06:16 PM »
I have daffodils in a pot from Easter.  The blooms are pretty much spent.  When can I plant this in the ground outside? Should I do it when the other daffodils outside are done blooming? Or do I have to save the pot of daffodils & plant them in the fall when you normally plant bulbs.
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Daffodils?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 08:54:10 AM »
I am not quite sure...Here, we still have a few daffodils but they are pretty much spent. I just leave them in the pots and they can up again the following year, but if you want to plant them in the ground, I'd probably wait until fall when you plant the bulbs (here, we plant them end of September/ beginning of October).

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 09:36:19 AM »
I am not quite sure...Here, we still have a few daffodils but they are pretty much spent. I just leave them in the pots and they can up again the following year, but if you want to plant them in the ground, I'd probably wait until fall when you plant the bulbs (here, we plant them end of September/ beginning of October).
:shesaid:

Also, with your artistic talent, Lucy, you can opt to leave the bulbs in the pot and decorate the it when it's time for the flowers to bloom!
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 02:02:10 PM »
Google might be your friend though a quick search that I just did came up with how to deal with daffodils that are already in the ground. You might call a local nursery and see what they have to say.

I wonder if planting them in the spring after all chance of frost is gone might not be best so that the roots have a chance to establish themselves and the green part of the plant can put energy into strengthening the bulbs. I did see that to strengthen bulbs in the ground that seed pods should be removed so that the plant doesn't put energy into the seeds. I think that would be the same indoors if seed pods form.

Let us know what you learn or decide!
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 04:27:42 AM »
I have a pot of daffodils here, too, and will plant them in the ground after they´ve wilted. We´ll see if they´ll come up next spring!
  • Complexion: NC 15 winter, NC 20 summer. Still oily.
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 05:32:50 PM »
We've been in our current home for nearly ten years and the lady that lived here loved to garden. I've killed a lot of plants outside but the daffodils come up every year and they seems to get more and more each year!  :lol:

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 06:12:07 AM »
I think I'm going to plant my pot of daffodils outside next week & see how it goes.  If I wait until October, there's a good chance they'll get tossed out or lost!
Daffodils are one of the few plants that the deer won't eat here, so we see lots & lots of them around town right now.  :flowers:
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 08:02:23 AM »
Just be sure they have enough water and I bet they'll do fine. And don't forget to cut off any seed pods that form(ed). I can't wait to hear how they do!
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusanG

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 01:24:33 PM »
You have nothing to lose by planting them! Where I am (Growing Zone 5a), some varieties of daffodil are considered spent after one season, while others naturalize really well. I'll be curious to see how yours do!   
  • Complexion: Fair: MAC NC15, Ivory in Dior
  • Hair: Natural light brown with a little silver, pixie cut

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 09:57:05 AM »
I'll guilty of not watering mine and yet, they keep blooming each year. I think because they are in the ground and root bound that they get enough from the surrounding area.  :)