News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Statement necklace  (Read 3206 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Statement necklace
« on: April 16, 2015, 09:08:24 AM »
I was given this necklace as part of a birthday present. This is not the sort of thing I wear, yet I can see that it would look good with the right outfit. The problem is, I don’t usually wear statement jewellery; I tend to wear very  understated jewellery and this requires me to come out of my comfort zone. Any ideas on how I could wear this? As it is so elaborate and …OTT, should I wear it with something very simple like a t-shirt and jeans rather than a dress and smart shoes?

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Statement necklace
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 03:01:50 PM »
Absolutely! Actually, a modern way to wear statement jewelry is to mix it up with informal pieces, or mix a beautifully tailored but edgy jacket, with a feminine-looking dress and then the necklace. Basically do whatever you like and makes you look great!:) I don't wear jewelry(save for my 3 rings)on a daily basis either, but I do like bold necklaces from time to time. I just throw them on with my tunics and jeans to go out at night on those occasions that we do. Also, the usual advice for smaller women is to go with smaller, daintier jewelry and accessories in general, which IMO is outdated advice. For some people that might work, but there are some of us who are on the small side who in fact DO benefit from going bolder. It's all a matter of scale anyway. Anyhow, just some thoughts!:)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 03:37:07 AM »
I don't wear necklaces except for a  couple of chains with  small pendants, or a plain silver one; I only wear dangly earrings occasionally, although I wear studs most days. I tend to go for bracelets if I want something a bit more unusual.  There is a certain truth in the saying that you should not wear large, chunky pieces if your are short (that's me). Certainly a tall lady can safely wear jewellery and prints that would overwhelm a  small person.
But with me it is more ' I don't want to look as if  I have tried too hard'...if you know what I mean.
I think that the necklace will work well with jeans and a black top, or black leggings and a black top. I have seen a photo of someone wearing a denim shirt and a big necklace, but I am not too sure about it. I love my denim but I like to keep it simple.

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 07:14:37 AM »
I don't wear necklaces except for a  couple of chains with  small pendants, or a plain silver one; I only wear dangly earrings occasionally, although I wear studs most days. I tend to go for bracelets if I want something a bit more unusual.  There is a certain truth in the saying that you should not wear large, chunky pieces if your are short (that's me). Certainly a tall lady can safely wear jewellery and prints that would overwhelm a  small person.
But with me it is more ' I don't want to look as if  I have tried too hard'...if you know what I mean.
I think that the necklace will work well with jeans and a black top, or black leggings and a black top. I have seen a photo of someone wearing a denim shirt and a big necklace, but I am not too sure about it. I love my denim but I like to keep it simple.

I know what you mean, Milla!  Actually, I don't care for the look of anyone "dripping with jewelry", even larger or taller women.  I remember at times my mother-in-law wearing a lot of her gold jewelry (earrings, necklace, bracelets, several rings), & I didn't think it looked very nice.  Maybe I associate that look with "old" -- I don't know.

But I really like your necklace, & think it will look great on you.  I have a niece who is very small, & wears statement necklaces frequently & they look terrific on her.   I could definitely picture you wearing that necklace. :)
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 09:47:22 AM »
Milla, that's a beautiful piece.  Yes, jeans and white collar shirt and have the necklace inside so that you can only see a little and not the entire necklace. The white collar shirt will make the necklace seems a little understated. If you want to make it stand out, over a black top or a simple black dress with no other jewelry, as you mentioned will do that.  But, having the white shirt and little peek-a-boo gives the bling without the "bang" in your face look.  :)

I've done it and seen it and it looks really put together.  :)
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 11:37:37 AM »
SusieQ: that is very good suggestion! I like white shirts, especially in the Summer! Yes, I am sure it would work. ILLucy,in my life  I've met several women like your MIL, I don't know why they felt the need to wear loads of bling...

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 02:05:02 PM »
I need all of you to dress me. You have such great taste and good ideas! After reading about ways to wear the necklace they all make sense to me but when I first saw the necklace I drew a complete blank. So many smart women here!
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 08:45:25 PM »
I know that  you will look lovely with your smart choice, milla. I know that you would also look good if you wore black skinny type of pants.  You have the figure and you can carry that classic black and white look. 
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 09:51:47 AM by SusieQ »

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 11:07:47 AM »
Thanks SusieQ. Sometimes I think I need to be a bit more adventurous, I always go for a plain look.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 01:08:32 PM »
Thanks SusieQ. Sometimes I think I need to be a bit more adventurous, I always go for a plain look.
That's because you are a sweet person, milla. You want to help everyone else shine and you don't mine being behind the scene.  But, a nice bling or color pop here and there can help to get you out of your comfort zone without looking like you are trying too much. I've seen your selection of styles, you opt for the classic look and not really the plain look.  :)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 09:52:07 AM by SusieQ »

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 05:13:00 PM »
What SusieQ just said  :)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 09:53:30 AM »
What SusieQ just said  :)
See, milla, Cara agrees and you know she's just like you - you both have a great sense of style! 

newdawn

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2015, 08:20:44 AM »
What about with all black and a jacket? Then the necklace really stands out!

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2015, 03:41:46 PM »
I have worn  the necklace a few times, and it looks fine...but it is not me. When I am wearing it, I feel that the necklace is wearing me, and it should be the other way round! I definitely prefer smaller, delicate necklaces. At the moment I am enjoying layering a couple of silver necklaces. One of them has a small filigree pendant; the other one is plain.

gilberte

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2015, 12:12:58 PM »
It is beautiful, and I know what you mean about wearing something that doesn't feel true.  On my rant-of-the-month (sorry) ... I notice most beauty vloggers wear big statement necklaces, usually in 'modern' designs.  Then I saw that most are affiliates to Bauble Bar or a similar online shop.  What a surprise!!!  I get it that if you're in front of a camera from the waist up, a necklace frames everything nicely, but it is now so cookie cutter predictable, and many of the pieces are cheap, so this look bores me.  Your piece is something unique  though.  If you want to give it away, or whatever, of course do that ... do whatever you want to do with it.  But one idea is to make it into a brooch (broach? pin :-) ) or some other piece of jewelry if that suits you more.  A bracelet?  A tiara?!!  I'm not a big brooch wearing either, but I like them with shawls or maybe your blanket wrap, and I've seen them pinned to clutches and other bags in a really pretty way.  Frida Kahlo had a way of wearing ornate pieces of jewelry in a way that wasn't fussy or stuffy. 

I so stay away from necklaces because I don't want any extra attention to my below-face area; I hate stares to  my breasts.