News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Baby shower gift...  (Read 1792 times)

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
Baby shower gift...
« on: April 28, 2015, 12:05:17 PM »
My sister is having a little girl in May.  I made these little flip-flops for a shower gift.
(just an aside -- this is her 2nd baby, so they are not calling it a "shower", they call it a "sprinkle".  I'd never heard of this before.  :rollseyes:)
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

SusanG

• Platinum Member
Re: Baby shower gift...
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 01:09:31 PM »
Those have got to be the most adorable little flip-flops I've ever seen!   :heartthrob:

(I've never heard of a "sprinkle", either.)
  • Complexion: Fair: MAC NC15, Ivory in Dior
  • Hair: Natural light brown with a little silver, pixie cut

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 06:35:13 PM »
Thank you, SusanG!  I hope to one day take up knitting & make some fine knitted items.  I don't know why I'm so intimidated by the idea though.  But until then, I'm having fun with the crochet.  :grin:
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 10:39:11 AM »
That is soooooo cute! I want to crochet a pair! where did you get the pattern?

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 06:56:13 PM »
Thank you, Milla.  Here is a link for the pattern:
http://www.whistleandivy.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Strap-Baby-Flip-Flops-edit2onblog1.pdf

There is also a video tutorial.  I'll try to find it & post a link.  I found it very helpful.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 11:04:53 AM »
Sooooo adorable, Lucy!  You are really talented lady and I mean that!!

I've never heard of sprinkle, too. 
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 11:24:58 AM »
Lucy - those are darling and you are very talented! I love your color selection and they are just perfect in every way.

As for calling it a sprinkle, that's news to me, too. I'm starting to feel my age as younger people begin establishing new traditions!
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 02:11:04 PM »
We'll I am happy that none of you had ever heard the term "Sprinkle"  for a baby shower before either! :lol:

Not only is this my sister's 2nd, but it's her 2nd girl, & the same time of year.  First was April, & 2nd due in May. So she is already set for lots of things.
My gift will be the little flip-flops & a matching little  headband (w/big flower!)

Milla, I found the video. It's on this page:
http://www.whistleandivy.com/2014/06/crochet-baby-flip-flop-sandals.html

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 03:45:02 PM »
Oh, I love the matching headband with the big flower!

My niece is having her first, a girl, in August and I'm making her a baby blanket but I definitely will have to find the knitted equivalent of that darling headband and make one. I might even have to learn crochet to make the flower!
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusanG

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 05:46:26 AM »
Such a sweet headband! ILLucy, you are so talented!
  • Complexion: Fair: MAC NC15, Ivory in Dior
  • Hair: Natural light brown with a little silver, pixie cut

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 02:30:38 PM »
Those flip-flops are mega-cute, I have never seen anything like them!
  • Complexion: NC 15 winter, NC 20 summer. Still oily.
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2015, 02:16:19 AM »
Thank you for the link  ILucy, they are adorable! I'm going to make a pair but I don't know if they will turn up as lovely as yours. You are TTB's Crochet Queen!xx

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2015, 07:22:56 AM »
Thank you for the link  ILucy, they are adorable! I'm going to make a pair but I don't know if they will turn up as lovely as yours. You are TTB's Crochet Queen!xx

Haha! I don't know about that! I think I'm just the one who is most prolific at posting pictures.  :wink:
You probably won't hear a peep out of me when I try knitting.
Also just want to say that if I can do this, anyone can!  The internet makes it easy with all the video tutorials, & helpful forums.
Today is the "Sprinkle".  I hope she likes my gift.  :)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2015, 09:56:46 PM »
I'm sure she loved your gift. It was perfect - darling and handmade with lots of love.

While I agree that the internet makes learning new skills much more accessible I really encourage you to find a local yarn store or community ed class to learn knitting if possible. I think that having someone to show you how and then help you find your own style is important. I'm still trying to learn a slightly different way of holding my left needle so that my left hand doesn't hurt when I knit and it has been challenging. I wish I had a LYS to turn to for help and advice.

But do try knitting. You might find you enjoy it as much as crocheting and knowing both opens up so many more possibilities. As for taking pics of your knitting, all I'll say is that I have some sample pieces from my recent attempts to relearn holding the left needle that no one but me will ever see. :)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2015, 09:30:08 AM »
Lucy, did your sister love the gifts?  I know she did!  I love the headband, too. I may have to make one for me!!  :lol: No, seriously, I have to make one for me.

I learn to knit before I learn to crochet, Lucy.  I think the transition from knitting to crochet was easier than if I had not learned how knit. I'm sure that it would be the same the other way around.  But, I agree with Styyna. I think you should take one class, at least.  I took a day class and it was fun and once you learn the basic, like crochet, it's just practice, practice and more practice.  8)

And, you can incorporate both in your work. I've seen the body of a project done in knitting and it's finished with crochetting. With your talent, you can easily learn knitting and incorporate both techniques. 

I crochet a shawl for a friend at work who will celebrate her 28th with the firm!  I'll take a picture before I give it to her. I hope she likes it.
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2015, 10:56:39 AM »
SusieQ, you definitely need to show us a picture of the shawl you crocheted! I'm sure it's beautiful and we'd love to see it.

And about using both knitting and crochet in one project, the only crocheting I've done was to add a simple border around an afghan I knitted years ago. I really enjoyed it. Like knitting, there was a fun and soothing rhythm to it.