News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: American wool  (Read 610 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
American wool
« on: April 30, 2015, 12:58:14 PM »
A friend of mine is going to NY next week. She likes knitting and she might go to the Purl Bee shop in SoHo. I have been told that I can suggest a late birthday present and I think I'd like some American yarn. Can anyone suggest any brands? Is Sky Blue an American grown yarn? I am a bit of a knitting geek and I have just got this 'thing' about knitting around the world! My latest acquisition is some yarn from the Faroe Islands!

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
Re: American wool
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 02:36:30 PM »
How nice!  With all my recent crocheting, you'd think I might know this, but I don't. The only yarn I've used so far is the inexpensive, chain-store variety, & not wool. I bet  Styyna might have some ideas though.  Or I could do some research for you.  :)
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 03:54:47 PM »
Sad to say, I don't know of any American-sourced yarns off hand except for a very small local alpaca source near where I live and they only sell at local festivals and markets.

My favorite yarn dyer is here in the US but she sources her fiber both domestically and internationally. She's very protective about her sources but I'm sure there are other companies that are more open. You might write to Purl Soho (Purl Bee's shopping arm) and ask them if they sell American yarns and which brands. They have a form on their site here.

Good luck finding what you're looking for!
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 04:43:13 PM »
Thank you for your advice, I think I will e-mail PurlBee!

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 09:55:00 AM »
Hi Milla,
Sorry late to the party!  Lion Brand and Red Heart have wool yarns.  :)
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves