News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: skin care ingredients  (Read 5073 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
skin care ingredients
« on: June 12, 2015, 04:06:01 AM »
I used to give the ingredient list in skin care products a cursory look...until I discovered Beautypedia. Now I am obsessed with ingredients and I make lists that I take with me when I go shopping. The thing is, whereas certain things are definitely a no-no (i.e. fragrance, artificial colorants) others are good / bad according to different sources. I am trying to avoid parabens and things that irritate your skin and block your pores, but I am really confused about some other stuff.
Do you read ingredient lists? Am I going maaaad?

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Re: skin care ingredients
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 08:02:21 AM »
I don't read ingredient lists. I know, shame on me!

I have a lot of faith in Paula's Choice products since she's responsible for Beautypedia (isn't she?). They work for me without negative side effects and there certainly don't appear to be any fragrances or colors added to them. As for the myriad of other ingredients, my brain is full of stuff but not that information and it seems like the list of potential ingredients is endless. Not to mention, as you said, there's not always agreement about what's good and what's not.

I suspect that there are others who will respond who are on the opposite end of the spectrum from me. And that's good. Just because I haven't encountered problems doesn't mean others haven't and the whole point of TTB is to share experiences, ideas, and suggestions.

Do I think you are going maaaad? Not at all. I think you are doing what's right for you. :)
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 09:51:57 AM »
I didn't look at ingredients, too, for a long time but I do now.  I have many on my list based on Paula's Choice videos and yes, she is responsible for Beautypedia.  I used to check that site all the time but since I've changed almost all to PC's products, I'm not prowling the site as often as I used to...she has anything to say about orchids.  :D

I trust her products and my skin looks good. Her products are not drugstore prices but they are certainly not high end prices, either.  Her prices are quite reasonable in my opinion because if you know me, I have paid for $150.00 for a moisturizer. 

But, when I am see a new product out, I do check beautypedia.

Milla, I don't your crazy either!.  We have to be careful what we put on our face and how we spend out money.   I have list but the two on the top of the list are alcohol and fragrance.
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

silverstreak

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 05:08:12 AM »
Very sensible to look at ingredients. I also keep an eye out for articles similar to
np.reddit.com/r/SkincareAddiction/comments/19yazf/psa_the_potential_link_between_parabens_and/
and in this way I try to keep a balanced view.
Having had breast cancer in 2013 and all clear in 2014 I am also careful what I ingest and what I put on my hair and skin.
  • Complexion: olive
  • Eyes: brown
  • Hair: white & grey, straight but coarse & thick.
silverstreak

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 06:37:59 AM »
You are very smart to consider what you put on and in your body. I really hadn't thought through the possible long-term consequences.

Congratulations on becoming clear of breast cancer and may you have continued and long good health.  :flowers2:
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 11:06:37 AM »
You know I'm pretty careful with skin care, but the whole issue with parabens I think has been overblown. If they were THAT bad, a whole lot of people would be very ill. The thing is, they are excellent preservatives, and preservatives are essential if a product has any water, or the kinds of oils that aren't stable. Sure, there are alternatives, but many might not be as effective, or cost-effective for that matter. Trust me, you DON'T want mold in your skin care products, or rancid oils. That's the problem with some of the lovely-sounding stuff at the natural foods store - you open the jar or bottle when you get home, and it's RANCID because it's been sitting on the shelf for far too long, and smells really bad too.:( I think having a whole healthy lifestyle overall is best, followed by finding skin care stuff that does agree with one for what one wants to achieve. Just my take here!:)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 01:03:54 PM »
Just wanted to say welcome to Silverstreak!  And, yes congratulations on your remission and we all wish you the best of health!

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 10:53:29 PM »
Welcome SilverStreak, great news!
I am not  sure about parabens either, but you cannot be too careful and both my sisters had breast cancer (fortunately they are fine now, and have been clear for quite a few years). I am also concerned about fragrance and alcohol;  I want to make sure that what I put on my skin will make a difference (peptides, anti-oxidants and so on). I used to be quite sceptical about face creams but I have changed:I think  they do make a difference. I have been meaning to get some samples from PC for a while.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 09:50:37 AM »
I think that's why I love PC's products. She includes great ingredients in her all her products. 

Here's the recent "live chat" - well of course not anymore-  and Paula is there. It's interesting what she says about mineral oil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQx3B6XOWyc

If the link doesn't work, just google PC's youtube and it's the recent video.

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 02:48:56 AM »
I do not buy anything with SLS, and try to avoid parabens, too. That is why I like hygienic pump bottles, not jars or bottles. Of course, my reason for avoiding SLS like plague is the perioral dermatitis I had. Do not want to risk another flare-up. It was really a bother!
  • Complexion: NC 15 winter, NC 20 summer. Still oily.
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 05:08:42 PM »
Your link works, SusieQ. Alas, I have no sound on my computer so will have to watch the video from my iPad later. Thanks for sharing though.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2015, 09:28:04 AM »
She's quite an interesting woman.  I don't know enough about her beginning but she gives a snapshot of her education and how she got started in the skincare business. I'm sure she has an autobiography book and I would reallyl be interested in reading it. 

silverstreak

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 08:35:55 AM »
Thank you ladies. Now all I have to do is not put anymore links in my replies, I've had my hands smacked a couple of times already, I need to behave. 
Love Styyna's Cherokee proverb, I think it is you to a tee!
Milla - tell your sisters I did not take the prescribed drugs but took Artemisinin tablets and drank home grown Artemisia Annua tea. I decided to go down this route after reading papers by Prof Henry Lai and Prof Najendra Singh, Washington State University.  Prof Lai has been very supportive and quite thrilled that I was all clear.  Still taking and will continue for the whole 5 year period.
silverstreak

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 08:46:06 AM »
@silverstreak: please tell more about this artemesia tea and why it takes a whole 5 years to do, and what it does. Does it improve skin, or is it a general, very slow-acting tonic that's beneficial for one's whole body?

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2015, 11:56:21 AM »
I have never heard of it! tell me more...

silverstreak

• Silver Member
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2015, 09:14:26 AM »
cara4art:  I have to post 10 comments before I can link all the latest research to do with Artemisinin, so be patient. Prof Lai thinks that because I was caught at an early stage and because I was determined to go down this route positive thinking probably had something to do with the cure as well.  Artemisinin has a very bitter taste as does fresh/dried artemisia annua tea.  I grew my own because everything on the market seemed to be mostly stem and stalk which is not the best part, the leaf is the most potent part.

milla:  Google "artemisia annua" the Chinese have been using it for yonks!  I was given some seeds and Bob I planted and harvested last October, I have another couple of rows planted this year which will be ready to be harvested this October as well.  Will need a new freezer!  Bob suffered dreadfully when the weather changed and after drinking this tea daily he doesn't suffer as much.  We drink one mug each for 2 weeks then take a break for 2 days.  I sleep much deeper and I no longer wake up at 5am!!  On average I manage 7 hours sleep instead of the 5 I used to get.

silverstreak

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2015, 10:27:52 AM »
@silverstreak: - I just googled that, and it seems that it's a malaria, cancer, and certain type of parasite treatment. Were you very ill with any of these conditions? Just curious!:) What has this to do with skin care ingredients, may I ask? Again, just curious!:)

silverstreak

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2015, 06:29:19 AM »
@silverstreak: please tell more about this artemesia tea and why it takes a whole 5 years to do, and what it does. Does it improve skin, or is it a general, very slow-acting tonic that's beneficial for one's whole body?

Artemisia tea is what the Chinese have used for centuries as a cure all.  Best way to understand is to google it.  I cannot attach any of my ref papers because transferring them from pdfs to jpgs would make them all too big.
5 years - apparently according to Cancer UK, et al, if I stay clear for 5 years the chances of a recurrence are close to 0
That is why I will continue taking Artemisinin tablets w/iron and drinking the artemisia tea
silverstreak

silverstreak

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 11:38:29 AM »
You know I'm pretty careful with skin care, but the whole issue with parabens I think has been overblown. If they were THAT bad, a whole lot of people would be very ill. The thing is, they are excellent preservatives, and preservatives are essential if a product has any water, or the kinds of oils that aren't stable. Sure, there are alternatives, but many might not be as effective, or cost-effective for that matter. Trust me, you DON'T want mold in your skin care products, or rancid oils. That's the problem with some of the lovely-sounding stuff at the natural foods store - you open the jar or bottle when you get home, and it's RANCID because it's been sitting on the shelf for far too long, and smells really bad too.:( I think having a whole healthy lifestyle overall is best, followed by finding skin care stuff that does agree with one for what one wants to achieve. Just my take here!:)

I agree with you re the parabans and the link I gave basically said that the American Cancer Society  said there is "no proof of a linkage between Parabens in skin care products and cancer".
silverstreak

silverstreak

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2015, 11:14:44 AM »

Here for information
http://www.naturalnews.com/046903_natural_cures_Johanna_Budwig_cancer.html#ixzz3WvAqdYrC
http://www.healthyfoodhouse.com/amazing-herb-kills-cancer-cells-in-just-16-hours/
There are a lot more but I don't want to bury you with too much - ask if you want more.
silverstreak

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2015, 12:34:01 PM »
The articles make very interesting reading especially the first one, about Johanna Budwig's findings. as for the second article (the one on Artemisia) I cannot help thinking that the claim 'it can kill 98% of lung cancer cells in less than 16 hours' is a bit far-fetched to put it mildly.  I  am aware of the controversy re. parabens, but I am not totally convinced....

gilberte

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2015, 06:31:15 PM »
Welcome, Silverstreak and I share the others' wishes for you that you thrive and remain free of all illness!  Thanks for the tea info. 

I also don't freak about parabens, and don't go out of my way to avoid them.  I have liked Paula since she started, 20+ years ago, though now I find that she's been bought out by someone, or else she has someone else writing all of the copy on her site and it's not as informative or unbiased as it used to be.  So that is a disappointment, but I like her products which I've bought (BHA, makeup, and sunscreens).  She used to have wonderful eyeshadow singles, but no more.  While I like some Beautypedia information, some of it seems  off, or rather, not helpful to me; it's no longer a reference I swear by, and no, there is no ftrustworthy reference in the wild world of cosmetic marketing.  I like her but I no longer like her as much as I used to. Though I give her credit for being a made-in-America (I think??) and reasonably priced line. 

Emily

• Dermology
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2015, 01:33:51 AM »
Retinol is the most important ingredient you skincare product must have.

himanshu12

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2015, 04:04:40 AM »
Natural ways can prove to be the best way to preserve your skin’s glow. Natural skin tips care are easy to apply and you can see instant results and it’s not very tiring as well. Some skin care tips are good night sleep, regular exfoliation is very important and a cleansing routine must be adopted to get the perfect glow in your 40s. Consumption of water and kicking soda and coffee out of your routine is also very important.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2015, 11:37:53 AM »
Water  and sleep are vital, but some women find that  their sleeping pattern becomes erratic during and after menopause; unfortunately I am one of them.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2015, 07:46:55 AM »
My sleep pattern has changed drastically in the past year or two (and I am years past menopause). For years I was a night owl, staying up until 2, 3, or even, sometimes, 4 AM. Then out of the blue I started getting sleepy at 8 or 9 PM and waking at 3 or 4 AM. Usually I wake up around midnight or 1 AM and have to get up for a few minutes before I can settle back to sleep.

I have no idea what triggered the change. I'm still getting enough good sleep so I feel good during the day but I worry that my involuntary sleep changes aren't done.

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2015, 11:24:06 AM »
That is very true about sleep patterns changing after menopause - it's due to the hormonal shifts. I never had a problem in my LIFE sleeping until well after menopause(like 15 years or so). I always slept soundly through the night and got my full 7 hours too, which I need to feel right(although 8 is better:). People say that one "doesn't need as much sleep" as one gets older but I have NOT found that to be the case whatsoever. Now, I have no trouble GETTING to sleep - it's staying asleep beyond 5 hours that's the problem. At least once a week I have a situation where I wake up after 4-5 hours of sleep and not able to get back to sleep. So I get up for a few hours and then later in the morning have to take a 2-hour snooze. Since I don't have to go to work, I can do this, and I do get my sleepI will NOT take sleeping pills - I do everything I can to assure good sleep hygiene including no screens whatsoever for a full hour before bed, I take my magnesium and Ashwaganda herb(helps with controlling cortisol and also general immunity), and just read my book in bed for a little while before sleeping.  I also get plenty of exercise, something else I totally need in order to sleep well. Sleep IS really really important for our health lifelong but after menopause even more so, because if we continue to not get enough sleep, many things go haywire, including our immunity. One time I read that continuing sleep deprivation causes as much body chemistry changes as gaining 30 pounds - pretty sobering, actually. Meanwhile there are many people going around in a sleep-deprived state, menopause or not.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2015, 01:08:41 PM »
Cara, my sleeping patterns are very similar to what you describe. I am sure that I should have a nap during the day; my grandmother always had a couple of hours in the afternoon and she lived to 96! But I just can't. Once I am up, I am on the go until it's time for bed (and that's between 10:30 and 11:00pm). Like you, I used to sleep soundly until the menopause.

silverstreak

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2016, 08:46:06 AM »
You are very smart to consider what you put on and in your body. I really hadn't thought through the possible long-term consequences.

Congratulations on becoming clear of breast cancer and may you have continued and long good health.  :flowers2:
Thank you so much Styyna, sorry I missed your post until today. Got my 2nd all clear year on Oct 14th 2015, yippee! Still taking Artemisinin with iron tablet and still drinking home grown artemisia annua tea, still tastes foul!
silverstreak

Angelcat47

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2016, 06:33:16 PM »
Silverstreak,Congratulations on your all clear 2nd anniversary!!   Yes, I always read ingredients. I want to know that  there's good ingredients and a good amount of them. I also avoid certain ingredients as I'm still acne prone and oily even at age 55.

As for parabens,they are the oldest,safest and most studied preservatives. I agree with Cara;without preservatives products would be contaminated,grow things and render the ingredients usless or even harmful.
  • Complexion: Light skintone,oily and somewhat sensitive
  • Hair: Medium brown with blonde highlights

silverstreak

• Silver Member
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2016, 11:54:30 AM »

Artemisia annua has been made into a medicinal drink by the Chinese as a cure all for decades and the best is to google as there are reams written about it.
silverstreak

silverstreak

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2016, 11:59:53 AM »
Apologies, I missed this post. It takes 5 clear years to say I have beaten breast cancer, so far I am 2 years clear. I continue taking Artemisinin & iron tablets together with the artemesia annua tea for the whole period.
I drink the tea for 3 reasons
1st:  to back up the Artemisinin tablets I take twice a day
2nd: to keep stiffness at bay (my husband drinks this as well and his stiffness is now no more and it is lovely to see him move without pain.
3rd:  it helps me get my 8 hours sleep
silverstreak

silverstreak

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2016, 11:56:11 AM »
Silverstreak,Congratulations on your all clear 2nd anniversary!!   Yes, I always read ingredients. I want to know that  there's good ingredients and a good amount of them. I also avoid certain ingredients as I'm still acne prone and oily even at age 55.

Thanks. Have you thought of using tea tree oil? Just Google "tea tree oil & jojoba oil as acne control?" well worth reading. Worked well for my daughter & granddaughter.
silverstreak

Angelcat47

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2016, 08:17:51 PM »
I was just reading my last post and realized I've added a year to my age(I'm 54)...and I need no extra in that department.

Anne, I often use jojoba oil to do a deep oil cleanse,which helps. Tea tree hasn't done much,however. I appreciate the suggestions,though. I'm back on Retin A 3 times per week,so it's slowly improving. I wouldn't mind it helping the wrinkles,either!

HazingBeauty

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2016, 03:40:14 AM »
To be honest, I don't look at the ingredients list. But I will start looking at the list, i.e if I remember.

silverstreak

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2016, 08:47:06 AM »
I was just reading my last post and realized I've added a year to my age(I'm 54)...and I need no extra in that department.

Anne, I often use jojoba oil to do a deep oil cleanse,which helps. Tea tree hasn't done much,however. I appreciate the suggestions,though. I'm back on Retin A 3 times per week,so it's slowly improving. I wouldn't mind it helping the wrinkles,either!

Missed your post until now - apologies. When my kids suffered with acne I mixed 6 drops of tea tree oil with 1 mug of warm water, soaked a clean facecloth in it and quickly placed it on face and left on until the towel cooled and most of the liquid soaked into face. Give it a go. The other way was to apply a drop of tea tree oil on a clean cottonwool bud & apply to the acne. Make sure you use a clean bud for each spot.
silverstreak

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2016, 02:36:06 AM »
Speaking about natural ingredients, has anyone tried apple cider vinegar as a toner? or herbal tea? (camomile and green tea).Any comments on this?

Angelcat47

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2016, 05:16:16 PM »
I have started using a new serum for acne and/or clogged pores and so far so good. I've been using it for about 3 weeks and haven't had a new pimple since I started. It has some unusual ingredients such as lemongrass and manuka oils,but it was these and the many great reviews on Amazon that attracted me.It's called Professional  Anti -Acne and Pore Minimizer Serum by Pure Body Naturals(19.99 for 1 oz.). It also contains Evermat and Salicyclic Acid. I've only been  using it once a day instead of the twice recommended but I think I will step it up and see if it helps more with the clogged pores. Story to be continued.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2016, 07:34:15 PM »
Speaking about natural ingredients, has anyone tried apple cider vinegar as a toner? or herbal tea? (camomile and green tea).Any comments on this?
Have tried any of these, milla. I think for me the apple cider may be too strong but the rest sounds good. I've using Paula's but I'm going to reorder since I wanted to try more of a rose toner and I found another rose toner to try and it arrived today. So, as Angel said, story to be continued.  :grin:

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2016, 12:27:37 PM »
I tried organic apple cider vinegar diluted with water and I did not like it at all (despite all the positive reviews in MUA). Camomile tea is good; I like to soak a cotton wool ball with lukewarm camomile infusion and wash my eyes in the evening. Very good if you have sensitive eyes

Jennn

• Bronze Member
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2016, 05:17:40 AM »
I always, always read the  ingredients list. I prefer to use natural products than this madе with chemicals.
Sometimes after I using  stronger chemical products my skin completely freak out. So I try to use organic products as far as possible. I added some basic natural cosmetics in my beauty routine.  I use argan oil for my scin and hair, lemon for my nails, rose water for my face.......