News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Swimsuits and summer clothing - r/o  (Read 1801 times)

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
Swimsuits and summer clothing - r/o
« on: June 28, 2015, 12:19:58 PM »
I'd love to think that at age 68, despite being fit, that I could be EXCUSED from having to wear a swimsuit. A couple of reasons - finances, as good swimsuits with beautiful construction that flatters mid-life and up bodies, is EXPENSIVE, and not to mention that older flesh, despite being in pretty good shape, is not unmarked. Actually, I feel this way about most summer clothes in general. WHAT do older women DO when it's hot out? Most of the so-called "fashion tips" for us don't resonate for me because I don't have mainstream-type of tastes for clothing for the most part aside from a few layering basics. Plus even when I was a lot younger I was never a summer-type of person, despite enjoying the beach back then. Since I live in SF, I don't have to worry about this too much as I'm covered up year-round, but still. Sometimes one may have to go somewhere else where it is indeed hot, or a beach! I used to love to swim and be on the beach, but it's utterly spoiled now with admonishments to avoid the sun, take care of one's skin(which I'm doing big-time, to try to blend in my facial sunspots), not to mention feeling REALLY REALLY self-conscious about exposing my body. I know, I know, there are people who have size 4(close to my size, depending on clothing manufacturer and the very real phenomenon of vanity sizing) bodies who feel extremely self-conscious about being in a swimsuit, while there are people 50 pounds overweight who don't have this problem - just two examples on the opposite ends of the spectrum. As far as my own body image, I forget about any problems when I'm working out, dancing, or preparing really healthy food, but when it comes to EXPOSURE, oh no. Yet on the other hand, I'm not a prude, if you get my drift. Just don't like being exposed in public. My most daring outfit is my workout wear, at the gym or dance classes LOL! Actually, it's been like that for a long time. Anyhow, just thoughts here!

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Swimsuits and summer clothing - r/o
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 02:14:54 PM »
I don't think that you or we  need to be excused for anything, cara.  We live in a time where ANYTHING goes. So, if you feel that you want to go to beach to swim or just watch the wave, I think that you can wear what you feel comfortable with. A pair of shorts and tank top, I don't see anything wrong with that.  Men wear swimming trunks, why not us?

I think that as long as you are not hurting anyone, you don't need anyone permission to do what you want to do - maybe no nudity in public. I may have to draw a line there. :)
 If someone wants to wear a bikini, hey, go for it!   Life is too short and we should enjoy it as much as we can.
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 02:50:15 PM »
@SusieQ: I know that, about anything goes. Actually, I had thought of using an old workout top plus a pair of old shorts(I know I can find these at the thrift shop) if indeed I were to go to the beach to swim. I simply refuse to pay $100 and up for a suitable swimsuit!:( Luckily around here the water is too cold to go in anyway. Meanwhile, DH would just LOVE it if I wore a swimsuit, and even wanted to photograph me in one a couple of times. I did let him do it once, but not now. I think he understands. He hates to see women go through the things we do with trying to find clothes.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 09:38:28 AM »
Your workout/swimsuit idea sounds great, cara! It is definitely too cold in the city, anytime of the year, to dip one's toe in the water. Brrrrrrrr :snowhouse:
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 10:21:24 AM »
@SusieQ: No, I don't wear the t-shirt+shorts combo for working out, as I do like to look a little nicer than that. A couple of years ago, I got thoroughly sick of wearing a really ratty sleeves-cut-off t-shirt plus a stretched out pair of black workout pants that I just had to switch up to something a little nicer and fit my body better, so now I do have a nice black workout top and black compression-type of capris. The t-shirt+shorts combo idea is solely for swimming, if indeed I do implement that idea. Anywhere I would be swimming if that even happened would NOT be at some fancy resort - more like on a more remote beach. My only shorts in my adult life have been strictly DIY with cut-off jeans. I've never even BOUGHT a pair of shorts LOL! And I don't wear shorts in the city, even on one of our occasional hot days(which will be coming in September and October in SF. OK, maybe around the house if it's THAT hot which it usually doesn't get, especially in our well-insulated older building LOL! But out and about, I still wear my jeans even when it's warm! People have sometimes wondered why I don't show off my body more, but I'm not one of these who feels comfortable doing so - I prefer being covered up, and have the lines of my clothes just suggest what's underneath. At the same time I'm NOT into baggy clothes - they overwhelm my small frame.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 01:29:09 PM »
Cara - just throwing in my 2 cents' worth here...I think that you can and should swim in whatever makes you feel comfortable, especially if you're planning on a remote beach. Really, even if there are other people there, they'll be strangers. Who cares what they think? Chances are that you'll never encounter them again except possibly at that beach. In swimming pools they have different rules due to the filtration equipment but you're not talking about going to a swimming pool. So, be yourself, be comfortable, and have a great time if you go to the beach!
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 01:55:28 PM »
Thanks Styyna! Sometimes it's those of us with less to worry about with our bodies who are the most self-conscious LOL! Said remote beach would be in Hawaii if we go there again. No plans at the moment though. Most of our northern beaches here on the West Coast are a bit too chilly for swimwear anyway. And for non-beach wear I have my jeans and a few thin cotton or linen tunic tops which suit me just fine and they're not frumpy either. I rarely rarely ever dress up and don't have to think about that with my lifestyle event though I do live in a large city.

gilberte

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 02:03:46 PM »
Cara, just posting to say I share your question and am not sure either.  I don't like swimming in polluted water and unfortunately that rules out lots of the beaches in touristy places (Mexico) oops, I'm getting off the subject.  And chlorine, no thanks.  I was on the swim team as a teenager so used to love swimming but all those laps made me dread it.  I've started living a more tropical lifestyle where I try to stay inside from late morning until late afternoon to avoid the sun, and also wear jeans or long pants when I'm out, or a dress.  I have shorts for gardening or hanging out at home though. 

Lots of people at beaches wear rashguards, which are like thin wetsuits ... this would work on top anyway. 

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 08:08:41 AM »
@gilberte: I'm so glad you understand, but it's not surprising that you would!:) Also not a fan of swimming pools, as I grew up swimming in ocean water. Pools just feel very unnatural to me. I remember I cried when I first went into one, because of feeling the cement under my feet instead of sand!;( This was at the age of 13 in another town with a friend. Pools are lovely to look at though at resorts, but I'm not even the type to "lounge around the pool" LOL But back to you, I'm with you on the sort of tropical lifestyle too! We got into that as a natural rhythm while living in New Mexico during the warm months. Even at our elevation it could still be in the low 90s during the summer, and mid-days well into the afternoon were too bright and warm to be out and about all that much. I often wouldn't take my nearly-daily 5-6 mile walk until 7pm. Please tell me, what is a "rashguard"? Is it to protect the skin from chafing during running or something? I don't run, so maybe that's why I don't know.

SusanG

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 01:08:05 PM »
Forgive my butting in, Cara, but Lands' End has a wide variety of rashguard t-shirts:

http://www.landsend.com/shop/womens-swimsuits-swimsuit-cover-ups-rash-guards/-/N-fxp?cm_re=nav-_-women-_-featureshop-_-swimshop
  • Complexion: Fair: MAC NC15, Ivory in Dior
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Natural light brown with a little silver, pixie cut

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 03:34:39 PM »
@SusanG: Oh OK!:) That's what they are - simply long-sleeved t-shirts for sun protection!:) Maybe they'll be doing leggings like this next LOL!:)

gilberte

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2015, 05:56:10 PM »
They are what surfers wear when they paddle out, supposedly keeping them from a certain rash.  But I've had a couple and they're quite nice and come in lots of pretty colors, so you could find one that suits you.  They are very lightweight and feel silky, as if you have nothing on.  Honestly, a rashguard and a bathing suit bottom, or a pair of shorts, is a really cute outfit.   Women surfers sometimes wear them with long board shorts (baggy, also in lightweight silky fabrics and sometimes in Hawaiian fabrics!)  You've seen the suits that competitive swimmers now wear?  One-piece stretchy things that go from ankles to neck and long-sleeved, but also very lightweight and supposedly they allow swimmers to go through the water a bit quicker.  Anyway, the covered-up look for swimming is not so rare! 

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 11:24:21 AM »
What Styyna said.  :lol:

For example, I am 50 yrs old, size 3x, and wear a bikini whenever the weather allows it in my backyard and on my holidays.

I was very self-conscious when I was young and normal weight. Now I think everybody┬┤s concentrating on themselves, not on me. And, if someone does not like what they see, tough, they can turn their eyes in another direction. I want to enjoy life.

However, when I am in town, I do not wear shorts, it has to be capris. But the beach is another story.

I am 100 % sure you look GREAT Cara, so why not enjoy summer and beaches in whatever clothes you choose?
  • Complexion: NC 15 winter, NC 20 summer. Still oily.
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.

gilberte

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 10:16:07 AM »
Very cool what you are saying, Anne!!  I agree.  I have shorts and wear them except that I don't want sun which means sunscreen and I'm often too lazy so sometimes wear leggings under them when I ride my bike.   And then where I live there is poison oak, so pants are a better idea when I'm hiking.   But I care very little now what other people think of my clothes.  I don't want to be an eyesore, but comfort and functionality are my main criteria.  When I was young and had a 'perfect' (LOL!  I'm joking) body I was anxious and much more neurotic!  Now I see that being alive, healthy, and able to do so many things I love is a great gift and I don't get all worried about what someone might think if they saw my legs or stomach.  Probably they wouldn't think a thing!  So funny what we humans do inside our minds.  Anyway, I totally agree with you and Stynna -- wear whatever you want, and enjoy swimming.

I have a bikini top that fits and a bottom of another color & brand that fits my lower half, totally a mix-up, again, who cares.  If I were going to be on a beach for long in the sun I'd get a rashguard ... I used to have one & quite liked it.   I also have a wetsuit because northern California water is cold.  I used to boogie board a lot :-)  lots of fun.

About riding a bike:  when I arrive somewhere, people who see me in my helmet or whatever always congratulate me, thank me, give me lots of strokes.  So the goofy clothes are worth it.  And I get my cardio in without an extra gym visit. 

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2015, 12:16:52 PM »
If I did go to anywhere where it's warm enough to swim(not likely as far as I can see right now), I think maybe I might just wear an old t-shirt/tank top(WITH bra underneath, as I CAN'T go without being 34D) and thin shorts(could get these at a second hand store) I'm simply NOT willing to spend $100 and up for a truly flattering swimsuit that I might wear only once every few years anyway.