News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Update: How to water your orchids while on VACATION  (Read 960 times)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
Update: How to water your orchids while on VACATION
« on: July 04, 2015, 11:04:52 AM »
As I read and read more about orchids the more I see how there are soo many conflicting advise on how to grow orchids in your home.  One of the ones I read was that you can leave you orchid in water while you are on vacation to insure moistures. But, after reading and reading and reading some more, the best I read was that you can keep your orchid in water if the water and the bottom of your pot is separated by pebbles. The same way you would use to increase humidity.

If you are going to be on vacation, you just need to increase the water and pebbles.  I think the plastic container still stands if you have lots of orchids but use whatever you have in the home to separate the water and the bottom of your pot.

The idea is to keep water under your orchid pot without touching it. If you have one or two and you don't want to shell out the money for pebbles, use rocks or  a small container that  you can sit your pot above the water.
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Re: Update: How to water your orchids while on VACATION
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 07:22:11 PM »
We haven't yet decided on growing orchids but if we do we will be thanking you over and over again for sharing your knowledge and growing expertise.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 10:01:51 AM »
I'm happy to share what I can, Styyna.  So much to learn!  I am enjoying my new hobby and as we progressed thru summer, most of the flowers from my orchids as slowing dying off. It's so sad to see that but I know it just means that dormancy and rest is near. :sleep:

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 10:20:36 AM »
OK, I have to ask...how long is the dormancy period? Until next spring? Or can they bloom again sooner?
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 10:32:13 AM »
The orchid will tell you by the changing of the leaves and finally falling off. They look like their dying. The leaves turn yellow and fall off.  I guess, they are similar to a tulip build dormancy period.  But, once the leaves are all gone, this can happen any time from Thanksgiving to Christmas.  Christmas is considered the last day that they need to go into dormancy.  Because a lot of orchids now a days are bred in a lab to get the benefit of beauty and hardiness, each orchid created will react differently to living conditions.  I made a video about one of  my catasetums going to dormancy in the summer!  All the leaves started turning yellow but now it's starting to come back to life.

If the orchids don't go into dormancy, I pretty much need to make help them go into dormancy by cutting all the leaves and I would place them in the closet and do not think about them until maybe February.  No lights or water during the dormancy period. i think that's why I purchased so many of them. I am just fascinated by their cultural period.

I am now in my experimental stage with my orchids.  This is the period where the care will bring me flowers next year or not. I'm not worried that some may not bloom for me but as long as I don't kill any of them, I will be happy and hopefully be able to modify the orchids living condition based on how they do next year.