News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: A wardrobe for for a new life style  (Read 4167 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
A wardrobe for for a new life style
« on: July 29, 2015, 05:45:49 PM »
Since I retired 16 months ago, my life has changed quite a bit. I have two grandchildren ; I have volunteered in a local school and thoroughly enjoyed it; DH and I have had a few holidays, nothing exotic, but very relaxing. I have less money, for sure, but I have time to pursue my hobbies and interests. I feel healthier and fitter.
Living in London, I can enjoy a lot of things for free: parks, outdoor theatre performances, museums… I could go out every day, spend virtually nothing and still have a good time. I have also  joined the local leisure centre and, for a very small yearly fee, I can do a number of classes at half-price. To give you an idea, a 90 minute yoga session costs me £3.15 (about $4.91), which is not bad at all by London standards.
My ‘look’ has changed as well; no need for formal, ‘corporate’ dressing, which is definitely a plus. When I retired I gave away a lot of clothes and for a while I just enjoyed  living  in jeans and t-shirts. Then I ‘discovered’ charity shops and I bought quite a few things; I thought I was getting bargains, but I ended up with a number of odd bits and pieces that did not quite work. Recently I had another wardrobe purge and got rid of most of my charity shop ‘bargains’…I kept just a few things: a couple of dresses and a brilliant jacket that will stay in my wardrobe forever!
But  I am still trying to find a ‘look’ that fits my new life.
As a young woman I favoured dark colours, jeans, polo necks and jackets. Very simple, uncomplicated clothes somehow suited me perfectly. I am still very weary of what I call ‘fussy’ dressing, but I have come to realise that what suits with at 20- something might just look a bit sombre at 60- something. I would like to bit a bit more adventurous with prints… and I guess colour would brighten up my (mature) features…
I don’t want to buy lots of things and I don't want to compromise on quality; to put it simply, I would like to get a few well-made things that will last me for a long time and that I will enjoy wearing.
Any thoughts on this?

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
Re: A wardrobe for for a new life style
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 10:20:23 PM »
It sounds like you know your style really well!:) Just find well-made things that really fit you well, maybe adding some flattering-to-you color in the way of accents if you're not comfortable in a new color in a whole item of clothing. A sharp-looking jacket that goes with everything can go a long way as well. An accessory that adds pizzazz to a plainer outfit can be nice too. Then on the other hand, there are those people who really do pull of very plain, almost monastic looks really well. It take a bit of experimenting. Perhaps a new makeup too, if you wear it? Just a couple of thoughts here. And no, one DOESN'T have to follow a lot of the positively dreary advice about stuff being "age-appropriate" either, aside from common sense that is. What counts is what looks great on one's particular body, coloring, and also, one has to feel right in it. That last is very important, because one can look amazing in something, but if one values comfort at all, one won't feel right and it will show. Then it's a case of the clothes wearing the person rather than the other way around. Anyhow, just thoughts here!:)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 09:54:54 AM »
I agree with Cara that you know your own style well. I also agree that colorful accents might be the way to go, at least to start. They can take your tried and true basics from somber to chic in a hurry. Then, if you find you like more color up by your face, you might try investing in a pretty print top or even a print dress to wear with a solid jacket.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 10:13:55 AM »
One thing is for sure, impulse buying is a thing of the past as far as I am concerned (not that I have ever been much into impulse buying but I have had my silly moments). I prefer trousers to dresses, and I have enough plain dresses to last me for quite a few years. They are the sort of dresses that, you both pointed out, can be accessorised with scarves or jewellery. I don’t follow trends but I bought a peasant-style top, because I liked it and the print is small. I don’t think that the monastic look suits me, it makes me look very severe, it is just that I am not very good at combining colours and accessories, so I err  on the safe (=plain) side. I am not very adventurous.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 10:05:01 AM »
One thing is for sure, impulse buying is a thing of the past as far as I am concerned (not that I have ever been much into impulse buying but I have had my silly moments). I prefer trousers to dresses, and I have enough plain dresses to last me for quite a few years. They are the sort of dresses that, you both pointed out, can be accessorised with scarves or jewellery. I don’t follow trends but I bought a peasant-style top, because I liked it and the print is small. I don’t think that the monastic look suits me, it makes me look very severe, it is just that I am not very good at combining colours and accessories, so I err  on the safe (=plain) side. I am not very adventurous.
Perhaps, it's time to dip your toes in the adventure pool even to just test the water.  :thumbup: Trying clothes is free. But, I also know it's very time consuming.  Maybe when you are out and about, you think  of an outfit that you know it's not your style but curious to see how it may look on you. I'm not talking about clothes for the 20 or 30 something group. Something out of your comfort zone but wondered what it would look on you. No cost to trying something the next time you happen to be passing by a clothing shop.  :wink:
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 07:22:10 AM »
Something amusing...
The other day my DD (to be 17 this month) informed me that I should never wear "all beige (tan?)", or "beige & white".   She has come to the conclusion that "old" people wear beige.   
I do sometimes throw caution to the wind, however, & wear my tan colored shorts with a white T-shirt!  :lol:
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 08:05:50 AM »
What colors would your DD see you wearing?  I ask because sometimes a youthful outlook can be beneficial.

It's hard but I try to remain in touch with young people as much as possible. Not too many that want to hang out with this woman who turns 60 in a month, :P. I find youthful outlooks refreshing at times and absurd at others but always welcome. They help keep me from getting too stuck in my ruts.

For example, this long-term holdout on cell phones except for cheapies for having in the car when traveling is getting an iPhone for her birthday. Texting on my cheapie has been much too difficult and it doesn't take good pictures for those spontaneous opportunities. Since texting is the only way to reach a few people in my life, it's important that I get on that bandwagon. Besides, I have an iPad and I love it. An iPhone will just be a smaller, faster iPad with some more capabilities.
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 10:03:51 AM »
@Styyna: I completely agree about staying in touch with younger people!:) In fact, most of my acquaintances are MUCH younger than I am, and age never seems to be an issue in the community that I have gravitated towards(the flow arts, with hoopers, poi-spinners, circus arts, etc.), as it is the least-judgmental one I have come across and that's saying something. Said community has all sorts, and pretty much thumbs their collective noses at "typical fashion advice" and follows their own styles which are pretty diverse actually. So happy to have found this myself. While I know not everyone would relate to that, still looking around helps. Look at blogs and magazines, etc. aimed at younger people. So what if one can't wear everything due to one's particular body shape, etc.? There's likely something that one could take away that adds a fresh look anyway, maybe the way an accessory is worn, or a different color combo, or different proportions of clothing. If one looks at pix that feature people of similar coloring, and a similar style that one is after, that helps too. All just thoughts, and gets people out of the so-dreary "age-appropriate" box that mainstream tends to like to put mature women into. One thing that I saw an awful lot of when I lived in the Santa Fe area for mature women was the preponderance of "baggy tan linen" that post-menopausal women seem to have gotten into. I refused then to wear that look and you can be sure I avoid it now LOL. I have not one beige thing in my wardrobe, and I look awful in grey or navy for that matter. But I do wear black(for my neutral) well, even though "everyone" says that older women should avoid black. Again, nonsense! In my own case I've had compliments from younger people about the way I put myself together so I must be doing something right LOL! What counts is what looks great on one's particular body, and makes one feel great too.:) Good for you for getting an iPhone! When is your birthday - is it soon? Since you already have an iPad, you will love the phone. DH has the iPhone 6 along with his other Apple products, I just have my el-cheapo phone of the type you mention, my iTouch(which I can use for messaging if I'm somewhere with Wi-Fi or have my hot-spot with me). For years we both had our cheapies that we got through Radio Shack but since they went out of business, and our contracts are up this month, we won't be renewing them. Who knows, I might get an iPhone too, if I get sick of patching my communications together! Yes, texting is important these days, and way easier on newer smart phones and devices. Not all that long ago, people had to text using the number pad and I totally refused to do that. But with a little keyboard on the new phones, etc. texting is no different than sending an e-mail on one's computer save for the fact that it's more immediate. With younger people, they won't respond to an e-mail or a phone call but they do to a text. If one can't beat 'em, join 'em, so good for you!:)
But back to the style thing:
@milla: Since you have a good shape, I'll bet you'd look good in more things than you think!:) It's very common for people even in relatively good shape to be down on themselves because they don't have the 20-year-old body - nonsense! It's just different now. Plus the shift you mention about having retired. Now is the time when one can dress as one likes, and not have to conform to a work look if one had to do so. It just might take a little experimenting starting maybe with what you have already, and adding something new-to-you if you like. Looking at vendors(both online and off)that have the type of styles you like might be helpful too. About the monastic look, I only cited that as an example, not necessarily a recommendation for you. Since you mention you have trouble picking out things, do you have a friend or relative with a good eye who knows you well who could help? Not necessarily in going shopping with you(I myself HAVE to go alone shopping - I simply can't have anyone with me including DH), but maybe chatting or looking at a blog or magazine, or simply passing by a shop window. NOT the husband - in these cases asking one's mate doesn't necessarily work because either they are clueless about style in general, or they just say one looks "you look lovely" whatever one wears. While it's nice to hear the compliment, it's not really helpful for honing in on one's style or trying something new that might look good. Or they just want one undressed or just in sexy underwear 24/7(yes, there ARE men like that) LOL!

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 02:11:29 AM »
One of the things I miss about teaching is the daily contact with younger people. Yes it does keep you up-to-date with all the trends, even the silly ones! But I disagree that the young have all the secrets of style and I am reminded of one of my teachers (she taught Art, Cara!) who told us once that really stylish women only come into their own after 40!
IlLucy,  beige and white can be a very chic combination if you have the right colouring and if you are wearing the right clothes. A frumpy white skirt with a beige cardigan suits no-one, but say, a light beige suede skirt (or shorts) with a plain crisp white top will look good on a blonde, or a brunette, with a hint of a tan…listen to me, now I am talking like a fashion editor! :rollseyes:
I am going to do an experiment: I will lay down on my bed my favourite items of clothing,  the ones I can never part with, as well as my favourite accessories and see if that gives me a clue of what I want to wear now!

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 08:43:47 AM »
@milla: hopefully you didn't misunderstand me when I said about younger people. Like you, I don't necessarily think they have the up-and-up all the time when it comes to style. Yes, for some women, style doesn't really happen until after 40, but there are indeed some younger people who have a real head start on account of already being highly-creative and distinctive. As for beige and white, I have no doubt they can look elegant on the right people with the right clothes - I'm just not one of them. I own no whites or beiges in my wardrobe, nor my furnishings either. Rich color it is for me, in all things!:)

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 06:39:56 AM »

I am going to do an experiment: I will lay down on my bed my favourite items of clothing,  the ones I can never part with, as well as my favourite accessories and see if that gives me a clue of what I want to wear now!

Milla, I think that's a great idea!  I just might try it myself.  :D
And Styyna, I think you are going to love your iphone!
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

gilberte

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 06:48:54 PM »
I don't follow the age-appropriate rules either.  I teach at a university so am around 18+ year olds all the time, get along really well with almost all of them and adopt some, but not all, younger styles.  But I also see that I still wear the same styles of clothes which I've worn since my late teens, which were the hippie years in San Francisco: jeans, t-shirts, peasant-style blouses, flowing skirts & dresses including short skirts which now I wear over leggings or jeans.  I still wear cardigans, shawls, small floral prints ... I think the hippie look was a classic and am glad it still works, though of course it's modified and I wear tighter, skinnier jeans and a slightly different color palette.  And for my coloring -- I am a light spring if you are into seasonal colouring, and if you're not, it's oK :-) -- beige, or light tans and camels, work well, and many pastels.  But I avoid khakis, or rather, Docker style pants with belt loops, which I think are really aging though they are said to be the thing with Wall Street stockbrokers and Republican party members.  I have a beige or tan trench coat for rain which I love and the color works well on me ... but it's too heavy to take with me often.

I agree it might be interesting to see what your daughter picks out for you, and if you could incoporate some of it.  maybe not, but it'd be interesting to see.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 04:24:39 PM »
Talking about beige and white, I went out yesterday and I saw this woman wearing a white blouse, beige capri pants and nude heels. I really liked the look! It is a bit too  soignée for me, I cannot pull that kind of look on a daily basis but it did look very elegant.
I have looked at the clothes that I love wearing and narrowed it down to:  jeans, a chocolate brown suede jacket, a Breton style top, a black dress with a cowl-type neck, a burnt- orange light unstructured 3quarter length coat, a couple of black silky tops. I guess this makes me quite a boring dresser... :-\

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2015, 11:56:05 AM »
It sounds like you have some very good clothes that suit you. Next step, when it comes to buying anything new, is to see what these favorites have in common, so you can look for ones that will fit into what you have. Not everyone has to change everything, especially if they already have a strong sense of what suits them. Just a thought!:)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2015, 10:26:17 AM »
You are far from a boring dresser, Milla! You have a great sense of style and know what suits you well. I've seen enough of your outfits over the years to envy you great taste in clothing. You have a base upon which to build. I'm sure that over time your wardrobe will be well curated and just right for your lifestyle.

chataround

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2016, 05:14:22 PM »
Maybe it's not true for everyone, but in my opinion if you wear colors that suit your complexion, you really can't go wrong.

I have gotten into a terrible rut with my clothing. I wear scrubs all week (dental office) and then stuff myself into yoga pants whenever I'm not at work.
I think I have to get myself some flattering pairs of jeans.

I live in New York and dressing in black is practically a New York uniform. I have found myself gravitating to dark blue instead and am finding it to be a great neutral.
I was also a huge fan of red, and now gravitating to a softer pink. Toning it down a bit, I guess?

• Complexion: very fair, some slight rosacea
  • Eyes: hazel
  • Hair: slightly wavy, shoulder length, soft black
"Taking joy in living is a woman's best cosmetic."
                   - Rosalind Russell

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2016, 03:22:40 AM »
What type of colouring have you got, Chataround? If you like red, black and navy blue I am guessing that you may be more on the cool side, but I might be wrong. Black, red and navy blue are ‘safe’ colours for me, except that I don’t often go for red these days. I also used to wear a sort of uniform at work; in the UK most schools expect teachers to follow a dress code. I was once called to the Headmaster’s office because I was in a hurry one morning and wore denim trousers (not jeans with contrasting stitching, just plain, smart denim trousers). When I retired I really pared down my wardrobe, gave lots of stuff to charity, it was a kind of purification (!!); but after, I felt really confused: what am I going to wear now? This may sound really trivial, but retiring is a major life change, you re-assess yourself as a member of society and you have to find a new role.  (Self) image is important: you wake up on morning and you are not Ms Something or other, teacher, co-worker, head of department… you are another person and the day stretches ahead of you and you have all this time to yourself. You probably dreamt about this moment for years and now that it is a reality, what are you going to do with your time? Who are you going to be? And again, after dressing ‘for the job’ for so many years, you might think it is very liberating to wear casual clothes all the time, but you can also let yourself go. Some women explore their creative side and go for a very flamboyant look (‘when I get old I shall wear purple’… ); I admire their style but it is not me. So I have decided to look at the (young) woman I once was. I lost her somehow along the way…but I remember that she used to like simple lines, was not too scared of colour but was not too keen on prints, liked jeans and checked shirts for casual wear and a nice, big coat in winter, looked good in waisted or flared dresses with just one or two accessories, and in general, preferred to save her money for good quality items rather than splurge on the latest fashion. I am trying to be guided by my younger self to sort out my clothes… and other things as well, including my outlook on life and people.

chataround

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2016, 07:17:11 AM »

I couldn't agree more and in no way would I trivialize the emotional stuff that comes with retirement and settling into a new way of life, including what you put on your back!

Yep, I am a cool tone, a "winter" so black (rather than brown), red (rather than orange), white (rather than beige) all work well for me.

I don't have anyone who I look at and admire (in real life) from a fashion standpoint. At 56 I think my mission around clothing has been to look colorful without looking like a clown, because I love color, and also looking my age (55) yet having a sort of youthful flair about me.   
  • Complexion: very fair, some slight rosacea
  • Eyes: hazel
  • Hair: slightly wavy, shoulder length, soft black
"Taking joy in living is a woman's best cosmetic."
                   - Rosalind Russell

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2016, 12:47:40 PM »
I have never had my colours done, but I am pretty sure I am a winter, too. If I had to pick up a couple of fashion role models  I would say...Ines de Fressange and Isabella Rossellini.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2016, 12:07:40 PM »
I've never had my colors done and I've no clue what season I am. I know I'm not an autumn since I can't wear yellows or golds. My complexion is cool so I'm guessing I'm a winter or a summer but I've never been able to figure it out for myself using online sites. My best color: medium blue.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2016, 01:25:19 PM »
Styyna, from the photos I have seen I would not say you are a winter...maybe you are a summer? have a look at this:
http://www.kettlewellcolours.co.uk/season/summer
Do you see yourself in this palette?

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2016, 05:21:33 AM »
That palette does, indeed, hit the right colors for me. I looked at all the palettes for the seasons and have to agree that summer colors feel right for me. Thanks for sharing that page and site! They make more sense than any site dedicated to figuring out one's season. I bookmarked it for future reference.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2016, 12:29:50 PM »
I have never bought anything from them, but I do like the website!

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2016, 03:08:02 PM »
That's a great site!:) Yes I'd say that Stynna from her descriptions in other messages with her hair color and cooler softer coloring is a Summer. I looked up the Autumn colors and they hit the mark, along with a couple of the Winter colors.:)