News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: A wardrobe for for a new life style  (Read 4157 times)

chataround

• Gold Member
Re: A wardrobe for for a new life style
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2016, 05:14:22 PM »
Maybe it's not true for everyone, but in my opinion if you wear colors that suit your complexion, you really can't go wrong.

I have gotten into a terrible rut with my clothing. I wear scrubs all week (dental office) and then stuff myself into yoga pants whenever I'm not at work.
I think I have to get myself some flattering pairs of jeans.

I live in New York and dressing in black is practically a New York uniform. I have found myself gravitating to dark blue instead and am finding it to be a great neutral.
I was also a huge fan of red, and now gravitating to a softer pink. Toning it down a bit, I guess?

• Complexion: very fair, some slight rosacea
  • Eyes: hazel
  • Hair: slightly wavy, shoulder length, soft black
"Taking joy in living is a woman's best cosmetic."
                   - Rosalind Russell

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2016, 03:22:40 AM »
What type of colouring have you got, Chataround? If you like red, black and navy blue I am guessing that you may be more on the cool side, but I might be wrong. Black, red and navy blue are ‘safe’ colours for me, except that I don’t often go for red these days. I also used to wear a sort of uniform at work; in the UK most schools expect teachers to follow a dress code. I was once called to the Headmaster’s office because I was in a hurry one morning and wore denim trousers (not jeans with contrasting stitching, just plain, smart denim trousers). When I retired I really pared down my wardrobe, gave lots of stuff to charity, it was a kind of purification (!!); but after, I felt really confused: what am I going to wear now? This may sound really trivial, but retiring is a major life change, you re-assess yourself as a member of society and you have to find a new role.  (Self) image is important: you wake up on morning and you are not Ms Something or other, teacher, co-worker, head of department… you are another person and the day stretches ahead of you and you have all this time to yourself. You probably dreamt about this moment for years and now that it is a reality, what are you going to do with your time? Who are you going to be? And again, after dressing ‘for the job’ for so many years, you might think it is very liberating to wear casual clothes all the time, but you can also let yourself go. Some women explore their creative side and go for a very flamboyant look (‘when I get old I shall wear purple’… ); I admire their style but it is not me. So I have decided to look at the (young) woman I once was. I lost her somehow along the way…but I remember that she used to like simple lines, was not too scared of colour but was not too keen on prints, liked jeans and checked shirts for casual wear and a nice, big coat in winter, looked good in waisted or flared dresses with just one or two accessories, and in general, preferred to save her money for good quality items rather than splurge on the latest fashion. I am trying to be guided by my younger self to sort out my clothes… and other things as well, including my outlook on life and people.

chataround

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2016, 07:17:11 AM »

I couldn't agree more and in no way would I trivialize the emotional stuff that comes with retirement and settling into a new way of life, including what you put on your back!

Yep, I am a cool tone, a "winter" so black (rather than brown), red (rather than orange), white (rather than beige) all work well for me.

I don't have anyone who I look at and admire (in real life) from a fashion standpoint. At 56 I think my mission around clothing has been to look colorful without looking like a clown, because I love color, and also looking my age (55) yet having a sort of youthful flair about me.   
  • Complexion: very fair, some slight rosacea
  • Eyes: hazel
  • Hair: slightly wavy, shoulder length, soft black
"Taking joy in living is a woman's best cosmetic."
                   - Rosalind Russell

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2016, 12:47:40 PM »
I have never had my colours done, but I am pretty sure I am a winter, too. If I had to pick up a couple of fashion role models  I would say...Ines de Fressange and Isabella Rossellini.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2016, 12:07:40 PM »
I've never had my colors done and I've no clue what season I am. I know I'm not an autumn since I can't wear yellows or golds. My complexion is cool so I'm guessing I'm a winter or a summer but I've never been able to figure it out for myself using online sites. My best color: medium blue.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2016, 01:25:19 PM »
Styyna, from the photos I have seen I would not say you are a winter...maybe you are a summer? have a look at this:
http://www.kettlewellcolours.co.uk/season/summer
Do you see yourself in this palette?

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2016, 05:21:33 AM »
That palette does, indeed, hit the right colors for me. I looked at all the palettes for the seasons and have to agree that summer colors feel right for me. Thanks for sharing that page and site! They make more sense than any site dedicated to figuring out one's season. I bookmarked it for future reference.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2016, 12:29:50 PM »
I have never bought anything from them, but I do like the website!

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2016, 03:08:02 PM »
That's a great site!:) Yes I'd say that Stynna from her descriptions in other messages with her hair color and cooler softer coloring is a Summer. I looked up the Autumn colors and they hit the mark, along with a couple of the Winter colors.:)