News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: What do you plant for Fall?  (Read 1146 times)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
What do you plant for Fall?
« on: September 05, 2015, 10:24:28 PM »
Ever since I started growing orchids, I've also branched out to other types of plants. I was curious if the gardeners here plant anything special during fall? And, it's been on the internet forever but I just recently saw the vertical growing pot.  My DH purchased me a vertical planter that holds 12 plants. 

I need ideas, ladies! Don't forget, CA is going thru drought.  The good thing about my orchids is that I just dunk them in water for drink and can use that water for the flowers I have in the front yard and the six other plants I have in the backyard that we are keeping alive.
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
Re: What do you plant for Fall?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 07:16:58 AM »
Since we are on opposite coasts, & live in very different plant zones, I'm of no help.  :rollseyes:

Fall is when we plant daffodil bulbs.  Really, any kind of spring flowering bulbs.  Daffodils are the only bulb that the deer will not eat at my house though.
Also fall or spring (for me), is a good time to plant outside most perennials, landscape shrubs, trees, etc.  Other than that, soon will be the time to mulch & get ready for winter.   :(
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 12:11:44 PM »
The best advice I've read about choosing plants is to select plants that are native to your particular area. They require the least amount of care and are hardiest in your given circumstances. The drought probably makes that a little more difficult. I'd look for native plants that are drought-resistant but won't die under normal conditions. In the past when I've purchased plants I've gone to reputable nurseries and sought their advice to good effect.

Sorry I'm not of more help but a green thumb I do not have!

• Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 08:11:23 PM »
Thank you, ladies!  I've been to the nurseries and really loving succulents. I have a few but really want more.  DH bought me a vertical planter and planted kale and Gazania. So far so good. We've hit over 100 degrees and I am surprised the vertical planter is doing well. I thought by now, the plants would be dead but they still look and I planted them Saturday, I think.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 12:26:35 PM »
I'd love to see a picture of the vertical planter. Just saying...:)
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 10:27:06 PM »
Yes, I will post pictures in the next couple of days!  So far so good. The Gazanias are looking lovely and the kale is hanging in there. I also decided on succulents.  I have some decided to jump both feet and use succulents for the outside and orchids inside the house. I will be very busy in a couple of weeks because I had ordered cuttings and they will be shipped next week. I have busy buying containers and pots.

Have any ideas for containers?  The wackier the better. I was going to use my son's old pair of rain booths but it seems he gave them away. :-)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 07:42:44 PM »
Here are two pictures of the Polanter with the Gazanias and Kale mounted on a beam on our back deck.  Also, shameless, I know, I made a video. In case you want to see this thing in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyJZ33_HvWc

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 08:42:39 PM »
Thanks for sharing, SusieQ. I watched the video and it really showed how the polanter works and how much work went into planting and mounting it. I enjoy your video narrations a lot! :)

You say in the video that you aren't sure you'd do another one. I think it looks nice now and once the plants fill out I bet it will be quite attractive.

Did you figure out how often to water it? Does all the soil dry at about the same rate from top to bottom? Inquiring minds and all that. :D

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 09:05:49 PM »
Thanks for sharing, SusieQ. I watched the video and it really showed how the polanter works and how much work went into planting and mounting it. I enjoy your video narrations a lot! :)

You say in the video that you aren't sure you'd do another one. I think it looks nice now and once the plants fill out I bet it will be quite attractive.

Did you figure out how often to water it? Does all the soil dry at about the same rate from top to bottom? Inquiring minds and all that. :D
I had fun doing the video.  All I got from watering is, "it depends where you are and the weather".  :lol:  Since the planting holes are big enough, I am able to feel the the soil. So far, I water every three days and they seem happy. The Gazanias are pretty when it's warm and they open up fully. They are orange and black  and they remind me of fall, already.  There are a few of these vertical planters -  I want the one where the bottom of each hole protrude a bit. I will probably run into the same problem where the soil will try to escape from the upper part of the planting hole.  :lol:  I do know that they come in different colors and may try a different type of vertical planter to see how it compares to this one.