News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Plant Club at Work  (Read 800 times)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
Plant Club at Work
« on: September 16, 2015, 09:33:54 PM »
My boss is a succulent grower and she has a good eye for design.  We were chatting last week about orchids/plants and how the meetings are usually too late or too early for us.  And, I said, we should have a plant club here in the office. And, I was just kidding but she took me up on it.  So, this Friday is the first official Plant Club meeting.  There are only six members so far and some of us are bringing cuttings for our first meeting. I have a giant jade plant and took some cuttings to bring on Friday. We are having our first meeting in one of our conference room and I'll place a sign on the door about the meeting and an open invitation.

I was just wondering if any of you belong to some kind of crafty, plant type of club?   :lol:
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Re: Plant Club at Work
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 12:06:26 PM »
What a great idea! How did your first meeting go?

I live in a village of about 800 people so there's not much in the way of clubs here that are open to the public. I'd love to find a knitting club within reasonable driving distance in the winter but haven't heard of one yet. Unfortunately I don't know any other knitters so I can't even get together informally with a cup of tea and knitting from time to time.

So I'm willing to live vicariously and would enjoy hearing about your plant club!
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 11:46:07 PM »
I got sick on Monday and after coming back to work, I was inundated with so much work that I am still trying to catch up. 

But, the first meeting was really fun. Everyone was excited and had a chance to talk about things they are planting and we also shared cuttings and gave instructions, too.  Our next meeting is Friday and I guess I kinda been made the president...weird.   Anyway, I will be sending an email to everyone tomorrow about maybe bringing flower bulbs to trade or share. And, find out if there were other things they want to discuss...maybe like how to or demo meetings. 

Maybe you can post something in the library about meeting up with other knitters are the local coffee house or something like that.  Maybe include an email address if interested.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 07:55:46 PM »
Count on you, SusieQ, to have constructive advice! Thanks.

As it turns out, the local school district's community education program is offering a beginning knitting class so I'm going to see if I can contact the instructor. If there's a knitting group around, I'm sure she will know.

It sounds like your first meeting was a big success. Yay! Have you set a schedule for future meetings?
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 09:47:52 PM »
Count on you, SusieQ, to have constructive advice! Thanks.

As it turns out, the local school district's community education program is offering a beginning knitting class so I'm going to see if I can contact the instructor. If there's a knitting group around, I'm sure she will know.

It sounds like your first meeting was a big success. Yay! Have you set a schedule for future meetings?
It's so much fun when you are actually there and talking to people that share your interest.  I can't wait to hear what you find out about your knitting group. You can always knit baby blankets to give to hospitals or something like that. :-) 

Our next meeting is this Friday and I'm taking a day off.  My son's school is off this Friday and there is home and garden show in town so we are heading there this Friday and I have a haircut on Saturday and I hope to get one or two more orchids before winter.  :-)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 10:53:22 AM »
Well, it's Friday so I hope you're enjoying your day off, SusieQ. I expect that, short of a regular vacation, it doesn't get much better than a day off with a home and garden show to attend. :) It's nice that your son has the day off and can accompany you.

As far as one or two more orchids before winter - POIDH (pictures or it didn't happen)! :)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 10:07:58 PM »
It did happen and I will posting new pictures in a day or two.  By the time I get home, the light is too poor.  But, I will keep trying.  :D  I was able to buy four miniature orchids.  :yahoo:

And, I ordered some tillandsias and will include pictures of those, too.  :wink:

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 01:52:29 PM »
I saw the tillsandia picture with your succulents...I'm too lazy to Google that plant. Does it bloom?

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 12:13:14 PM »
I saw the tillsandia picture with your succulents...I'm too lazy to Google that plant. Does it bloom?
Yes, they all bloom. From reading some have wonderful fragrances.  The sad thing is that once a tillandsia bloom, they start to die but it can take years for the bloomer to fade away. While it is fading away, it will create offspring or pups.  They are a fascinating group of plants.  :lol: