News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: First Orchid to Bloom Under My Care!  (Read 782 times)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
First Orchid to Bloom Under My Care!
« on: October 20, 2015, 09:10:43 PM »
This is a hybrid catasetum and when I purchased her, I didn't think that she was a blooming size. After two months under my care, a flower spike appeared and I thought it was just another root.

Well, here she is and I also have video if you want to see her with her nine flowers!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA07nvAVyME  I'm so happy. In the video I have pictures of the two orchids that were crossed to come up with her.
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Re: First Orchid to Bloom Under My Care!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 07:02:32 AM »
She's beautiful and no wonder, she comes from gorgeous "parents." You've come a long way with your orchids!

I was interested to see that you weren't sure about whether the growth on the other one was a blossom beginning or not. Orchids certainly entail a lot of research and knowledge. You clearly have the desire to learn all that is necessary to successfully care for your lovelies!
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 11:13:37 AM »
It is beautiful and it seems to have a personality! It can almost 'talk' to you (no, I haven't been drinking, only drink I had this afternoon was a cup of tea!). Well done, I am in awe of your horticultural skills!

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 08:14:03 AM »
Beautiful! Nine blooms!! Is that a lot? You've done a terrific job, SusieQ, & I enjoyed your video as well.  :D
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 08:05:49 PM »
Beautiful! Nine blooms!! Is that a lot? You've done a terrific job, SusieQ, & I enjoyed your video as well.  :D
Not really a lot. Some have 12-15 blooms in one spike. Thank you for watching the video. I had fun doing it.  I have a couple more in buds and ready to bloom. They are oncidium orchids and the flower scent is chocolate and vanilla. I can't wait to see them. I originally purchased them when they were in bloom.  Once the all the flowers died, I repotted  them and now they are blooming a 2nd time. :clickingyourheels:

gilberte

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 12:10:26 PM »
This is gorgeous, and the video is really fun.  What a great and artistic activity.  I love gardening but know orchids take special attention.  Good work, Susie!

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 02:48:44 PM »
Thank you, Gilberte. She was a beauty and she lasted three weeks. I have other blooming now and looking forward to them.  :)