News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: nail colours for hands of a certain age  (Read 4900 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
nail colours for hands of a certain age
« on: November 11, 2015, 02:53:41 PM »
I have not worn nail polish other than natural for quite a while; I have an event on Sunday and I would like to have a manicure, but I don't like strong colours or 'greige', because I don't find them flattering. Any suggestions? I fancy something simple and chic. I am wearing black trousers and a dotted blouse with a bow, black jacket and black shoes, silver vintage earrings, no bracelets.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
Re: nail colours for hands of a certain age
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 02:47:14 PM »
I still love wearing colored nail polishes but with orchids,it's been a challenge so I've had naked nails for over a month now. There is nothing that says more polished than a french mani. Just my thoughts.  :wink:  I hope you had a wonderful time, milla.
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 01:26:45 PM »
I bought a nude pink from Kiko
http://www.kikocosmetics.com/en-gb/make-up/hands/nail-polishes/Power-Pro-Nail-Lacquer/p-KMPOWER
It is quite good value as it is 7-free.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 08:18:46 AM »
Though most of them are too warm for me, I love nude pinks and there are some lovely colors there. Which one did you get?
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

Swest

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 11:01:00 AM »
I like almost all colors and prefer something that sort of pops on me but if you are looking for something softer maybe a natural pink or something that does not show chips. Zoya Zanna or sligtly deeper shade Wet n Wild Megalast uh its a mauve shade (the long wearing five day one )Its called UNDERCOVER. Looked it up  :)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 10:19:01 AM by Swest »
  • Complexion: Fair-med NC20, combo
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Dark Reddish Brown

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 03:39:01 PM »
Apparently, the Queen’s favourite nail polish is Essie’s Ballet Slippers. I find it too... chalky. I prefer something with a bit more of a shimmer, but I have given up on bright reds and berry colours. Zoya  Zanna is a very nice shade, I could wear something like that.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 06:26:52 AM »
I recently went to a spa for a manicure and when it came time to choose my color I dithered so long that the technician finally stepped in and picked out a color for my approval. Just sitting there, among all the other colors, it didn't jump as me but once she applied it, it was perfect. It was OPI Japanese Rose Garden and it's so perfect with my coloring that I ordered a bottle for myself when I got home. I need pinks with a hint of purple/lavender to them. Anything that is even slightly warm doesn't work. Fortunately, that pink color goes well with most of my wardrobe, too.
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 09:34:33 AM »
That is a is very natural, pretty shade for spring. I have been thinking of having a professional manicure, as I am going to a wedding in May. The thing is, last time I had a manicure my nails really suffered. They were very dry afterwards and I did not even have gel polish. I have been very careful with my nails and I massage them with olive oil regularly. But a nice manicure makes such a difference when you  dress up...

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 02:39:34 PM »
I'm surprised that your last manicure was so drying. How disappointing! Hopefully, with your regular olive oil treatments your nails can withstand a manicure for the wedding. I agree, a good manicure adds a nice finishing touch.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 03:35:03 PM »
Olive oil is the best. I have tried some creams  but I prefer olive oil for nails and lemon rind for cuticles.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 12:03:17 PM »
Curious - is lemon rind not drying? How do you use it and what does it do for your cuticles? I've never heard of using it before in this application!

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 01:32:06 PM »
You can use lemon peel to push back your cuticles. I like having hot water with lemon in the morning. After squeezing the juice I always keep the lemon to do my nails!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 05:22:05 AM »
I learned something completely new today!

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 12:31:02 PM »
It is a very old trick, I forgot where I read about it :D

angela001

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2016, 05:22:04 AM »
I think that for women our age red nail polish looks the best.. Of course, nudes are also the second best choice, but I always pick some hot red shade..