News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: nail colours for hands of a certain age  (Read 8826 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
nail colours for hands of a certain age
« on: November 11, 2015, 02:53:41 PM »
I have not worn nail polish other than natural for quite a while; I have an event on Sunday and I would like to have a manicure, but I don't like strong colours or 'greige', because I don't find them flattering. Any suggestions? I fancy something simple and chic. I am wearing black trousers and a dotted blouse with a bow, black jacket and black shoes, silver vintage earrings, no bracelets.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
Re: nail colours for hands of a certain age
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 02:47:14 PM »
I still love wearing colored nail polishes but with orchids,it's been a challenge so I've had naked nails for over a month now. There is nothing that says more polished than a french mani. Just my thoughts.  :wink:  I hope you had a wonderful time, milla.
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 01:26:45 PM »
I bought a nude pink from Kiko
http://www.kikocosmetics.com/en-gb/make-up/hands/nail-polishes/Power-Pro-Nail-Lacquer/p-KMPOWER
It is quite good value as it is 7-free.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 08:18:46 AM »
Though most of them are too warm for me, I love nude pinks and there are some lovely colors there. Which one did you get?
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

Swest

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 11:01:00 AM »
I like almost all colors and prefer something that sort of pops on me but if you are looking for something softer maybe a natural pink or something that does not show chips. Zoya Zanna or sligtly deeper shade Wet n Wild Megalast uh its a mauve shade (the long wearing five day one )Its called UNDERCOVER. Looked it up  :)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 10:19:01 AM by Swest »
  • Complexion: Fair-med NC20, combo
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Dark Reddish Brown

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 03:39:01 PM »
Apparently, the Queen’s favourite nail polish is Essie’s Ballet Slippers. I find it too... chalky. I prefer something with a bit more of a shimmer, but I have given up on bright reds and berry colours. Zoya  Zanna is a very nice shade, I could wear something like that.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 06:26:52 AM »
I recently went to a spa for a manicure and when it came time to choose my color I dithered so long that the technician finally stepped in and picked out a color for my approval. Just sitting there, among all the other colors, it didn't jump as me but once she applied it, it was perfect. It was OPI Japanese Rose Garden and it's so perfect with my coloring that I ordered a bottle for myself when I got home. I need pinks with a hint of purple/lavender to them. Anything that is even slightly warm doesn't work. Fortunately, that pink color goes well with most of my wardrobe, too.
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 09:34:33 AM »
That is a is very natural, pretty shade for spring. I have been thinking of having a professional manicure, as I am going to a wedding in May. The thing is, last time I had a manicure my nails really suffered. They were very dry afterwards and I did not even have gel polish. I have been very careful with my nails and I massage them with olive oil regularly. But a nice manicure makes such a difference when you  dress up...

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 02:39:34 PM »
I'm surprised that your last manicure was so drying. How disappointing! Hopefully, with your regular olive oil treatments your nails can withstand a manicure for the wedding. I agree, a good manicure adds a nice finishing touch.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 03:35:03 PM »
Olive oil is the best. I have tried some creams  but I prefer olive oil for nails and lemon rind for cuticles.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 12:03:17 PM »
Curious - is lemon rind not drying? How do you use it and what does it do for your cuticles? I've never heard of using it before in this application!

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 01:32:06 PM »
You can use lemon peel to push back your cuticles. I like having hot water with lemon in the morning. After squeezing the juice I always keep the lemon to do my nails!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 05:22:05 AM »
I learned something completely new today!

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 12:31:02 PM »
It is a very old trick, I forgot where I read about it :D

angela001

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2016, 05:22:04 AM »
I think that for women our age red nail polish looks the best.. Of course, nudes are also the second best choice, but I always pick some hot red shade..

Age Gracefully

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2016, 01:56:42 AM »
I always use nude or light pink nail colours but recently I tried a combination of peach colours and I think it looks great.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2016, 10:50:18 AM »
Very nice! thank you for posting the photo.

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2016, 06:36:32 PM »
I have hardly any nails right now to speak of (Too busy biting them), but I'm attending a wedding this Saturday, so I went to a local nail salon & asked if they could please do something to clean up my nails.  I chose this color, but I just grabbed it off the shelf & didn't take note of the name.....

• Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2016, 05:11:56 AM »
It looks like Essie 'Ballet Slippers', which is the Queen's favourite (allegedly).It is a very pretty colour and it goes with everything. My nails are just as short as yours because I have been gardening! I am going out to lunch tomorrow, so I will treat them to a massage with warm olive oil. Have a great time at the wedding!x

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2016, 09:24:19 AM »
Thank you, milla!  I think you are correct because I'm pretty sure it was an Essie polish.  I'm going to try to remember that name.
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2016, 01:53:43 PM »
There you go! I am sure that I have read somewhere that the Queen likes that colour. Ah. here it is:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/beauty/people/revealed-the-queens-favourite-beauty-products/
What are you going to wear to the wedding? I have had my hair cut and styled today, if you look in FOTD you can give me your opinion!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2016, 08:10:40 AM »
ILuvLucy, I love your nails! Very pretty! How was the wedding?

I've been experimenting with color lately, going with a dark blue for a couple of weeks. Right now I'm wearing a lavender-leaning pink and I think I'll go with some kind of blue-leaning red for the holidays soon. After the holidays I'll be back to pinks as I will be trimming my left hand shorter than my right hand so I can pick up guitar again. I hope that keeping my nails in good shape and properly manicured will make the difference less obvious.

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2016, 07:42:06 PM »
Thanks for the complements on my stubby nails haha! I'm happy you all think the color was a good choice.
The wedding was really nice.  My husband actually danced one dance with me!! Also nice - the Inn was only about 20 minutes away. 
Here is a quick photo of my outfit.  Everything was already in my closet.  :)
(And, btw Milla....I LOVE your hair!)

« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 05:18:19 PM by ILuvLucy »

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2016, 12:02:23 PM »
Lovely dress and lovely figure! Sounds like you had a great time. The pearl necklace is beautiful.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2016, 12:41:16 PM »
I second everything Milla said! You look perfect! I like your shoes, too. So glad you had a good time - you were overdue!

SusanG

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2016, 06:40:09 AM »
ILLucy, you're a stunner!
  • Complexion: Fair: MAC NC15, Ivory in Dior
  • Hair: Natural light brown with a little silver, pixie cut

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2016, 07:50:54 AM »
Thank you, my friends.  You are too nice!
I do really like the pearls.  The little tiny diamond/pearl is removeable,but I always keep it on.  (Not that I ever have many opportunities to wear pearls).  They are one of the very first pieces of nice jewelry my husband ever gave me. Probably close to 30 years ago.   

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2016, 05:29:37 PM »
I, too, love your pearls. They are so appropriate and pretty with your outfit. I just love pearls.

I have pearls that I've never worn because I don't know how and when to wear them. I'd like to learn so that I could pull them out. My father gave them to me many years ago and they've just sat in their case for decades. Part of my reluctance to wear them is that they are a triple strand and I think that's harder to pull off than a single strand.

I also have a diamond heart pendant on a chain that my father gave to my mother for their last anniversary together. Once again, I have no idea how or when to wear it. DH and I only go to places where he can wear his jeans and flannel shirts (an amazing number of places these days) so we often look mismatched since I dress as I feel. I don't wear dresses or skirts but I have a few Eileen Fisher outfits that I wear when I feel like it. Maybe I could figure out how to accessorize one or more of those with diamonds or pearls?

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2016, 08:29:46 AM »
I did feel pretty in my dress & pearls, and I don't mind the effort of trying to "dress up", but I really like to be comfortable now! 
Styyna, I looked up Eileen Fisher, & it seems fairly casual? Or maybe I was viewing the wrong items - there's a lot!
Anyway, If I were you, I would go ahead & try the pearls or diamond pendant.  See how it feels/looks.  I've even seen pearls with a casual flannel shirt & jeans. 
I'm still trying to remember to use the pretty things I have in my life!  :)    I've been burning my favorite candle almost every evening.
I apologize for taking this thread way off topic, by the way.  Seems to be just like my conversations with friends in real life though.  :wink:

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2016, 12:47:56 PM »
IIlucy, you are so right when you say that we need to use the pretty things we have got. Our loved ones gave us these items because they wanted to see us wearing them. In the case of long departed parents, I think they would be happy to know that we appreciate their gifts and it is a way of honouring their memory. So, Styyna, if you have some pearls that you love just wear them! Perhaps not to the gym, but when you go to town or when you have people round for dinner. A single strand may be a bit easier to use on a daily basis, but you could wear the triple strand to brighten up a turtleneck sweater, or with a V neck or under a blouse.  My husband also favours casual clothing ; e when we go out I tend to dress up more than him, unless it is a very formal occasion when he must wear a suit; and he hates shopping for clothes, so I buy must of his clothes.
I think I have gone off topic too, but that is the way a good conversation goes!
I am going to start a post on the subject of gentlemen’s clothes …

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2016, 10:56:59 AM »
Some of our best conversations are off topic. I suppose it is best to start new topics when they veer that way so that someone searching or browsing has some clue as to what they will find based on the subject but I wish we didn't have to do so.

I'm going to take you wonderful beauties' advice and start wearing my jewelry. You are right - the giver intended that I should wear it.

Now I have to jump to the new topic about men's clothing. It has promise already, I can tell! :)