News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Hot and Flashy doing sponsored videos now -- I unsubscribed  (Read 3551 times)

gilberte

• Silver Member
Hot and Flashy doing sponsored videos now -- I unsubscribed
« on: November 18, 2015, 10:38:08 PM »
 I've really liked Angie & the work she puts in to her videos, though her frequent affiliation with many products which she uses has made me a little uneasy. 

Her last video is sponsored by a meal-delivery service.  She states this in the last line of her description box, and gives a commenter a hard time when said viewer says the sponsorship isn't clearly stated and is hidden (I agree).  More than this i'm sad because I like Angie, I like her style, but now she's lost my respect and my subscription.  Why, on a makeup blog, is she thinking we all want her kitchen management tips?  Were people writing in to her saying, 'Please tell me how to cook for my family'?  This kind of groupieism, waiting wide-eyed for the next recommendation of youtube personalities, is pretty widespread now, so most of Angie's commenters just praised her to the skies for the video and slammed the 2 commenters who said we didn't like the sponsored video.

I have to get off youtube -- I'm so sick of being sold to.  I watched more Caroline Hirons, who others on this forum had recommended.  I like her personality, sense of humor, and the glimpses of her day-to-day life.  But she just loves expensive products which feature prominently on her blog.  Of course they send her free products, sponsor give-aways, and she just copies their advertising into her write-ups.  Recently she raved about a simple oil blend which is something like $200 for a teeny bottle, and .... i could go on and on but you can probably tell how much this sickens me.  Why can't she say, this is a bunch of inexpensive products put together in expensive packaging with expensive ads and who is silly enough to buy it?   

Angie and Caroline plus hundreds of other beauty vloggers and bloggers always whine (or their supporters whine) that they are doing us such a big service by reviewing, testing and introducing us to these products.  GOMI (Get Off My Internets, a site which allows anyone to criticize or question anything on the 'net) always responds to these whines and to these people with  'why don't you get a real job, like the rest of us?' and I so much would love to say this to them.  Why do they feel they're singled out to be our product-buying guides?  I didn't ask them to make videos.  While I enjoy some of their videos, on the whole I find them superficial and irritatingly dishonest. 

However, I do end up respecting the very few bloggers/vloggers who take no affiliation or sponsorship money.

I don't feel that makeup or 'beauty products' make me feel pampered, or are a way to feel good about myself, a frequent argument by defenders of beauty bloggers.  Having a new bottle or jar of stuff doesn't make me feel special, more beautiful, or pampered.  When I've been influenced to buy something I don't need, I feel scammed, not pampered.  I also feel really insulted when defenders of beauty bloggers criticize me for not wanting to rush out to buy the thing they're shrieking about (I LOVE IT!).  When I was a teenager we had lots of discussions and examples in our (public, state-sponsored) school about how advertising works on us, and the costs of mass consumerism, including for non-essential goods.   I feel so sad for our planet, and more for younger people today, who can't see these forces and troop off like sheep to shop.

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Hot and Flashy doing sponsored videos now -- I unsubscribed
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 11:02:10 AM »
Once again I agree with you 100%. For this reason, I don't really tap into those YouTube videos very often at all. For products, if I'm even considering buying something, I'll read reviews instead, or maybe a YouTube review but that's it. Since I use a narrow range of products that I'm happy with, there's no need for me to go all over the place looking for this and that. Saves a lot of time and energy. But once one knows what works for one, one doesn't have to do that anyway. As far as feeling good about myself, doing something like dancing as well as other creative work and reconnecting in a powerful way DOES.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 09:29:29 AM »
I agree with both of you completely. Don’t get me wrong, I like to look after myself and of course, I like to look my best, but I don’t buy into the hype. There is no such thing as a ‘miracle ‘ product, there are tried and tested formulations that do a fairly good job, but  diet , exercise and a positive outlook are indispensable. Also, with everything that is going on in the world at the moment I just cannot face another earnest  blogger going on about the latest, life-changing serum!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 09:49:50 AM by milla »

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 12:25:50 PM »
@milla: Right on!:) I often tell the much younger people over on MUA who are all concerned about "anti-aging" that the two best things they can do is to first step away from the digitally-mastered impossible-to-achieve images of perfection, and to get onto a very healthy lifestyle NOW, which will pay off big-time in the years to come. The rest is icing on the cake, so to speak. And yes, there really are only a few things that have a decent track record for skin care(retinoids, Vitamin C if tolerated, and some acidic products) - the rest is marketing and hype. On the makeup front, it's truly staggering sometimes to hear about the stashes and hauls that some of these people get into. As in, how in the world can all 20 shades of a lipstick line possibly be suitable for one? Out of any given line-up, there are only a very few shades that will actually work with one's coloring anyway. Then there are the people with 60 blushes, etc. As most of you know, I go in the opposite direction - more is NOT better. Much fewer, stuff that actually works for me, and the healthy lifestyle, IS better.:)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 10:24:17 PM »
I'm in agreement with all of you. I will say that in years gone by I was much more attracted to new products - both makeup and skin care. But now I want simple, reliable products that offer a reasonable return on my investment of time and money. With more realistic expectations I've found that my investment of both is greatly reduced and I'm happier.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 02:26:10 PM »
That's really sad about Angie. I did like her, too. I haven't been watching since I've busy with my orchids. I've actually unsubscribed to a lot of the makeup "guru"   :) as they call themselves. It's been orchids youtubers lately.

I still care about my skin and I put on makeup during work days. But, on weekends, no makeup.  I think at this point, I know what my skin likes and sticking to it.  :wink:
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves