News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Force Bloom  (Read 1727 times)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
Force Bloom
« on: November 23, 2015, 02:54:14 PM »
Has anyone tried this?  During one of our plant club meeting, we discussed about forcing a bulb to bloom. This is a paperwhite bulb and it's in spike. I'm hoping that it blooms on thanksgiving so that I can bring it to my MIL's thanksgiving dinner.
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Re: Force Bloom
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 09:40:09 AM »
Oh, I hope it blooms in time for Thursday! How pretty will that be!

I've never forced a plant. I've purchased bulbs in the winter that were intended to sprout and bloom mid-winter and I assume they have been forced somehow but I confess that I don't know the first thing about forcing bulbs and plants. Do tell generally how it's done!
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 11:54:27 AM »
It's fairly easy and fun.  My understanding is that you can only force paperwhite and hyacinth. So, you fool the bulb into thinking that it's the cold winter by placing them in the fridge for about a week. Then, you find a container- clear is best - where you want the bulb to grow. The container I selected can only fit one bulb but you can select a big one and  have as many bulbs as you. You can place them as close together as you want to make some kind of an arrangement.  You first fill the container with pebbles, colored small rocks, anything small enough where the bulb can sit on - just halfway. Mark the outside of the container where the level of the first layer of pebbles if your not using a clear container. Place the bulb with the root down and fill it with more rocks to stabilize the bulb. Fill the container with water only up to where the root of the bulb. Now that you have taken the bulb out of the fridge, it will think it's spring. Place it near a window for light and check the water level once a week and you should see growth in a week time. My bulb has just started showing me flowers and I planted it four weeks ago.

There's a lot of info on the net and some say once the blooms are dead, you can put the bulb and plant it in the ground and it will bloom again in the springtime and some say throw it away since it will no longer bloom. But, I don't know yet and will be experimenting once the blooms are dead.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 04:54:53 PM »
It does sound easy and fun. Thanks for such a thorough description. I want to try this. Now I just have to find bulbs...
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 11:56:47 AM »
I just think that it will be lovely to see some blooms on the table. I may bring the paperwhite since it's blooming to the dinner. I may find a pumpkin big enough to place the container inside and decorate it with fall leaves.  I'm prepping the other bulbs for Christmas. I think the blooms among the poinsettias will be a pretty arrangement for Christmas. It will be something different, anyway.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 08:41:10 AM »
I love your ideas for using forced bulbs to decorate over the holidays. If I can find some bulbs I might have to imitate you for Christmas!

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 01:15:11 PM »
I have heard of this method but I have never tried it. However, I have bought 'forced' bulbs and they bloomed in time for Christmas. I love hyacinths but I cannot bear the strong scent indoors. I planted a few in containers in my front garden in September. They should bloom in spring (if the squirrels have not been at them!)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 09:05:49 PM »
I've never had any hyacinths so this should be interesting.  :)  The paperwhite bulb is in full bloom and looks really pretty. It smells like Elmer's Glue.  :lol:

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 11:44:19 AM »
I have never smelt Elmer's Glue, so I cannot comment. I love the scent of hyacinths and lilies in an outdoor garden,  but I find it too oppressive indoors. It is a shame because they are beautiful, elegant flowers.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2015, 12:28:53 PM »
I have never smelt Elmer's Glue, so I cannot comment. I love the scent of hyacinths and lilies in an outdoor garden,  but I find it too oppressive indoors. It is a shame because they are beautiful, elegant flowers.
:) The glue is not too bad since it brings me back to some childhood memories.  I have six hyacinths bulbs and they are finally coming up.  I see the roots have formed and see some green tips. This would be the first time that I get to smell hyacinths.  I don't know why I never had them in my garden before.  :grin:

SusanG

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2015, 01:46:39 PM »
I've grown hyacinths outdoors, in the front garden near the door, and their fragrance would waft into the house when the door was opened. Nice, but waaaaay too strong for me indoors!
  • Complexion: Fair: MAC NC15, Ivory in Dior
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Natural light brown with a little silver, pixie cut

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2015, 08:32:33 AM »
I agree.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 10:44:24 PM »
Eeck!  I have four bulbs of hyacinths that I am forcing to bloom. I see the green tips and lots of roots.  I will report back.  :cold:

gilberte

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2015, 12:54:31 PM »
I love hyacinths and their perfume!  Thanks for reminding me; those in my garden need digging up or replacing. 

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2015, 03:32:32 PM »
It's been nearly two weeks so I have to ask: How are the hyacinths coming along? And what's blooming amid all your other flowers these days?

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2015, 06:32:45 PM »
It's been nearly two weeks so I have to ask: How are the hyacinths coming along? And what's blooming amid all your other flowers these days?
The hyacinths are slow going but their root systems are amazing!  I see green tips on the bulbs.  I see now why the paperwhite bulbs are a favorite for force bloom. I planted the paperwhite and hyacinths in the same vase and the paperwhite are already in bloom. :)  My African violets are all in buds again and should be blooming in the next couple of weeks. I have some orchids in bloom and some are spiking and waiting to see what they look like since this would be their first bloom with me. I am really excited about that but so far with winter, things are a bit slow.

I'm increasing my succulents and was trying to buy some cacti but I was pricked twice while looking and just gave it up. I'm so clumsy that I am afraid that I would really hurt myself.  The succulent genre is big enough to keep me well satisfied.  :lol:

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2015, 04:27:07 AM »
I can see the tips of the bulbs in my garden too! It looks like the squirrels have not got at them. We are having a very mild winter in this part of the world (unlike all  the poor souls up North) and I would not be surprised if the bulbs bloomed earlier than usual this year. I think the snow drops will also appear very soon  :)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2016, 01:32:01 PM »
How exciting to see signs of life already! When do you usually see blossoms Milla?

Winter is just finally really settling in around here and it will be months before we see signs of life.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2016, 03:02:25 PM »
 Daffodils are out end of February, beginning of March. Tulips and hyacinths a little bit later... but the snow drops should be out very soon (end of January). I have lots to do in the garden and I am feeling quite lazy at the moment!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2016, 10:01:20 AM »
I guess I'll have to look up snow drops since I'm not familiar with them. Still, I seriously doubt there's any chance of them in our area, if they grow here at all, until at least the end of March. After an unusually warm winter thus far with temps in the 30s F, we finally have snow on the ground and real winter temps of 0 F headed our way this weekend.

Now, I love the four seasons, including winter. After living in parts of the US that didn't have cold, snowy winters for over eight years, I wouldn't trade our winters for anything. There is something peaceful about everything going into hibernation for a few months and also a sense of achievement when one has weathered a particularly harsh winter. They make spring and summer all the more appealing.