News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Force Bloom  (Read 1855 times)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Force Bloom
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2015, 06:32:45 PM »
It's been nearly two weeks so I have to ask: How are the hyacinths coming along? And what's blooming amid all your other flowers these days?
The hyacinths are slow going but their root systems are amazing!  I see green tips on the bulbs.  I see now why the paperwhite bulbs are a favorite for force bloom. I planted the paperwhite and hyacinths in the same vase and the paperwhite are already in bloom. :)  My African violets are all in buds again and should be blooming in the next couple of weeks. I have some orchids in bloom and some are spiking and waiting to see what they look like since this would be their first bloom with me. I am really excited about that but so far with winter, things are a bit slow.

I'm increasing my succulents and was trying to buy some cacti but I was pricked twice while looking and just gave it up. I'm so clumsy that I am afraid that I would really hurt myself.  The succulent genre is big enough to keep me well satisfied.  :lol:
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2015, 04:27:07 AM »
I can see the tips of the bulbs in my garden too! It looks like the squirrels have not got at them. We are having a very mild winter in this part of the world (unlike all  the poor souls up North) and I would not be surprised if the bulbs bloomed earlier than usual this year. I think the snow drops will also appear very soon  :)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2016, 01:32:01 PM »
How exciting to see signs of life already! When do you usually see blossoms Milla?

Winter is just finally really settling in around here and it will be months before we see signs of life.

• Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2016, 03:02:25 PM »
 Daffodils are out end of February, beginning of March. Tulips and hyacinths a little bit later... but the snow drops should be out very soon (end of January). I have lots to do in the garden and I am feeling quite lazy at the moment!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2016, 10:01:20 AM »
I guess I'll have to look up snow drops since I'm not familiar with them. Still, I seriously doubt there's any chance of them in our area, if they grow here at all, until at least the end of March. After an unusually warm winter thus far with temps in the 30s F, we finally have snow on the ground and real winter temps of 0 F headed our way this weekend.

Now, I love the four seasons, including winter. After living in parts of the US that didn't have cold, snowy winters for over eight years, I wouldn't trade our winters for anything. There is something peaceful about everything going into hibernation for a few months and also a sense of achievement when one has weathered a particularly harsh winter. They make spring and summer all the more appealing.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart