News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Skin care routines  (Read 3350 times)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Skin care routines
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2016, 10:51:28 PM »
I am changing my routine and trying new things.  I will post once I have a better handle of things.  LOL! 
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2016, 01:22:51 PM »
After reading about cara4art's success with Curology and reading about it elsewhere I decided to give it a try. I've only used it for three nights but I already like it. My blend contains tretinoin (a very small dose), niacinamide, and vitamin C. I know it's too early for the tretinion to show results but something in that blend has helped lighten my rosacea. I'm pleased so far!
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2016, 02:28:09 PM »
@Styyna: That sounds great already!:) With other results, they take more time to appear(many months in some cases depending)but they will happen.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2016, 06:00:10 PM »
cara4art, thanks for your input and comments about Curology across all three posts. :)

I am heeding your advice to proceed with caution, even though I haven't typically had very sensitive skin up to now. I figure it doesn't hurt to take it slow to start.
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

silverstreak

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2016, 10:14:36 AM »
I've added cleansing my face once a week with my Monsia Sonic 3 facial cleansing brush. I make my own scrub with aloe vera gel mixed with rice flour.

I am going to be using a face mask once a week as well. I will make it with sandalwood powder mixed with rose water, will let you ladies know how this works in a couple of weeks, I'm waiting for the sandalwood powder to arrive from amazon, UK.

UPDATE:   23rd Jan 2017 The face mask was OK, nothing to write home about. Will not bother making it again. I'll look for a bought one. The sandalwood smell is very strong and quite overpowering.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 09:06:18 AM by silverstreak »
  • Complexion: olive
  • Eyes: brown
  • Hair: white & grey, straight but coarse & thick.
silverstreak

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2016, 10:41:59 AM »
Silverstreak, your DIY scrub and mask are intriguing. Please do let us know how they work for you!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2016, 04:40:35 PM »
Cara - Two things...I just learned about the Curology referral program. I'm so sorry that I didn't know about it when I signed up or I would have given you credit.

And I wanted to let you know that I'm proceeding very cautiously. My skin has been a little sensitive so I'm alternating days and using moisturizer in conjunction with it. I also discontinued it for over a week before I had my eyebrows waxed today. So far so good though. :)

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2016, 07:30:56 AM »
@Styyna: No problem about the referral program! Since I don't have contact with a lot of people, I've only gotten referral benefits a couple times myself LOL!
Yes, do be cautious - Rx can sneak up on you as far as sensitivity. Alternating days is a good plan right now - don't increase frequency until you feel absolutely comfortable with that. Then, one can do 2 nights on, 1 off, until one feels used to that, and so on working up gradually to nightly use. A couple of things to remember - wait a full 30 minutes after cleansing face to apply the formula, and then wait another 30 minutes before applying moisturizer. The reason for the first tip is that any kind of dampness on face will INCREASE the potential for irritation. The reason for the second tip is that one wants to have the medication by itself on the skin for a bit before buffering it with any moisturizer. And do use a very gentle moisturizer for this purpose - I've found that CeraVe PM topped by Aquaphor really works great. By the way, Aquaphor can help one tolerate the Rx better as it's a healing ointment. With this combo my skin has not been dry or inordinately sensitive. That's saying something given my various skin disasters in the past.

silverstreak

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2016, 05:07:43 AM »
Silverstreak, your DIY scrub and mask are intriguing. Please do let us know how they work for you!

It worked OK but quite honestly the smell was overpowering and it was no better than any other mask. I think I will look at the Japanese or Korean masks. The aloe vera and rice flour scrub works really well for me but I am always looking for other ones.
silverstreak

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2016, 02:32:51 PM »
Thanks for updating with your experience, Silverstreak. Good luck with your further testing on Korean or Japanese masks!

silverstreak

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2016, 07:38:31 AM »

The scrub works really well but the mask was a disappointment. Apart from the great smell of sandalwood it didn't do too much. I think natural yogurt with honey might be better will do more searching the web.
silverstreak

heatherpayne

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2016, 01:48:06 AM »
I use wet wipes often and wear light weight makeups.

BeautyBarbara

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2016, 10:25:08 PM »
Here's my current night time routine:

I start off with MULTI VITAMIN A+C+E MICELLAR CLEANSING WATER
for dull and stressed skins
by PHYTORELAX LABORATORIES

Here's some info:  The first Multivitamin line was created by the Phytorelax Laboratories; cosmetic products made from fresh juices of Oranges, Carrots and Lemons that contribute three VITAMINS which are essential for the health and beauty of your skin: A+C+E.  We use fresh juices obtained through a centrifugation process that keeps vitamins unchanged and makes them available for the skin.  The multivitamin cosmetic products by Phytorelax are especially for dull, mature and stressed skins since they help reinforce the skin's natural function as a barrier, for a luminous and radiant look.

The Micellar Cleansing Water is a 100% non-alcoholic product formulated for cleansing dull and stressed skins.  Plant surfacants delicately remove makeup and impurities.  The fresh juices contribute the precious pool of Vitamins A+C+E with antioxidant properties that hydrate, refresh and give vitality even to the most delicate and dull skins. 

Made in Italy
by Harbor Natural Cosmetics

Secondly:  I use the ALL CLEAN BALM by heimish
No paraben / No Synthetic perfume / No Artificial pigment
Good for cleansing thick make-up
hypoallergenic ingredients included for sensitive skin type
Balm type cleanser but when it touches water, the texture is changed to oil cleanser

Third:  I use the Facial Yogurt Foam by Happy Bath (part of the Amore Pacific Line)
This is my second tube of this facial cleanser and I don't plan on switching from this anytime soon. I have very dry skin and it gives my face a dewy look and feel.

Fourth: I use Natural Life Oatmeal Therapy Peeling Gel

About the Product
Oatmeal Therapy Peeling Gel - helps to clear skin and prevent blemishes.
Oatmeal Gel removes dirt and excess oil from the skin's surface and unclogs the pores.
Advanced natural formula provides less skin irritation. Oatmeal extract makes skin clean and moisturized. Moringa extract removes heavy metals, toxins, germs and makes skin clean and soft. Organic nutrients from 7 kind of organic vegetables make skin calm and moisturized. It boosts immunity of skin and makes skin healthy and bright.

To be continued.........
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 12:15:28 AM by BeautyBarbara »
  • Complexion: Normal
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Dark Brown

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2016, 12:39:30 PM »
Wow, Barbara, lots of info! Thanks for sharing and I'm looking forward to the next installment.

It's hard, actually nearly impossible, to make out the third product. Is it Yogurt Facial Foam by Happy Bath or something like that? The yellow text is, unfortunately, very difficult to read on the background of the forum. Your description of the product makes it sound like something I might like to try.

Another question: Do you use all three cleansers every night? Or do you switch up? I don't wear makeup very often so don't feel that I need a lot of cleansing.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2016, 02:52:05 PM »
I don't wear a lot of make-up, but I always double-cleanse before going to bed.
At the moment I am using the Toleriane Cleanser by La Roche Posay, Una Brennen's Radiance Vitamin C oil and a Avene gentle toner. At night I use the oil first, then  cleanse with the Toleriane and follow with the toner. I am not using a night cream regularly: if my skin feels tight I use a Bioderma cream for dry skin. In the morning I just use Toleriane and toner and Vichy Novaderm moisturiser if I am at home; if I am going out or working outside and it is windy/cold, I use the Bioderma cream.