News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Do you remember...  (Read 1730 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Do you remember...
« on: January 07, 2016, 05:49:49 PM »
...when we used to share recipes? Have you got any good ones to share with us? especially nice, warming, sustaining dishes for the cold weather :wink:

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Do you remember...
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 09:09:56 AM »
OOoh..great topic! And yes I remember.  :)
I probably shared this before, but I'll post again.  I love homemade soup when the weather turns colder.  Here is my recipe for Pasta Fagioli:

Pasta Fagioli

Diced/chopped: 1 Onion, 2 Celery, 3 cloves garlic
4C chicken broth                      2 cans (14 oz each) petite diced tomatoes
2 cans (8oz each) tomato sauce           4 strips crispy bacon
Italian seasoning                        2 cups small pasta
Fresh Spinach (1 bag 9oz washed & chopped)
2 cans white beans (drained)                   3-4 cups water

Saute  onion, celery, garlic.  Add broth, canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans, bacon, seasoning, 3C water.  Simmer 1 hour.  Add spinach and 2C pasta.  Cook till pasta is done.

(I like to use ditalini for the pasta, & sometimes I cook it seperately & than add to individual soup bowls because it can get overcooked the other way)
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 12:41:51 PM »
For all the years we have been together DH has been the grocery shopper and cook but he is becoming weary of it so I've agreed to start carrying some of the load. I don't yet have anything to share but I'm grateful for the topic and already want to try ILuvLucy's Pasta Fagioli! I look forward to more contributions and promise to share anything really good that I come across.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 01:37:09 PM »
That is a lovely recipe for brunch. Perhaps I will try it with whole wheat  pasta…
I have made a chicken curry the other night and, as I could not find ready- made chapattis in the shop, I bought some wholemeal flour and made my own. I was left with half a bag of flour and decided to bake scones, which we have not had for ages.
Here’s the site where I found the recipe for wholemeal scones with dried fruit:

https://cakeb00k.wordpress.com/2012/10/23/wholewheat-cinnamon-sultana-scones/

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 01:45:44 PM »
Because my mom lives about 40 minutes from work, she stays with us during work week - from my house, she doesn't have to take the freeway and she's about 5 minutes from work) and in lieu of rent ( :lol:) she helps with cooking and picks up my son.  I cook the rest of the time but nothing exciting. I hope people have lots to share so that I can some ideas. :grin:
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 07:09:58 AM »
DH and I are working on a new recipe that I got from a friend. I have the recipe and he tried to duplicate it from memory so that's why we're still working on it. Anyway, it's for a slow-cooked dish that includes pork, potatoes, sauerkraut, onion, and lots of caraway seeds. The first attempt, sans potatoes and with some sugar added (yes, sugar) was good enough that we can't wait to try to make it according to my friend's recipe. I'll share the recipe once we have a success.
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 05:05:35 PM »
Pork , sauerkraut, caraway...that sounds very nice, and very  Eastern European. I am curious! :)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 05:44:30 AM »
I don't have an official recipe for it yet and we've yet to try it again but here's what she told me to do, if you want to give it a try yourself.

• Brown a pork loin roast on all sides in a skillet or Dutch oven.
  • Add some quartered potatoes, a small to medium sliced onion, a lot of sauerkraut (she uses one large and one small can), and a lot of caraway seeds to pork roast.
  • Cook in a slow oven for 3 to 4 hours or until meat is falling apart.

We used a 2-3 lb. roast and that seems to be a good size. How many potatoes? We'll probably try 3 or 4 so there are leftover potatoes to go with the meat. DH used at least a tablespoon of caraway seeds, probably more like 2+ tablespoons. We didn't cover the roast the first time and it wasn't falling apart. So we'll try adding some of the juice from the sauerkraut to the pan and covering it the next time.

My friend and I have Norwegian backgrounds and we both have versions of this meal in our traditions. Perhaps it's shared with Eastern Europe. :)

If you try it please be sure to report back.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 12:54:15 PM »
Sauerkraut features in German, Polish and Hungarian cuisine. I lived a year in Croatia in my early 20s when it was still part of Yugoslavia. They like sauerkraut there and you could buy it in the market. I like a dish called sarma and I even learned to cook it. My husband does not like sour cabbage, he is not very fond of brassicae at all, pickled or not, so I have not cooked it for years. I found the recipe in a blog. Here’s the link:
http://www.chasingthedonkey.com/croatian-cooking-stuffed-cabbages-sarma-recipe/
I don’t know a lot about Norwegian cooking.  I expect fish features prominently in the Norwegian diet. What about meat dishes? And what kind of seasonings/spices/herbs do they use?

Angelcat47

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 09:13:26 PM »
ILucy, Your Pasta e Fagioli recipe almost made me cry. Growing up, many of my friends were Italian and it was a great joy to eat at their houses.Especially at the home of Vita and Anthony Taricani;Mr. Taricani made a mean Pasta e F. I haven't thought about that in years;I was maybe 7 when I knew them. I will have to try your recipe.
  • Complexion: Light skintone,oily and somewhat sensitive
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Medium brown with blonde highlights