News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Never thought I'd start a topic here!  (Read 627 times)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Never thought I'd start a topic here!
« on: February 17, 2016, 01:57:40 PM »
I have tried over the years to overcome a strong aversion to physical activity solely for the purpose of getting in that activity. I've tried gyms, yoga, bicycling, and other activities to no avail. But that is changing.

A friend showed me her Fitbit and another online friend told me about her Garmin activity tracker and my attention was caught. I chose to go with the Garmin Vivofit2 because it has a feature that alerts me when I've been sedentary for an hour or more. So when I'm knitting or doing office work it will give a soft beep to remind me to get up and move. Like all the others, it sets goals for the number of steps to take each day. As I meet my goal each day it increases the goal slightly. Likewise, when I wasn't feeling well for a week and didn't make my goals, it slightly decreased them.

Now, I live in Wisconsin where it's cold and snowy and the road out front (we don't have a sidewalk) has been icy most of the past couple months. But that doesn't stop me. I have a circuit in the house that I walk several times per day so that I get all my steps in. This weekend the weather should be warm enough to melt the ice so I can start walking outside. But, I'm convinced that being able to get up and just start walking, whether I'm still in my PJs or not, has been very beneficial for me. There is no investment other than a little time every hour and burning energy walking. I started slowly and didn't beat myself up for not meeting goals. I just kept walking, even if I could only walk for two or three minutes like when I didn't feel well.

And, with that, it's now time for me to go do some more walking!
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Never thought I'd start a topic here!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 10:29:32 AM »
Congratulations for starting a new healthy habit!:)
I know it's a challenge if one hates to exercise, but the truth is that we all need to move, somehow. You've made a great start - it's been shown that getting some frequent movement in during the course of the day has real health benefits, as in, helping to do the damage done by sitting for long periods, and giving oneself a break from whatever one was doing.
Also, it seems that there really are two kinds of people when it comes to exercise, those who basically hate any form of exercise and it seems like a monumental effort, and those who love to work out, and enjoy hard exercise. For me, I'm one of the latter - I love to work out, dance, walk long distances, and feel pretty crappy and irritable when I don't. I need that outlet to work off nervous energy - that's been like that lifelong, although I didn't get into fitness stuff until my mid-20s. But I was a restless kid before that, and often depressed too.
But back to you, keep up the GREAT work - who knows - you might end up feeling so great, especially as the weather improves and you're able to get out more, that you'll naturally include MORE movement in your day!:)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 02:03:21 PM »
That sounds pretty good, Styyna!  I have been very inactive for a while, not out of choice, as you know. It is difficult not to slip into bad habits when you cannot exercise ( like watching silly day time TV shows  :-[). I try to go out every day and do a bit of walking but I could do with an activity tracker…

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 09:06:37 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement! I needed it.

I've been swamped with work recently and found myself ignoring my tracker's alerts and missing my daily goals. Then I visited my sons and there wasn't a good place to walk - no sidewalks and the streets were icy along the edges. This week I'm slowly building back up toward where I was when I first posted.

The good news is that an acquaintance of mine has joined the local gym and we have started going three times a week to do cardio workouts together. She also does a couple of weight machines and I might add those to my repertoire.

I'm trying to get in shape!
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 07:37:48 AM »
Ooooh...three times a week!  I'm so impressed. It's nice to have an acquaintance to meet up with. What kind of cardio are you doing?  Are you still using the fitness tracker?
 I really need to get motivated & moving.  When I was first married, I went to the gym 5 days a week; now I barely take walks, even though I need the exercise much more now than 30 years ago!
 :sallesport:

• Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 12:28:34 PM »
Until I get stronger I'm using a cycling machine at the gym. I don't trust my balance on a treadmill or other upright machine yet. I've never had good balance and in my current condition it's particularly bad - yet another reason I need to get in shape lest I take a serious fall.

Yes, I'm still using the fitness tracker and walking at least 5 minutes every hour during the first 8 hours of the day. I had fallen away from it when I was visiting my sons and it's been hard to start over again but I'm doing it.

Thanks for asking because posting here helps keep me motivated and honest. :)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 02:48:29 PM »
I should go to the gym, too. Even if I only walk on the thread mill... This is a good post Styyna. I know that I have to take it easy but,  as I get stronger, I need to go back to normal.