News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: What was your last make up purchase?  (Read 5133 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
What was your last make up purchase?
« on: February 27, 2016, 12:30:02 PM »
Mine: Revlon Lipstick ‘Cherries in the Snow’ (don’t laugh!). I have  a bit of money in my Boots loyalty card and I decided to be completely mad and get the kind of bright lipstick that I shy away from. It does look good, believe it or not, but I have to apply it with a brush, blot it, and the put a little gloss on top! Perhaps this does not count as a purchase since I got it with my loyalty points?...

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
Re: What was your last make up purchase?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 09:04:32 AM »
@milla: With your coloring, I'm sure that shade looks great on you. With what you've been through lately, you certainly deserve a pickup!:)
I did buy some makeup recently(in the last month) - two Maybelline lipsticks, one in The Buffs(a range of nudes ranging from light to deep)in Untainted Spice(the 2nd deepest shade, and another one of their Colorsensational lipsticks, in #275 Crazy for Coffee. The Untainted Spice has just a touch more mauve in it but is still warm-neutral, and the Crazy for Coffee is just a touch warmer. Both of these shades have more nuances than drugstore ones usually have, so Maybelline really hit it out of the ballpark with these. I know nude lipsticks are having quite the moment, but if I go too light, that's not good. Mid-to-deeper-toned neutrals work better on me. I also bought the Maybelline The Nudes eyeshadow palette which is great for travel as it's smaller than the L'Oreal LaPalette Nude 1(which I keep for home use). All of these are keepers. Usually I'm not a palettes person but lately there have been many rather nice neutral palettes available at all price points. And warm-neutrals in general for makeup were MADE for me.:)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 11:46:43 AM »
I like the Untainted Spice a lot,  it is the kind of shade I wear when I dress up and want to look chic! The 'Cherries in the snow' is just a bit of fun, but it has shown me that I can wear bright colours. I am lucky to have good teeth and this shade makes them look even better. How I wish I could wear eye shadow! I have not had problems with my eyes but I don't want to tempt fate. Cara, how about posting some photos wearing  your new make up?

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 12:15:10 PM »
@milla: I do have some photos under Look of the Day thread:

http://thetimelessbeauty.com/index.php?topic=6303.0

wearing the LaPalette Nude 1, and a similar-colored lip color as to the ones I described only it's SLIGHTLY brighter. I can't go outright bright with lip colors - that never suited me even when younger.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 02:43:27 PM »
Love your hair and bone structure!

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 11:05:58 AM »
Thanks milla! My hair is naturally mixed waves and curls - I do my color myself mixing 3 shades. Since I'm an artist I'm used to doing this kind of stuff and I'm really organized when I do it. As far as the bone structure, well, genetics gave me that, plus keeping my weight down so I'm not all puffy. I've not had ANY interventions either and won't ever. Since my purchases, aside from buying another tube of my foundation very soon, I'm all set for makeup for quite a while. I really do use stuff up, unlike many people over on MUA who say that they never "hit pan" or finish a bottle on anything because they're always buying NEW stuff!
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 11:46:27 AM by cara4art »

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 12:58:19 PM »
I can't remember my last makeup purchase, it's been that long. It was probably mascara for my son's wedding last July now that I think on it. I've been a real hermit this winter and have lived inside day after day, never putting on makeup. My skin is happy with me but I really need to jolt myself out of this rut! Once the weather changes and spring is truly here I will probably make more of an effort with my appearance. This is nothing new, however. Over the decades I've run hot and cold about makeup. The last time I ran hot I way overbought so I've been very frugal ever since.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 02:22:25 PM »
I was exactly the  same as you Styyna, for quite a few months, but lately I have gone back to wearing a bit of make-up even when I am not going out and I feel better for it. My next purchase will probably be foundation, because I nearly finished my Lancôme foundation.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 04:02:02 PM »
I know that when I find the time and inclination to do my nails and my makeup I feel better for it, too. It's something I need to work on.
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

Angelcat47

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 07:53:20 PM »
Jordana Waterproof Lip Liners in "something" Pink. I bought three.It got good reviews on Amazon and three for less than ten bucks is a steal. I also bought three Julep polishes.
  • Complexion: Light skintone,oily and somewhat sensitive
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Medium brown with blonde highlights

denisiel

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 12:52:37 PM »
Hourglass Ambient Powder (6 pan with blushes, bronzer and highlighters), Guerlain Meteorites, and Viseart Neutral Mattes and Bridal Satin palettes,  All big splurges but all are winners, making it impossible to want to use my other palettes or powders.  Works great on maturing skin - no settling into lines or creases.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2016, 01:04:53 PM »
...all are winners, making it impossible to want to use my other palettes or powders.  Works great on maturing skin - no settling into lines or creases.

What a glowing recommendation. I have Guerlain Meteorites so am familiar with, and love, them but not the Hourglass or Viseart products. Can you say more about one or both of those please? :)

denisiel

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2016, 11:12:14 AM »
The Hourglass Ambient leave a slightly glowing blur effect, diminishing the look of fine lines.  It's not a highlighter or a traditional mattifying powder.  They look kind of shiny in swatches but swept over the face, the effect is like putting a blur filter on your skin.  I have http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/hourglass-ambient-lighting-edit-limited-edition-132-value/4165655 and each powder does something a little different.  The blushes are beautiful and soft and subtle. 

I swatched the powders many times in Sephora and thought they would have a disco ball effect and highlight fine lines.  But in fact, they have the opposite effect, blurring and smoothing lines and leaving a subtle glow.  Not too drying either and I find they don't cling to foundation or look cakey.

The Meteroites have a finer sheen but I find that some of the white balls don't break up when I swirl the brush so sometimes it will look like a little piece of chalk is left on my brow or hairline or cheek.  I do love the Meteorites though - the satisfying rattle in the little tin and the waft of perfume when you open it up makes me feel like a lady, LOL!

The Viseart Palettes are eyeshadows - I have Neutral Matte, Dark Mattes, and Bridal Satin.  The two matte palettes are outstanding and unique - you need to just tap into the shadow lightly with a brush and can do any look with no fallout and no need to keep trying to pick up more product to build opacity.  They blend like no other eyeshadow yet are not powdery and they last all day.  The Bridal Satin is beautiful too but these colors can be replicated in other brands plus I don't use all the colors.  I have many different brands of eyeshadows from drugstore to high end and the Viseart Mattes are superior in color, blend and lasting power.  Anyone can create a beautiful eye look as long as they have a good product that never gets patchy and the colors are flattering.  i got mine on Sephora when they had the 20% off VIB sale: http://www.sephora.com/viseart.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2016, 12:56:21 PM »
Again, excellent information Denisiel. Thank you.

The two new-to-me products, the Hourglass and Viseart palettes, are beautiful. Your description of the Hourglass Ambient is very inviting. I think that I'll look at it the next time I'm in the big city and can visit Nordstrom.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2016, 11:01:52 PM »
Oh, I think it was December and it was an eyeshadow palette from TooFaced. OMG...I thought it's only been two months since I last purchased any kind of makeup.  :lol: 
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves