News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: What was your last make up purchase?  (Read 5867 times)

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
Re: What was your last make up purchase?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2016, 08:57:16 AM »
A few days ago, in the name of trying to get away with spending less on foundation, I bought a bottle of the Maybelline FitMe Dewy+Smooth foundation, in shade #210 which is a nice in between shade of MAC NC25-30. Big mistake - the stuff had a positively harsh SCENT that didn't go away even hours after applying, and my skin was starting to itch from it too. Back to the store it went 2 days ago, and I went to the MAC store and replenished my two tubes of StudioSculpt foundation. It's a lot more money for sure, but a tube lasts me for 6-8 months. I have to have 2 tubes as I have to mix 2 shades 2/3 of the NC30 with 1/3 of the NC25 to get my color. That mixing shade, the NC25 will last me for a year at at least, maybe more, so the cost spread out isn't all THAT bad. Plus sticking with what I know is best for me. Again, WHY do companies put such awful SCENTS in stuff that goes on one's face? I thought with the Maybelline product since it had gotten good reviews that FINALLY it would be a good drugstore foundation, but no. Also, the stuff had no staying power anyway. Big thumbs down, in addition to the aggressive fragrance issue.:(

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2016, 05:27:14 AM »
Well, you tried, Cara. I'm with you when it comes to added fragrance, especially when it's strong and lasts. If I want a lasting scent I will wear my choice of perfume. The last thing I'd want is a makeup product that fights my perfume.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2016, 12:23:06 PM »
I detest strong scented products.  A while ago, having read some good reviews of Olay's Anti-Wrinkle  :-[ Night Cream (yes, I know I am very silly!) and tempted by the low price of afore-mentioned product, I bought a jar and I just could not stand the smell. It is not good value if you cannot wear it, is it?

Swest

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2016, 10:49:17 AM »
Bought  a second tube of Maybelline Age Rewind last month and before that some Physician Formula automatic eyeliners. Other than that I have been getting into doing my nails on a weekly basis and working on getting my hands less dry and cracked looking.
  • Complexion: Fair-med NC20, combo
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Dark Reddish Brown

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2016, 11:35:48 AM »
Last Friday, a day after Prince's death, I bought one of Maybelline's Vivid Matte Liquids in Vivid Violet. I'd been looking at straight-up purple lipsticks for awhile anyway, but this occasion was a great excuse. Amazing color!:) Worn with an otherwise neutral face, it's a nice unexpected jolt. For me, it's not a stretch to wear purple in general as it's one of my signature colors in clothing.

Julie

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2016, 07:03:01 PM »
Hey! The last make up product that I purchased was the Laura mercier setting powder. I recommend anyone who wants there face to look bright and flawless to purchase this! It really is worth every penny. It makes your make up stay in place all day and doesn't leave your face feeling cakey as the day goes on. Unfortunately for me I have quite oily skin and I've found a lot of setting powders I've purchased in the past haven't really done the job in keeping my make up in tact throughout the day. But the Laura mercier one is brilliant!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2016, 06:37:40 AM »
Hi Julie! Welcome to The Timeless Beauty!

That's a glowing recommendation for Laura Mercier's setting powder. I'm happy to hear you've found something that works so well for you. I actually think I have some that has languished for a while so I should pull it out and give it another try. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

chataround

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2016, 06:50:24 AM »

My last purchase was Clinique's pop of color blush. At $22 it is far more than I usually spend, but I do like it very much
and it lasts all day, which is great. It also doesn't have any glittery "stuff" in it that I don't care for. The little powder is in the
shape of a flower, which pleases my eye so much! It was a good purchase.
  • Complexion: very fair, some slight rosacea
  • Eyes: hazel
  • Hair: slightly wavy, shoulder length, soft black
"Taking joy in living is a woman's best cosmetic."
                   - Rosalind Russell

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2016, 09:26:41 AM »
It looks very nice, which shade did you buy?

chataround

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2016, 11:56:52 AM »
I bought the berry pop, the one that's most pink. Hi, Milla!!
                   - Rosalind Russell

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2016, 02:32:36 AM »
Hi Chataround, it's great to have you back!
I went a bit mad and splashed out on a Kevyn Aucoin Eye brow pencil (see below). As I cannot wear mascara or eye shadow, it seemed reasonable...
http://www.spacenk.com/uk/en_GB/brands/k/kevyn-aucoin/the-precision-brow-pencil-MUS300022981.html

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2016, 09:25:51 AM »
@milla: Excellent! Even with the current emphasis on brows these days, a lot of women, especially mature women don't realize that just sprucing up one's brows to make them a bit fuller in parts where they might have thinned out with age makes a BIG difference. It can literally take a few years off, yet not look scary. The brows frame the face, and one doesn't have to wear as much eye makeup(if one doesn't want to). On days when I've had little time, or not been able to wear eye makeup due to an eye irritation of one sort or another, I've just done my brows and called it a day.:)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2016, 01:10:07 PM »
It does make a difference!

chataround

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2016, 02:17:28 PM »

I seem to be too heavy handed when I use a brow pencil but I do use a powder with a small brush, and that helps me a lot
and gives me a natural look. 
                   - Rosalind Russell

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2016, 02:50:21 PM »
Yes I like the powder and brush technique myself too.:)