News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: What was your last make up purchase?  (Read 7138 times)

Angelcat47

• Gold Member
Re: What was your last make up purchase?
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2016, 06:26:09 PM »
Even though I have oily skin, I like that micellars don't strip. It took me a long time to learn how bad that was for my skin. I also like how soft and clean my skin feels afterwards. If I'm lazy,I slap on Cerave PM after that and call it a night.

My last makeup purchase was a mascara called Skinny Microcara(it's a Korean brand but I don't remember the name offhand). I always seem to get mascara all over my eyes no matter how careful I am so I thought I'd try this. I just got it so I'll post results when I try it.
  • Complexion: Light skintone,oily and somewhat sensitive
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Medium brown with blonde highlights

Fenice

« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2016, 10:10:54 AM »
NYX Pro Lip Cream palette in Red. I recently rediscovered red lips and, to my surprise, found that a red-orange really suits me. (I used to gravitate to wines and plums, but this red orange makes me feel fabulous.)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2016, 10:19:09 AM »
I purchased this one two weeks ago(?) and it broke two days ago. The color is purchased is Tea Rose. I don't have the receipt anymore or I would have returned it.  The product is too soft and long so I think that's why it broke. I can still use it. 

http://www.elfcosmetics.com/p/matte-lip-color?&gclid=CM798d7AoM4CFUSSfgodrEQEnw

It looks mauvy(sp?) on my lips.  It feels dry but if you put on chapstick first or after, it seems to be fine and last longer that I expected. 
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Swest

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2016, 11:46:02 AM »
My local drugstore had a sale on Revlon lipsticks, so I treated myself to some new shades and a couple of favorites.
  • Complexion: Fair-med NC20, combo
  • Hair: Dark Reddish Brown

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2016, 03:43:26 PM »
Bought a lip liner:
http://www.boots.com/en/NYX-Mechanical-Lip-Pencil_1770495/
This is the first time I buy this brand; it has recently become available in the UK . The lip liner is pretty good.

angela001

« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2016, 11:18:39 AM »
My last make up purchase was Loreal infallible matte foundation, last week, and I am still testing it.. Not very sure if I am liking it so far..

gilberte

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2016, 12:27:56 PM »
I bought 2 Essence lipsticks for about 3 euro each and love them! Also NYC bb cream/bronzer (a bb cream with a bronze tone) for less than $5, oh, and the Sleek Cleopatra's Kiss highlighter palette on sale for $7 or so (in euro).  It's shades of gold which work for me; a bit of an impulse which I don't regret.

The Essence lipsticks are fabulous, and sheer enough that you can apply them without a mirror and not worry.  Very moisturizing but not too slippery.

I'm so sick of beauty blogs, non-stop ads, images in the media of women heavily made-up, articles encouraging us to buy more make-up, and the way my local drugstore has turned into a makeup emporium that I'm wearing less of the stuff.  I'm not against doing what one wants to make oneself prettier or whatever, but the exterior pressure to follow the 'influencers' is so irritating. 

If anyone's interested, I totally recommend the youtube vlogs of Kimberly Clark, who does anti-hauls (What I Am Not Going to Buy).  She questions all of our beauty needs and the shopping pressure. 

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2016, 02:05:00 PM »
I have had a look at the video, it is quite funny!

Age Gracefully

« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2016, 01:43:13 AM »
My last purchase was a peach lip colour from The Body Shop - #110. This colour brightens my face instantly, nice texture and it's moisturising too. I love it!

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2016, 10:46:13 AM »
About a month and a half ago I bought a Revlon matte lip crayon in the shade Fierce - it's a beautiful rich brick red that's really flattering. Not drying at all either. Loving bolder lip shades including straight-up unusual ones(looking at the Maybelline Loaded Bolds collection which has a bunch of winning shades). I'll pretty much have to wait until AFTER Christmas before buying anything else though. Even if it's just ONE lipstick.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2016, 10:55:34 AM »
I have not bought anything from the Body Shop for a few years, but I remember that their lipsticks were good quality and very moisturising. I am not buying anything until after Christmas. I had to go to a department store today to buy some sewing stuff and the pace was packed, so no shopping except for food and essentials. They cannot tempt me with their 'special offers' and 'in-store events' :)

JenniferJill

« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2016, 11:14:47 AM »
Hi!  This is my first post.  My last purchase was Mary Kay eyeliner in black.  I am liking that it glides on my aging eyes and does not come off until I take it off.  However it is tough to get off!  Looking into a new eye makeup remover. 
  • Complexion: Fair, somewhat dry.
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Silver/Brunette, Curly/Wavy, Dry
I am 51.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2016, 02:21:51 PM »
Hello and welcome!

JenniferJill

« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2016, 04:15:34 PM »
Thank you milla!!!  I think I found the forum/site that I have been looking for!!!  I am excited!!!
  • Complexion: Fair, somewhat dry.
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Silver/Brunette, Curly/Wavy, Dry
I am 51.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2016, 08:01:36 AM »
Yes, welcome JenniferJill! We're so glad you found us and excited to have you join!

:welcomepicture:
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart