News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: What was your last make up purchase?  (Read 7742 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Re: What was your last make up purchase?
« Reply #75 on: August 20, 2017, 05:26:27 AM »
Lip liners are great, as long as you get the right colour and texture. I find some very hard and the soft ones break easily. Not too keen on spending a lot of money in make up in general, but a lip liner is probably one of the few  things that are worth a bit of a splurge, because they last ages.
I used to love brownish lipsticks in the 70s! Now with my colouring it would look terrible on me.

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #76 on: August 20, 2017, 09:01:06 AM »
@libraryannie: Actually, on me the Mochalicious comes off neutral, not really cool on me, and it really is a "go-with everything daily" shade. Even though I'm warm overall, if I go too orange-y with lipsticks  that doesn't look good, and I can wear a cooler tone if it's not TOO bright or light, and it has some depth and complexity to it. I'm liking the deeper more complex lipstick shades that are out now. Believe it or not, I DON'T look good in glossy lipsticks or glosses - they actually make my lips look SMALLER. A semi-matte to matte, with lip liner over-lined just a bit, actually looks better on me. I know, this goes against the so-called "rules" that mature women should only wear light glossy stuff on lips and all. More about the Mochalicious shade, WnW seems to have lightened that up and made it more orange-y. I had to ditch one new tube of that and replace it with one that's more what it was. So I'm looking very closely at any tubes that I do get of that. I did get a back-up to my old one that works. For a lip liner, it's hard to beat WnW #666, a YLBB shade that works with a lot of lipsticks. However, if I'm wearing my straight-up purple(like the Maybelline Violet Vixen, I use a bright purple eyeliner as my lip pencil. Works great!:)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #77 on: August 20, 2017, 11:57:13 AM »
Cara, I can imagine you with these two lipstick shades, the Mochalicious and the Violet Vixen, You have got the colouring and the personality to wear both shades As for the texture, funnily enough I agree with you. After years of wearing glossy lipsticks or lip gloss now prefer a semi-matte. Fortunately my lips are dry and the satin lipstick goes on very smoothly. But I moisturise my lips every night with a lip treatment, Eucerin lip balm, which I don't think you have in the US. I would love to try a red lipstick, but I have never found the right one for me...any ideas? Please see a recent photo on the LOTD board! :wink:

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #78 on: August 20, 2017, 04:07:46 PM »
@milla: Reds are tricky. They say "there's a red for everyone" but it's actually not that easy to find just the right one for some of us. I'd love to find a red that has some complexity to it and doesn't just turn fuchsia on my lips. And no, a red gloss absolutely DOESN'T cut it - that's one of the suggestions that are usually handed out to people who are shy about red lipsticks. Yet some people love and easily find red lipsticks, so go figure. I did check out your photo - what with my own hesitation about red lipsticks, I'm really not sure what to recommend for you. Some people really aren't red lipstick people. Maybe someone else might have a suggestion for milla?

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2017, 03:01:16 PM »
Nah... this is just a bit of silliness, I can't wear red. I don't think there is a red for everyone. What is the point in wearing something that does not suit you just because it is 'iconic'?

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2017, 05:28:51 PM »
"Nah... this is just a bit of silliness, I can't wear red. I don't think there is a red for everyone. What is the point in wearing something that does not suit you just because it is 'iconic'?" - milla

@milla: exactly right!:) I didn't even look that great in red lipstick when I was a lot younger. Yet I love it on the right other people.:) Just for me, it really does have to be exactly the right shade with complexity which is hard to find. Maybe higher-end lipsticks might have it? But with my budget I do have to be careful what I spend on makeup and prioritize what I spend on, and what I scrimp on.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2017, 04:31:05 AM »
Same here. My pension is no where near what my salary was, and prioritising makes sense. In fact I wish I had started earlier! but you know what it is like: you work hard and you fall into the trap of 'I need something to cheer me up/ I deserve this treat'... I am not going to go on, we have been here before, haven't we? But I do love to see red lipstick on some women, no matter their age!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2017, 05:00:20 PM »
Milla, I saw your picture and my first thought is that you could wear a true red, one that leans neither blue nor orange. Unfortunately, I'm not well enough acquainted with lipstick colors to make a recommendation.

Starting in my teens I could and did wear sheer red lipsticks. I think that starting with an inexpensive sheer red would be the way for you to go if you really wanted to try a red. The intensely pigments reds are pretty bold to start with.

• Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #83 on: August 27, 2017, 01:05:47 PM »
I had a morning to myself on Friday ( ‘sandwiched’ between two child-minding sessions) and decided to put the Great Red Lipstick Debate to bed, as far as I am concerned. So I went hunting for a red lipstick that I could wear. This is what I found out:#1 if you try makeup in Space NK everything will suit you, because the lights are designed to make you look good. It is a great confidence booster… but if you are, like me, suspicious of the flattery of mirrors, you won’t part with your money until you look at yourself in the cruel daylight. #2 there is a red lipstick that suits me (there are probably more…) it is by Nars and it is from their Audacious range; it is called Rita! However I can’t see myself wearing it to answer the door to my neighbour or even to go to the shops; I can see myself wearing it in the evening, all dressed up in a black dress and wearing my little diamond studs. This is not me: this is a cliché. To be me, I like something a little less predictable…#3 there are much better ways to use a free morning than going around shops looking at make –up…but if you have spent a day looking after a very active little girl and a baby who is getting bigger by the day, you need it.

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #84 on: August 28, 2017, 12:31:43 PM »
@milla: I'm with you about lighting in the stores, which is why I ALWAYS check out how something looks in broad daylight before parting with my money. Often in department stores here in the US, the lighting is so awful that one really can't tell how something looks. And it seems that the sales associates are somewhat peeved when one says one is going outside to see how the swatch, etc. looks. Well, too bad - it's our money isn't it? I hear you about the red lipstick too, and agree if it really isn't one and one just doesn't feel right wearing, even it looks good, then one doesn't have to just because someone says so. To me, what is "iconic" is something that IS true to one, and that fits one like a glove, which goes for both makeup and clothing.:) I understand about you having needed the break after the kids though.:)