News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Food:guilty pleasures  (Read 1738 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Food:guilty pleasures
« on: February 27, 2016, 12:36:50 PM »
My guilty pleasure is a delicious, hot croissant with a cup of coffee at about 11:00 am when I go to the shops. I try to avoid it as much as I can because I of all the calories in a croissant but I love it!
What are your guilty pleasures? (spill the beans, ladies!)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 11:29:53 AM by milla »

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Food:guilty pleasures
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 09:10:55 AM »
Extra-dark chocolate - I have some daily. I probably shouldn't, for my weight. Also any kind of flour products are guilty pleasures for me so I really do keep tabs on just how much I eat of them. Not that I'm overweight, but I'd likely be a bit thinner if I didn't eat either. The rest of my diet is good.:)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 11:33:11 AM »
Cara, you don't need to be thinner! Dark chocolate is good for you. I read somewhere this week that you can have a  couple of squares every day after dinner.
I love flour products but I have to enjoy them in moderation! I have put on weight because I have not been exercising :( This is not good...

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 12:36:25 PM »
Dark chocolate is a weakness of mine as well. Although right now I have a small supply of English "biscuits" that are full of butter and other good things that beckon to me. I limit myself to one small piece per day. No chocolate is consumed on days that I have a biscuit.

I generally have a craving for carbs. I've found that just by limiting my carbs and adding a small amount of exercise to my days that I can lose about 5 lbs. per month. My blood sugar levels have fallen to within normal ranges, too, as a result. Now if my cholesterol levels would just drop the rest of the way to normal I'd be good. "Good" cholesterol and triglycerides are great, just the "bad" cholesterol hasn't dropped all the way to normal yet.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 02:43:32 PM »
Carbs are my downfall. I wonder why so many people crave them? I try to have a healthy breakfast and include some protein, but I always feel like a coffee and a biscuit at around 11:00am…If am out it is worse. ‘I can resist anything except temptation’. Cara, you are a health-conscious, wise lady, what is your advice to us, carb-loving (i.e. biscuits/cake/pastries) girls?

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 06:28:22 PM »
@milla: I do eat carbs, make no mistake! Since I do have a fitness program in place, I do need some more carbs than someone who is inactive. It's just that refined flour-containing products in general, tend to be a lot worse for one than natural ones, also refined added sugar in anything. A step up is choosing whole-grain types of carbs, like really good bread that has sprouted grains, seeds, etc. in it, as well as other grains(quinoa, steel-cut oats, rice, etc.), if one's body is OK with the grains that is. Many women aren't at and after menopause, others are fine as long as they don't overdo. Portion control really helps, and one has to tweak that to see what one can get away with each day. Varying one's carbs, by really limiting refined flour-containing ones in favor of the whole-grain ones, and filling in with alternate starchy carbs like potatoes, quinoa, non-starchy vegetables, fruit, and beans(yes beans do have carbs but also protein and valuable fibers) is really helpful. There's a LOT of carb-phobia on this side of the pond as low-carb diets of various sorts are very popular. Some of these people go as far as to say that it makes no difference whether one is eating perfectly good whole-grain whatever, and a candy bar, as far as how it gets metabolized in the body. I'm not so sure about that myself. It's the refined SUGARY stuff that's the problem not the other stuff. Sure, if one has blood sugar problems, or is very sedentary, one needs fewer carbs than someone who is more active. Some people however do very well on low-carb diets because they're carb-sensitive for one reason or another, and for others(like me)they're a recipe for misery. Sure, a low-carb diet does work to get the weight off, but the problem with it is that the minute one adds back in any normal amount of carbs, guess what, the weight comes RIGHT back. How sustainable is that? Not at all. Also, some people who try to go low-carb end up being MORE carb-sensitive than they were before going on such a diet. We're all different as far as how we respond to foods, but in general, there has to be some sort of middle ground where one eats well for one's goals, and some stupid fad diet, of which there are all too many right now. It's also not helpful when one sees "junk science" news where one week a particular groups of foods is great for one, and the very next one might as well be eating poison. The takeaway from all this is that one can't go wrong if one is eating basic natural foods, simply prepared, and save the refined stuff for treats only. If one is pretty clean with one's diet at least 80% of the time over a long period, that puts one way ahead of a lot of people who are loading up on junk all the time. Hope this is helpful to anyone out there.:)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 07:42:46 AM »
Cara, thanks for sharing your thoughts about carbs!

I am in agreement with you on all points. When I referred to my carb craving I was referring to an unhealthy craving for refined carbs, those with white flour and sugar in them. Generally, though, I believe that whole grains and other healthy carbs are quite acceptable in healthy eating, in moderation as with all things. (I am fortunate that I don't have sensitivities to wheat or any foods actually.) In fact, if I don't have some healthy carbs in my daily diet I find that my predisposition to depression and anxiety is tweaked. A balanced diet is essential to my mental health. Consuming too much in the way of refined carbs sets me on the high-low blood sugar roller coaster which is also not good for my state of mind.

Thanks again for spelling it out so well.
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2016, 09:31:42 AM »
I agree with you, Cara, there is no doubt that protein-only diets make you lose weight, but they play havoc with your health. I love vegetable soups, salads with couscous and bulghur, grains, pulses and fruit. I do not eat red meat very often these days. Portion control works for me, I need to eat little and often. But like Styyna said, I get a craving for the unrefined carbs every now and then. Not white bread, I really don’t like it, but the odd croissant…the blueberry muffin… :wink:

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 10:42:38 AM »
     Good to see a few people with me here after my soapbox about carbs!:)
     Meanwhile, not too long ago, I got into a positively miserable interchange with a Facebook friend who has been on the Wheat Belly diet. The author of this book, Dr. David Williams goes into great detail about how BAD all grains are, ESPECIALLY modern-day wheat, and that it makes NO difference if it's refined, whole, or sprouted - according to him it has the same deleterious effects on the body. Recently he's gone as far as including pretty much all grains on the total no-no list, as well as perfectly good things like potatoes. Granted, some people who are indeed grain-intolerant may benefit from eliminating them, but certainly not all. After all, many people throughout the world eat a lot more grain and other natural starches and they don't seem to have the obesity problem that Western nations have. But back to my friend - she got onto the Wheat Belly diet because according to her, she was on her way to diabetes, and her health did improve. However, not only is she not eating grains, she is eating no dairy, no legumes, and no sugar in any form(OK, maybe a portion of a green apple, or 10 blueberries yes she actually counts them as recommended by Dr. David Williams). Anyhow, she says that "everyone" should read the book and get onto this diet, which she has been on for 7 months. Now, 7 months is not all that long for a lifestyle change, and I have to wonder is she REALLY going to be able to keep this up for the long term? Somehow I don't think so! Anyhow, she pretty much dismissed my views on carbs as "well, you can believe what you want to believe, etc." even though I bent over backwards to be respectful of her choices and support her in her quest to improve her health. Again, no one diet works for all!
     Also, it seems that these days that people who are looking to go on diets are increasingly choosing more extreme ones like the above. Back in the day, it seems that anyone who was looking to drop some weight, or improve their health would simply shift to fresher foods, practicing portion control and getting in some exercise. Oh no, now it has to be gluten-free, carb-free, dairy-free, etc. all at once. Just wondering if the modern lifestyle in general is inducing people to feel they have to go on more draconian diets to lose weight and improve their health. However, on the other end of the spectrum, you have people who simply don't care about what they eat whatsoever and will eat whatever junk is put in front of them.
     Again, you won't see me giving up carbs anytime soon. I tell people, just try to get through a decent workout without them. Also, it's what one does 90% of the time with one's diet that makes the difference - the occasional indulgence(pick one's treat) is not going to derail all the other good work. Life DOES happen after all!:)

Pankitty

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 05:35:42 PM »
Hello, all.

I am new to the forum; I stumbled upon it quite by accident last night. I've been reading thru some of the posts and I think all this is great. These discussions are full of stuff I love to chat with other women about. And eating - well, who doesn't like to eat?

My guilty pleasure: red wine, cheese and crackers. And they seem to go together. I don't drink a lot of wine at a sitting; I'm a glass and a half max kinda person. My husband likes to say 'give her a glass and she's a fun date - two glasses and she's ready for sleep!'

I also have a friend who doesn't do gluten or dairy but she is very good at not trying to impose her eating preferences on anyone else. She bends over backwards, in fact, to not make it an issue.

I think there is a big difference between fresh fruit & veggie carbs vs starchy carbs. I try to hold the starchy carbs to some sort of contained volume but when it comes to fruits and vegetables the gloves are off and they are all good!

My other guilty pleasure - nuts. I just love 'em! I believe a limited amount of nuts per day is very good for you. But they are so calorie dense I really have to pay attention because I can just keep munching on them and eat a weeks allotment in a day if I'm not careful.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 12:58:14 PM »
About 4 years ago, I went through a period when I re-assessed my family life, job etc. I felt that I had been trying to be all things to all people and I felt, well, angry about it. Angry and other things… So I stopped dying my hair (and I am not sorry I did, because I have the kind of colouring that suits grey, hair). I also went on a protein-only diet and I lost a lot of weight in a relatively short time. I went down a size 6 UK (that is a size 4 in the US, I think). But I found out that, when you lose a lot of weight at 60, you do not get the body you had when you were 20, because you do not just lose fat, you actually lose muscle. Yes I was very slim and I could fit into tiny dresses, but I did not look good, believe me. When I looked in the mirror… well, suffice it to say that I was very thin. I hasten to say have never had food issues and this was nothing like an eating disorder; but it was an experiment that went wrong.  Protein –only diets do work, but you don’t want to go there, imho. These days, I eat vegetables and fruit every day, grains, pulses…I love soft cheeses and nuts too, but I eat these in moderation and I try to eat them at lunch time (for example, a rocket salad with  beetroot ,  goat cheese and pine nuts). For breakfast I have porridge made with oats and added linseed, or yoghurt and fruit, or a couple of slices of wholemeal toast. In the evening we tend to have chicken, turkey or fish; occasionally pork or lamb. I do not eat a lot of beef. I always make sure that my meat intake is balanced by my vegetable and grain intake. I have never been a big drinker but I enjoy a glass of red three times a week. I am now a size 10 UK/8 US and I look much  better for it.

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 06:06:57 PM »
@milla:
     I agree completely about unsustainable diets, and getting TOO low in weight. Recently I was reading that when one is considering a diet to start losing weight, one shouldn't choose one where one can't keep up the general style of eating for at least 5 years, meaning that it has to be a lifestyle change that one can live with even after the desired amount of weight is lost and one can maintain. The Dukan diet and those of its ilk don't sound like it. Such diets also lead to eating disorders in a surprising number of women because if a little bit is good, a lot is better - right? As you found out - wrong, even without an eating disorder. Plus really strict dieting puts us under a lot of stress at a time when we don't need it, post-menopause. Read up on cortisol and you will see what I mean.
     Again, it sounds like you balanced yourself out since then with a very do-able eating style and are at a healthier state, the recent cancer situation not withstanding. However, if one just diets and doesn't do any strengthening exercise, with just about any diet, one does indeed lose muscle in addition to fat, 50-50 according to some sources. With that sort of ratio going on, people do indeed become smaller, but not firmer as a result. As you say, because one is older, that effect is magnified. This is why some sort of strengthening training(gym or equivalent) is so beneficial the older we get, to offset the muscle-loss, or at the very least, slow it down considerably. Otherwise that age-related muscle-loss is very real. The greater proportion of lean tissue on one's frame, the higher one's metabolism, so one doesn't have to totally starve oneself to maintain one's weight. For the average woman a solid program will firm her up, and keep her much more able-bodied as she gets older. Not to mention that whatever strengthens muscle ALSO does it to bone, again important. I don't say any of this lecturing anyone here but just passing along stuff I've learned along the way.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 12:42:30 PM »
I think Cara is right when she says that a diet must be sustainable.  I said that my Dukan diet it was not an eating disorder, because I knew what I was doing and why I was doing it and I did have a realist view of my own body, i.e., I knew that I was too thin and I did not like the side effects of  the diet (that is why stopped it after a month).I But in a way, it was an eating disorder, because I changed my diet and my image as a response to pressure, as a way to assert myself. It is important to be honest about these things.  A lot of people give in to this kind of feelings, not just teenagers. One of my sisters was a strict vegan for about two or three years in her late thirties and I have got a (male) friend who did the same. I have never discussed this with them, but I always felt that these experiences had deep roots in what was happening in their lives. My sister became quite obsessed with health issues, but the real motive for this obsession  was feeling bad about being a working mother. As for my friend…it is quite a complicated story. I was angry because I could not do my job the way I felt it should be done and I was forced to accept the lower standards of those above me.   I was angry with a lot of things actually. In spite of the recent events or maybe because of it, I am a lot more relaxed and laid back. The way people eat and diet and our life style in developed countries is so linked to what is going on in our mind. This is why I think that someone who wants to lose weight needs to take a good,  hard look at their feelings and what is going on in their head!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 01:06:48 PM »
Well said, Milla and Cara. I'm in agreement with all that was said.

About looking inward when desiring to lose weight, I can speak from experience. The easiest weight I ever lost occurred when I felt good about myself. Even my weight wasn't particularly bothering me. The hardest time to lose weight is when I'm feeling down on myself about my weight and/or other things. That's one reason why I've been trying to focus on physical activity ahead of losing weight. I know that the most important thing I can do for myself right now is to increase my activity level on a consistent basis. On days when I succeed I find myself eating in a healthier fashion almost without trying. One thing leads to another. Unfortunately, it works both ways. If I have a bad day, it's harder to stay on the healthy eating wagon.

I realized, reading Milla's words, that I no longer have a preconceived notion of what my body shape "should" be. I've noticed the sagging of age coupled with carrying extra weight and understand that at a certain point most of us lose resilience and elasticity. Few woman can wear a bikini at age 60 as beautifully as Helen Mirren did. Instead I have determined a weight that I believe will be healthy for me to strive toward and then maintain. I've weighed less than my goal weight but I'm not sure I was very healthy then. Your words, Milla, again reassure me that I'm on the right track.

Thanks, beauties, for sharing your wisdom. I find it informative and thought provoking.

Speaking of activity - it's time for me to get up and move!

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2016, 09:11:24 AM »
Hmmmm...great discussion!  Well, I have a weight problem so my guilty pleasure is not knowing when to say no to food. But, I am working at it since I now work where there is the 24hour fitness. I was doing good for a while when my work had me working 10 hours days.  The crunch is over and I will be going back to my routine.

But, if you had to push me to naming one or two things...chips.  :bliss:
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2016, 10:20:18 AM »
Cheers to you, SusieQ, for going back to your routine. It's not always easy to get back into exercising after a break. You go, girl!

chataround

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2016, 06:53:33 AM »

As a recovering binge eater, carbs get me all the time.

Several weeks ago I started the No S plan. I hate to even call it a diet because it is not, and finally I have found something that can be sustainable for the rest of my life. It's a very simple premise. No sweets, no seconds, no snacks, EXCEPT on days  that begin with the letter S, and on "special" days.

Haven't binged in two weeks now, SOOO HAPPY!
  • Complexion: very fair, some slight rosacea
  • Eyes: hazel
  • Hair: slightly wavy, shoulder length, soft black
"Taking joy in living is a woman's best cosmetic."
                   - Rosalind Russell

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2016, 09:23:53 AM »
Good luck with you diet Chataround. It does not sound like a diet to me, more of a sensible, healthy eating plan, which is far better than fad diets anyway.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2016, 02:34:33 PM »

As a recovering binge eater, carbs get me all the time.

Haven't binged in two weeks now, SOOO HAPPY!

That's great, Chataround. Carbs are my weakness and, while I haven't binged on them in a while, I still can't seem to resist that piece of chocolate in the evening. I like your idea of limiting sweets, seconds, and snacks to days that start with S and special days. Might be something I'll copy. Keep up the good work!

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2016, 03:37:09 PM »
I can resist chips... but not in  Belgium, they are fantastic.

Angelcat47

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2016, 07:06:41 PM »
German Chocolate Cake is my favorite,but really.....any cake will do!!!
  • Complexion: Light skintone,oily and somewhat sensitive
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Medium brown with blonde highlights

jaerae

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2016, 06:52:55 PM »
enjoy life snicker doodle soft baked cookies or their double chocolate brownie when choc is 'needed'

chataround

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2016, 06:55:21 PM »

chocolate is always needed.
  • Complexion: very fair, some slight rosacea
  • Eyes: hazel
  • Hair: slightly wavy, shoulder length, soft black
"Taking joy in living is a woman's best cosmetic."
                   - Rosalind Russell

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2016, 03:36:38 AM »
Well, dark chocolate is said to be very good for you, as long as you don't overdo it.