News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Tatcha Skincare Line  (Read 2538 times)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
Tatcha Skincare Line
« on: March 24, 2016, 12:15:42 AM »
I'm sure that you've heard for this line and was just wondering if anyone has tried any of their products.  It's in the same price range as Shisiedo, I think. I went to Sephora with some friends at lunch today and I purchased a face oil and a sample size powder cleanser.

I hope I don't like it because the face oil was a bit pricey.
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Tatcha Skincare Line
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 02:36:25 PM »
I had a look at their site and ouch! the prices are a bit steep. Still, if the products are really good...

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 10:38:46 AM »
I'm sure there are some "feel-nice, smell-nice" products in that line, you know, the sort that one thinks because they're all-natural, high-priced, expensively-packaged, that they will actually do something. I have no experience with it myself, but saw some one time in a store here and thought about one of their products for about a minute LOL until I saw the price. I used to be more attracted to higher-priced natural lines like this until I found that they really weren't any better than tried and true stuff available at a much-lower price point. However, for people who can genuinely afford this kind of stuff and just want to maintain a nice skin, maybe.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 09:29:40 AM »
It's been about two months since I purchased any skincare of makeup. And, while I was saving money there, what I saved, I use to buy more orchids.  :lol:

:sign0018:

Anyhoo...while the oil was rather pricey, I do like it. I don't know if it's because I've been knee deep in gardening and needed something not soil, fertilizer or plant related item but I've been enjoying it. Mother's Day is around the corner, maybe I will treat myself to something else from this line and really see if it's worth the price.  It will probably be more like a guilty pleasure of some sort.  :D

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 07:11:24 AM »
It doesn't need to be a guilty pleasure. You deserve the pleasure that a nice product brings to you. You work hard and if a special cream or other skin care product brings you happiness and it doesn't break the bank then go for it!

I bet you didn't feel guilty about purchasing more orchids and that's good, too! :)
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

denisiel

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 11:53:07 AM »
OK, i have indulged in Tatcha - Camelia Oil, Blotting Papers, Enzyme Powder, Luminous Skin Mist, Eye Cream and Silk Cream. They are all very nice but not Holy Grail products.  The best is the enzyme powder but I've found a cheaper option and many brands are doing enzyme powders now.  The oil feels luxurious but I think the Shu Uemura oils cleanse just as well, especially the Ultime8.  Silk Cream is overpriced for a basic moisturizer.  The Skin Mist is wonderful for dry airplane air but the glass bottle is not travel friendly and the cap cracked after one use.  I'd purchase the Mist again if it had travel friendly packaging and cost less ($45 is way too much).  All Tatcha packaging is lovely and even though I don't like to pay for packaging, it does bring a joy when using the products. 

Tatcha is more like a sensory experience - from the personally addressed handwritten note enclosed in the package, the gorgeous bottles and rice paper wrapping, textured boxes enrobed in gold and lavender coloring, the way everything is lined up perfectly when you first open the product to the way the caps close so the ribbons line up just right - so much attention to detail makes you feel like it's a Japanese spa experience. 

They do a lot of promotions if you sign up for their email list so that can be a good way to try a few things.  I'd buy the enzyme powder again if there was a good promo or GWP.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 12:47:56 PM by denisiel »

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 01:08:25 PM »
I've never heard of enzyme powder from this line or any other. What are its purpose and benefits? Thanks!
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

denisiel

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 10:58:34 AM »
Hi Styyna,

Enzyme powders are very mild exfoliants and cleansers that polish the skin but do not strip or use abrasives.  Tatcha's gentle formula is very mild but my skin is incredibly soft afterwards without being irritated as with most exfoliants - https://www.tatcha.com/shop/rice-enzyme-powder-gp.  I use tretinoin so get a lot of flakey and dry skin and need to exfoliate and have been battling between peeling skin and too harsh exfoliators.  I like this powder as well as the Suisai powder, which you can get at Amazon, is much cheaper and is travel friendly as it comes in little capsules.

I used to exfoliate a lot after being on Obagi NuDerm but my skin was always irritated and red.  Finally concluded that glycolic acid is too harsh and lactic acid, mandelic acid and enzymes are much better for my dry skin.  If you have dull skin, try an enzyme powder - so gentle and instant results with no irritation.

HTH!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 12:48:33 PM »
Thanks Denisiel! I am intrigued by enzyme powders as a result of your excellent description. I will be giving one a try though I think I might look into the less expensive option from Amazon first. My days of getting a rush from the total packaging experience are behind me. They were fun while they lasted though! :)

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 09:55:57 AM »
@Styynna: I'm with you on the packaging, totally! In fact, I shy AWAY if I see skin care that has supposedly beautiful appealing packaging. Then I get the sense that they've made more effort with that than the actual product. Ever since learning about what really really works for skin for both basic and anti-aging skin care, I prefer very utilitarian plain packaging myself. No fancy stuff no "pretty jars" that suck women in. I'm actually glad to stick to a narrow range of products myself, given my skin history. I even prefer very plain makeup packaging too, like sleek black containers with no decorations and aren't bulky.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2016, 07:11:11 AM »
Cara, isn't it ironic though that sleek black, unornamented containers can be chic enough to warrant a higher price in some products? I can't think of the products now but some years ago I saw products in something like that kind of packaging, skin care products If I recall correctly, and they were pricey. I guess anything that makes a statement can be used to raise the price. If only it was all dependent on the ingredients only, huh? :)

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 10:21:10 AM »
Yes indeed, but I was really more referring to some inexpensive to mid-end makeup products(WetnWild, MAC, some Maybelline). The whole skincare game would really be revolutionized if it were all about effective ingredients instead of all the HYPE that's out there. I've learned to ignore most of the latter. However, some helpful info does point one in the right direction. Actually, having somewhat reactive skin is a blessing in this regard because rarely am I ever tempted to "try out a new skin care line".

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 12:42:33 PM »
Sleek black reminds me of Chanel…I used to be addicted to beautiful containers. I still love the Chanel lipsticks. But coming back the point: pricey skin care. You know, I would not mind paying a little extra if I knew that it was going to make a difference… but in my experience it does not. Recently I have been given some (generous) samples of a very expensive line and you know what? When I use Cetaphil cream at night I wake up looking a lot better than when I use the expensive cream. We have had this discussion again and again, haven’t we? At the end of the day, it is what you like, what you can afford and what you enjoy putting on your face. Personally I do love a facial oil and the best ones don’t ones don’t come cheap. That is something that I treat myself to once or twice a year. They last forever so they are not too expensive in the long term.

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2016, 03:01:05 PM »
@milla: Right on!:) In complete agreement with a lot of expensive skin care(unless it really does have very solid track-record-type of ingredients)is no better than less expensive and often performs WORSE than said cheaper stuff. I had this experience earlier in life. I think this is why one sees that many older women keep it fairly basic with skin care, and maybe one Rx product if they go that route. I mean, we're all gonna age anyway! Yes, the Cetaphil Cream is GREAT - I use it during the day under my sunblock(CeraVe AM SPF 30).

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2016, 10:57:58 PM »
I've been really skipping my skincare routine and been using the Tacha oil instead. So far, my skin feels really nice.  I don't if it's Tatcha oil or will another facial oil - there so many of them now- with a smaller price tag do the same.  I've been spending so much on orchids and nothing on makeup or skincare that it was really nice buying this expensive oil as a treat. I've been using it for nearly a month now and the bottle still looks full. I don't use that much. Two to three drops, I think. 

I also purchased a small bottle of the enzyme but I was using Amorepacific for a while - also another enzyme powder- and it was also expensive.  But, I like the Amorepacific better than Tatcha.  I may go back to Amorepacific since it does last a long time. The 2.5oz usually last me over six months.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2016, 05:32:54 AM »
Well, I'm intrigued by enzyme powder and ordered the travel size of Tatcha to try it. I looked at a couple of other similar products but one's ingredients weren't close enough to the recommended Tatcha and the other was equally expensive. I'll report back when I've had an opportunity to try it!

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2016, 07:50:12 PM »
I do love the enzyme powder. I use my Clarisonic at night with the PTR rose liquid cleanser and I love using the enzyme in the morning. I can't wait to hear your result.  :)

denisiel

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2016, 11:12:58 AM »
Hi SusieQ, Do find the PTR cleanser moisturizing or is it a foamy cleanser?  And where do you buy Amore Pacific enzyme powder?  Thanks!

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2016, 09:38:23 AM »
Hi SusieQ, Do find the PTR cleanser moisturizing or is it a foamy cleanser?  And where do you buy Amore Pacific enzyme powder?  Thanks!
Hi Denisiel,  both on PTR. Sephora carries AmorePacific and it's misleading because it's called Treatment Enzyme Peel. I can't remember the youtuber that got me started on this.  I find that AmorePacific doesn't make my face feel stripped after washing it off. When I use Tatcha's, my face feels squeaky clean...too squeaky clean.

I just ordered one from Sephora since the Tatcha sample size is almost gone.

Angelcat47

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2016, 05:59:56 PM »
BareMinerals makes an affordable  powder cleanser that can also be used as a mask or spot treatment;I've actually bought it several times which is unusual for me unless it's my Skin Actives products.
  • Complexion: Light skintone,oily and somewhat sensitive
  • Hair: Medium brown with blonde highlights

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2016, 02:27:39 PM »
BareMinerals makes an affordable  powder cleanser that can also be used as a mask or spot treatment;I've actually bought it several times which is unusual for me unless it's my Skin Actives products.
Thank you, Angelcat. I will need to check that one out.  :)

Angelcat47

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2016, 06:15:56 PM »
I was just browsing on Amazon and I saw several Japanese Camellia based oil cleansers that were much less expensive,for example:Dr Young's Camellia Deep Cleansing Oil 400 ml for $38.78.It had a 4.6 out of 5 rating. They had a number of enzyme cleansers as well. I'm going to try one soon as I loved the BareMinerals one,but again,these are much less expensive.

Cara, I noticed in my browsings they had an AHA cleanser by Beauty Without Cruelty. It was 8.4 ounces for $9.08. I thought you might want to check it out as I know you use one for light exfoliation.
  • Complexion: Light skintone,oily and somewhat sensitive
  • Hair: Medium brown with blonde highlights

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2016, 06:22:39 PM »
@Angelcat47: Thanks, but I'm very happy with the AHA cleanser I've been using for years, the Aquaglycolic one that is about $17 for 6.4% oz. AquaGlycolic is a small line of AHA products including said cleanser, a face cream, a body lotion, and a body shampoo. I only use the cleanser as leave-on AHAs don't agree with my skin but an AHA cleanser left on for 10 minutes or so like a mask DOES, dispelling the myth that a "cleanser doesn't do anything since it's all washed down the drain." Since I'm on Rx now, I only use this every 10 days to 2 weeks, so I'm only now just getting to the bottom of a bottle that I've had for at least a year. Not taking the chance to switch given my skin's being finicky. Before I was on Rx I was using this every other day so it was being used up faster.