News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Dressing up  (Read 2039 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Dressing up
« on: April 02, 2016, 12:03:50 PM »
My sister in law is getting married next May; she is 64 and her husband-to-be is 70. It is going to be a small wedding in lovely local venue (I will post photos, I promise!). I decided that I will not buy a new outfit for this wedding; I am going to hire a dress and a hat instead! My friend told me about this shop. I have been there today and I had such fun trying on stuff. The woman who owns it is really nice and I have booked an appointment with her; I am going to send her a ‘mood board’ and she is going to find something for me! She has got a lot of vintage dresses and suits. She convinced me to try on different colours, because I tend to go for black or royal blue all the time. I tried on this 50s dress with a little jacket and a little pill box hat. We were both in giggles because I looked like the Queen. What do you think I should go for? Something classic or something totally outrageous?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 04:57:01 AM by milla »

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Re: Dressing up
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 12:25:12 PM »
Going with my first thought here...be yourself, whatever that may be. Just because you usually go with black or royal blue doesn't mean those are the only colors for you. Stretch a bit for sure. But don't go so far that you are self-conscious through the entire wedding. I'll be interested to learn what you choose. :)
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 05:23:23 AM »
I made an appointment  and went back to the shop on Tuesday. Cannot remember the last time I had such fun trying on clothes. These days I don’t even like shopping (honestly!). I never find anything that I really love; it is either the fabric, or the cut, or the finishing… After trying on several silly things (including a flapper dress!) I found a dress that I absolutely luuuurve: It is a very simple, beautifully fitted, teal brocade dress with a boat neck and a low back (not too low). The dress is very long and the lady told me that she had been thinking of having it altered. I decided to buy it. She is going to have it altered to fit me. It will be knee-length; and with the surplus fabric they are going to make me a tiny bolero, just to cover my upper arms. I  have a scar near my arm pit and the bolero will cover that, so I will be able to lift my arm without feeling self-conscious. It is a beautiful dress and I cannot wait to wear it. It is not cheap, but it I would have paid at least twice as much for a similar dress in a department store.  The dress ticks all the boxes: lovely colour, beautiful cut, good quality fabric… She is going to lend me the shoes and a bag for free!!

SusanG

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 12:20:43 PM »
It sounds beautiful, Milla! Of course, we'll be expecting pictures when the time comes!   :flowers2:
  • Complexion: Fair: MAC NC15, Ivory in Dior
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Natural light brown with a little silver, pixie cut

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 06:42:17 AM »
Your dress sounds perfect! You find the most interesting places to shop and, as a result, beautiful garments. Of course you have impeccable taste and know just what works for you. How kind of her to lend the shoes and bag at no charge, too! I agree, we need pictures of your latest discovery.
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 05:20:08 AM »
It is kind of you to say so, Styyna, I am not at all convinced that I have good taste, I am very cautious bordering on boring and I don’t buy clothes very often. I have gone a bit over budget with this, but I am hoping that my granddaughter will want to borrow it when she is older as it is such a timeless design and so well made. Let us hope that the person who is doing the alterations knows what he/she is doing….Below is a link to the shop site. I really like this street, it is still quite authentic, a bit shabby but the indoor market is great. Unlike some neighbourhoods nearby, that have become very gentrified and lost all their vibe. Of course I will post photos!
http://woodstreetindoormarket.co.uk/gigis-dressing-room/

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 06:44:04 AM »
The shop looks like the kind of place one where one could spend hours poking around. I think you have a good feel for where to shop in London. How fun to think about sharing your dress with your granddaughter when she's old enough. I'm really looking forward to the pictures!

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 12:03:10 PM »
At the moment I am trying to justify the cost of the dress... but I have another wedding next year and it is a different crowd, so I can wear the dress again...
As for the shop, it is tiny but the things she has got there! it is a lot more fun than trying on dresses in department stores.
Talking about wearing your grandmother's clothes, I used to love looking in my (paternal) grandmother's wardrobe and trying on some of  my mother's clothes. She once wanted to give me an astrakhan coat and I declined because it was a bit heavy. I wish I had accepted it; it had beautiful buttons. Not sure what happened to it...

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 06:10:38 AM »
Hi Milla. It seems to me that the wedding is/was this month. I'd love to hear about your dress, accessories, makeup, and, of course, the wedding.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2016, 01:55:23 PM »
The wedding was today. It all went very well and the weather stayed sunny, if a bit breezy. It took place in a small venue, a museum in a very pleasant neighbourhood. The museum is quite old and the building has had several uses over the years. Recently they have built a garden room that is perfect for small functions. They are licensed for weddings so we did not have to go to the registry office, the registrar came to the venue. The atmosphere was great, just a gathering of family and friends. The food was provided by a local catering firm; it was a cold buffet. We ordered the drinks from wine merchants. It was quite handy because they provided glasses, ice buckets etc. we hired two waitresses and they were really great, very professional and organised.
We are delighted that my sister-in-law has found someone and I believe they will be happy together. I will never forget her husband, who was like a brother to me, but life must go on…
I have not got all the photos yet, but here’s one that is not bad (even if I say so myself).I will try and post a few more later.
PS. I read my last entry. The astrakhan coat. I was talking to someone the other day and she told me about astrakhan coats...you don't want to know. I am glad I declined the offer. :o

SusanG

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2016, 02:37:34 PM »
The wedding sounds lovely -- and you look fabulous, Milla!    :flowers:   The colour of your dress really suits you. Thanks for sharing with us!
  • Complexion: Fair: MAC NC15, Ivory in Dior
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Natural light brown with a little silver, pixie cut

Angelcat47

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2016, 06:36:22 PM »
Milla, you look gorgeous as does the dress. I'm glad you mentioned their ages; I'm about 10 years younger than your sister but I've been alone too long and was losing hope.
  • Complexion: Light skintone,oily and somewhat sensitive
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Medium brown with blonde highlights

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 01:52:31 AM »
Thank you for the compliments and AngelCat, I hope you find the one! Here’s my- sister- in law, in her wedding outfit designed by yours truly, on her own and talking to my late mother in law's sister-in-law, who is nearly 90.You can see some of the guests in the garden;  I am afraid I haven't got any pictures of the bride and groom exchanging their vows... I was sitting in the front row with my little granddaughter, who was the only child at the wedding. This little one used to be really shy, but she has changed so much after she started attending nursery (ie kindergarten). She was grinning and waving at the audience, and chose a very poignant moment, when the bride broke down in tears, to start making a little speech. Everybody laughed, including the tearful bride! She (the baby!) behaved beautifully all through the day and I was really proud of her.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2016, 08:16:02 AM »
Milla! You competed with the bride in beauty and radiance! I love your whole look, especially your lovely smile. The bride is stunning, too. You are too modest about your sense of style.

How special to have your granddaughter there and you are rightly proud of her. Such a tender age to be so well behaved.

Thanks for sharing with us!

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2016, 12:15:29 PM »
The bride (my sister-in-law) is very pretty and petite and I am so proud that she chose my design for her wedding outfit. However, I am not completely happy with the dressmaker. Being a bit of a perfectionist, and the daughter of a professional seamstress, there are a few things that are not quite up to standard...but I refrained from making a comment because the dressmaker was recommended by a friend of my sister-in-law. I had been thinking of getting her to make me a dress, but now I don't think I will.
I absolutely love the shop where I bought my dress, it is like Aladdin's Cave! the woman who owns it is so creative.
 Do you ever read the blog 'Advanced Style'?
 http://www.advanced.style/
 Well, Gigi recently organized this 'Colour Walk' in London, with a few people that have featured in 'Advanced Style'. Please have a look at this photo, Gigi is  the lady on the left, with the delighted grin!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208824182019158&set=pcb.10208824183459194&type=3&theater
All I can say is that she made me re-assess my relationship with colour. That dress really cheered me up.