News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: RIP Prince  (Read 1288 times)

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
RIP Prince
« on: April 22, 2016, 08:41:12 AM »
Any Prince fans here? We're devastated here in SF! He was just here performing mid-month. Some sensationalist rags are saying drug overdose instead of flu. Won't know until today's scheduled autopsy results are made public. DH and I have been Prince fans since the 80s. Like David Bowie, soundtrack to our life. RIP beautiful Purple One...

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Re: RIP Prince
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 12:25:30 PM »
This has been a terrible year, here in the U.K. we have lost a number of well-loved actors and comedians. I loved Prince, he was so original and outrageous (in the best way)...

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 07:03:04 AM »
He was an amazing performer/artist.  Unfortunately I never got a chance to see him live.  I was very surprised to hear the sad news.  He was only 57, I believe.
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 08:54:29 AM »
Shocking and sad to learn of the loss of such a gifted performer and artist. I happen to obtain most of my news from Minneapolis so have been inundated with the details of his life and his passing. One of the things coming out about him is how generous he was to his community. His religious beliefs prevented him from publicly acknowledging his actions, in keeping with his very private lifestyle. As one law official said, he was not only a beloved celebrity, he was a good neighbor. He will be greatly missed.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 11:02:42 AM »
Usually I don't get much into celebrity stuff, but this one has hit hard, along with David Bowie of course.
@Stynna: I read last night that basically Minnesota feels like it has lost a brother. Peace be with the family and close ones to him too. I think it was fitting that his funeral was kept to a small group of people, as he was a very private man. Believe me, I can totally relate to the aspect of being private! Anyhow, here in SF the tributes both large and small have been ongoing. Yesterday we had our bi-weekly hoop jam and this time at least half of the soundtrack was Prince. If Prince doesn't get people to get up and dance no one will, even after his passing. I told a friend of mine that Prince was DJ-ing our event from the Great Beyond LOL! They won't know the definitive cause of death for another few weeks yet but the initial autopsy results ruled out foul play or suicide. Of course, there are all kinds of speculations around the Internet but the line seems to be about OD-ing on painkillers complicated by maybe an illness that he had. The truth won't be known for awhile yet. In the meantime, lots of us have been consoling ourselves with staying up far too late watching videos, etc. RIP Beautiful Purple One - he is missed by so many.

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 09:01:50 AM »
So glad I went to see "Purple Rain" on the big screen yesterday!:) We were going to watch it here at home, but seeing this again after more than 30 years at the theater is totally worthwhile. With some films, they must be seen on the large screen - this is one of them. It's in limited release in 87 of the AMC theaters around the country, and some independent theaters started with midnight showings. Blown away all over again about just how powerfully talented and magnetic this star was! But the music lives!:) Evidently in his vaults at Paisley Park(his home and recording studio in suburban Minneapolis)there is a huge backlog of unreleased music, as he was always forging ahead. We haven't heard the last of the Purple One - he will be with us from the Great Beyond for a good while yet.:)

Swest

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 11:11:51 AM »
So glad I went to see "Purple Rain" on the big screen yesterday!:) We were going to watch it here at home, but seeing this again after more than 30 years at the theater is totally worthwhile. With some films, they must be seen on the large screen - this is one of them. It's in limited release in 87 of the AMC theaters around the country, and some independent theaters started with midnight showings. Blown away all over again about just how powerfully talented and magnetic this star was! But the music lives!:) Evidently in his vaults at Paisley Park(his home and recording studio in suburban Minneapolis)there is a huge backlog of unreleased music, as he was always forging ahead. We haven't heard the last of the Purple One - he will be with us from the Great Beyond for a good while yet.:)

While not a huge fan, his music was part of the soundtrack of my life in the 80s. Im not one to listen to much gossip, but there is some report online that he seemed to be working on something non stop in his studio prior to his death. Maybe he knew that time was running out. Another thing even the radio stations around here were playing his music even before his passing. Mostly Lets Go Crazy and 1999, Raspberry Beret
  • Complexion: Fair-med NC20, combo
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Dark Reddish Brown

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 03:33:24 PM »
"While not a huge fan, his music was part of the soundtrack of my life in the 80s. Im not one to listen to much gossip, but there is some report online that he seemed to be working on something non stop in his studio prior to his death. Maybe he knew that time was running out. Another thing even the radio stations around here were playing his music even before his passing. Mostly Lets Go Crazy and 1999, Raspberry Beret" - Swest

Interesting, that the music was playing even before his passing. What part of the country are you in, the Bay Area, or elsewhere? I can't remember.:) Anyhow, I read somewhere today that he worked for 154 hours non-stop in his studio. You might have a point there about time running out on something, one way or the other. Either that or he was on something that would keep him going that long without sleep, if you get my drift. What is very perplexing is that there are some people who say he appeared perfectly healthy the very last time they saw him, and others who say he didn't look well. Yet his lawyer also commented that Prince led a very clean lifestyle and that he was so shocked by this sudden death along with so many. The latest is there seems to be no will either.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 03:39:16 PM by cara4art »

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 09:21:30 AM »
I am afraid it is a case of another one who lives an interesting life but feels the need to enhance it with dangerous substances. I´ll never understand why! A great pity.
  • Complexion: NC 15 winter, NC 20 summer. Still oily.
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 10:50:46 AM »
@anne: The association of drugs and musicians is certainly not new - but many sources say that he had a serious painkiller addiction developed from when his hips were bothering him from damage done by jumping around on stage in his early years. He did have double hip-replacement surgery back in 2010, but supposedly he was hooked on the pills already. Another source say that cocaine was in the picture. That's not a huge surprise in the music world. What's really sad is that the latest is that Prince's representatives had sought treatment for him literally the day before he died, and that the doctor's son from the rehab clinic in the Bay Area had flown out to Paisley Park to meet with Prince about setting the plan up and getting him out here. Said doctor's son was one of the people who found him the next morning and had placed the 911 call. A day and a dollar too late!:( Anyhow, even highly-talented and gifted people can lose their way with addictions and this was another case - sad!:( In other news, the rate of overdoses on painkillers, etc. in the US has basically quadrupled since 1980 or so.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 12:58:11 PM »
What a shame. But it seems to be the way a lot of show business people go. Perhaps it is all the pressure of being constantly in the limelight.

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2016, 04:34:49 PM »
While autopsy results are still pending along with investigation still ongoing, it is a fact that many people with chronic pain become DEPENDENT on Rx painkillers, thus becoming addicted. He had sustained injuries to his hips and even knees from doing stuff in his younger years like leaping off stage risers in 4"-heels. Supposedly he had hip replacement surgery in 2010 but I'll bet anything he was on painkillers just to get through performances before then. Plus, he was born epileptic and had to deal with that as a kid.
In the meantime, all kinds of wonderful videos from years past have popped up on YouTube with performances, great interviews, etc. My Pilates instructor who is just as much of a fan as I am, and I have been watching Prince videos almost every evening. Still feelin' it! Again, I don't usually get into celebrity stuff that much but we did lose someone special. Did you know that he contributed a lot to humanitarian and animal rights work behind the scenes? He certainly had the money to do so and it was a wonderful example of giving back. Not to make himself look good as almost no one knew about this until later. Plus he was very investigative into all sorts of topics. Meanwhile, the battle over his estate will go on for some time, as still no will has been found. That's hard to believe, that a man who exerted so much control over his business affairs would not have a will. I'll bet something will still turn up somewhere. I know, all of this is reading like a big mystery story, but in many respects it is, due to it's magnetic and mysterious subject.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 06:25:55 PM by cara4art »

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2016, 01:46:44 AM »
I went out today, taking one of my favourite bus routes (will have to show some pictures in another post) and I noticed an inscription on a wall; someone had stencilled his face and written RIP Prince. I thought of you Cara. I am not keen on graffiti when someone just mindlessly and selfishly vandalises a building but this was street art, which I do love.