News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: What are the most - effective anti-aging methods that you have tried?  (Read 1955 times)

Jennn

• Bronze Member
In my 20s I  never thought about what I`m doing with my body and skin.
I thought I had a lot of time and there is no need to do anything against wrinkles.
But now that it is more than necessary. :o
So I was wondering what are the most - effective methods against wrinkles that you have tried?

milla

• Ageless Beauty
A cup o’ tea. That is the British panacea for all the evils in the world.
Now seriously. We all did silly things ‘back in the days’. I keep telling my nieces, who are in their mid-thirties, early forties to: #1: stop smoking!!!#2 don’t leave the house without sunscreen!!!!#3drink water!!!!!
We all end up with some wrinkles; it is called wear and tear. I guess Botox and fillers are the most  effective treatments but there is a caveat: find a doctor who knows what he/she is doing or be prepared for the consequences. I am not the one to discuss these procedures because I have never had it done, but I believe some ladies have had them and they are pleased with the results.
 What seems to work for me is facial massage with a good facial oil. I try to do it every day, even if it is just 5 minutes; I do, occasionally, receive some very positive comments on my skin (I am 64).

Jennn

• Bronze Member
Yes, maybe Botox and fillers are the most effective, but at this moment I don`t feel ready for it.
Facial massage sounds great, I never thought about it. Maybe i will try it  :wink:

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
     We're ALL going to age - part of it is genetic(take a look at one's older close relatives to get a clue), and a good bit of it is lifestyle, as in healthy diet over a long period of time, solid physical program, stress-reduction, and finding something one loves to do. Keeping one's mind open and curious keeps one younger too.
     However, in the skin care game, with all the "anti-aging" hype out there, there really are only a handful of types of products that actually make a difference, mainly Rx retinoids, Vitamin C, glycolic acid products, and certain skin-lightening products(like Rx hydroquinone for stubborn hyperpigmentation). Biggest bang for the buck is the Rx retinoid. However, if one is not following up with sunblock daily year-round, any solid skin care like this will be useless, and even harmful. With one or two such actives in one's routine, the rest of one's skin care can be bland and neutral. One doesn't have to spend a fortune for that. As far as procedures go, it can be a slippery slope for some people, because once they have one thing done, then something else comes to their attention they're not satisfied with. Plus one has to keep up this considerable expense every few months.
     Hair coloring, and a flattering cut help, skillful makeup, also flattering clothing according to one's general look. And not being afraid to try something new. There's so much advice out there for women to "play it safe" as we age. That's fine, as far as it goes and if that really suits one, but so many times, it just makes women more invisible as we age. We don't need that! A bit of color and flair never hurt anyone!
     All that said, I do do the skin care(Rx retinoid and Vitamin C, sunblock, basic cleanser+moisturizer), hair coloring, healthy lifestyle, and I follow my own drummer when it comes to makeup and clothing. Easy for me to do, as an artist!:)

silverstreak

• Silver Member
I agree with cara4art, Jennn & milla. I have reasonable skin for my age with hardly any wrinkles - good genes. I would never go down the botox route, I hate needles. I have found that after applying my Monsia night repair cream (you use your own moisturizer) and following it with a few drops of vit E oil it keeps my skin really "elastic" and still moist when I wake in the morning. Great for fighting the dreaded wrinkles on the neck. My problem is melanin buildup so I have to make sure I have sufficient intake of Vit A, C, E & K.
  • Complexion: olive
  • Eyes: brown
  • Hair: white & grey, straight but coarse & thick.
silverstreak

milla

• Ageless Beauty
'As far as procedures go, it can be a slippery slope for some people, because once they have one thing done, then something else comes to their attention they're not satisfied with'. Too true!

anne

• Ageless Beauty
I tried fillers, and what a difference they made! I was very pleased. I had them once a year for a couple of years. You'll find pictures in the members only area. However the derm got seriously ill and retired and now I am too scared (and broke) to find another derm. Should any of you ever decide to try fillers, find the BEST doctor there is!
Milla's advice is sound - I can often tell smoker from non-smokers by their skin. I've never smoked a d I think my skin looks ok for my age (51), except when I hace a look with my 10x magnifying ei mirror.
They do say sunscreen is THE way to go. If I could start again I would wear more sunscreen and would never, ever get a sunburn.
I also use a retinoid cream, 0.05 and occasionally 0.1 %. Difficult to say what I would look like if I did 't use it, I guess I'd have to try it on one side of my face only for a year or so, not willing to try that!
  • Complexion: NC 15 winter, NC 20 summer. Still oily.
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.

Jennn

• Bronze Member
I liked so much when i get tan. I guess I have to drop it and I should start wear more sunscreen. I never thought that this is so wrong and bad for the skin. Yesterday, I met a friend who used to visited  2 times per week the  solarium. I was shocked by the appearance of her skin.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Yes, I liked having a tan and giving myself airs and graces (think 'girl from Ipanema!)  in a tiny bikini, but if I could turn back the clock I would have used sunscreen instead of coconut oil, to fry my skin.

anne

• Ageless Beauty
I'd love to get a tan. Sadly, I do not really tan, just burn. I spent my childhood summers outside and goot burned many times. In my teens, I tried to get a tan and, of course, got burned. In my 20's I visited solarium quite some times. Oh the stupidity of me! I guess what saved me is the fact I cannot tolerate the sun or the heat, I have to inside or in the shade very soon. Now I need to keep an eye on my skin as I had to have an actinic keratosis removed already. It would have developed into a form of skin cancer.
Btw if you can, compare the skin on a very old person where it has been protected from the sun and where it has been exposed to the sun. That will really show you what the sun does to us. I saw the back of my grandmother in the hospital before she died. It was so smooth!
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.

Jennn

• Bronze Member
Re: What are the most - effective anti-aging methods that you have tried?
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2016, 07:22:38 AM »
Yes, like i said i saw one frend of mine and her skin was... :-\  However  it's never too late to begin protecting yourself from sun exposure and skin cancer. You can  limiting your time in the sun, especially between the hours of 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., and wearing sunscreen with SPF of 30 or more.
Well the sun have benefits too. The skin uses sunlight to help manufacture vitamin D. So i guess little sun it`s not so bad.

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2016, 10:40:10 AM »
I agree Jennn! I live in Finland, you know, sunshine is soo precious to us, we really want and need to spend some time outside during the summer! BTW to my great joy I found out Neutrogena Dry-Touch is internationally available on iHerb!! The funny thing is, I´ve been a customer for ages, but never realized it. I do not have to use e**y again for this! (if anyone is interested please ask me for a link / discount code there for first-time buyer discount, as I dare not do it on this forum.) I am shopping as we speak!

SilverCrown

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2016, 11:00:08 AM »
Anne, it is perfectly acceptable for established members to mention and even link to places like etsy! The only rules that I attempt to enforce have to do with new members with fewer than 10 posts who include links and I try to discourage self-serving links. If you're ever in doubt, please send me a PM and I'll let you know what's what. You're a sweetheart who goes above and beyond as far as the rules are concerned and I don't want you experiencing any anxiety as a result!
-SilverCrown

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2016, 07:49:11 PM »
I would have to say face mask. I know everyone knows how slow our skin turnover is as we get older  and also any mask that provide moisture to our skin.  With my orchids and succulent plants, I don't as much time as I used to but I still manage to  apply one or two a week at the very least. A good night rest is also a great anti-aging method.  :)
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Jennn

• Bronze Member
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2016, 02:07:37 AM »
Souds great SusanQ. What kind of mask use? Do you make it or you buying it ?
I came across a verry interesting recipes about home made face masks.  :wink:

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2016, 12:17:43 PM »
I like face masks too! especially home made ones.

Angelcat47

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2016, 06:57:47 PM »
I completely agree with the other girls. Sunscreen is the way to go and if I could go back, I would have worn it every day. I also think a retinol or prescription retinoid has lots of sound science behind it. Next would be a good moisturizer. I use Cerave PM. Excellent ingredients for a reasonable price.
  • Complexion: Light skintone,oily and somewhat sensitive
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Medium brown with blonde highlights

denisiel

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2016, 04:36:28 AM »
Topicals:
Vitamin C serum
Tretinoin
Sunscreen
Niacinamide

Devices:
Ultrasound device (Fyola)
Microneedling (Dermaroller)
Red LED light (Baby Quasar MD Plus)
Laser (Illuminage)

Jennn

• Bronze Member
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2016, 07:53:17 AM »
Hey Denisiel :D It looks like you`ve tried a lot of things:D Are you using some of them regularly?

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2016, 12:44:54 PM »
May I ask how do you use Niacinamide ie, which product do you find most effective?

denisiel

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2016, 07:42:56 PM »
Hey Denisiel :D It looks like you`ve tried a lot of things:D Are you using some of them regularly?

Yes, use the topicals daily. 

For the devices I use on a regular basis depending on the device, such as Ultrasound device (Fyola) daily a few minutes to ion cleanse or a deep massage to lift muscles or to penetrate serums;  Microneedling (Dermaroller) once every six weeks to allow collagen to rebuild; Red LED light (Baby Quasar MD Plus) nightly after cleansing while waiting for skin to dry before applying tretinoin; Laser (Illuminage) three months nightly and then three months rest. I also use microcurent (Pico Toner) daily when I have time as it really lifts the face but the effect is cumulative yet temporary, can also use to penetrate products deeper.  The LED and laser dry out my skin so I back off for a few days if my skin feels overly dry.

I am considering to try Fraxel laser soon to see if it works and if I can replace some of my devices (microneedling and the laser) with a yearly Fraxel treatment. 

denisiel

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2016, 07:51:26 PM »
May I ask how do you use Niacinamide ie, which product do you find most effective?

Some Olay products are high in niacinamide and I just started using Nia24, which has a niacin derivative, nicotinamide, but it's too early to make an assessment if it works well.  I also saw that Paula's Choice just released a Niacinamide Booster at a good price so I'll try that next as I think I'll finish the Nia24 in a month. I have brown spots and melasma and only use hydroquinone for 3 months at a time and then alternate with niacinamide and azaleic acid products.

MichelleO

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2016, 04:29:50 AM »
Definitely not smoking!

I used to use tanning beds occasionally in my 20's, and didn't really cleanse my face of make up till the next morning! From my thirties I started looking after my skin and doing the cleanse/tone/moisterise routine, wish I had started earlier buy hey ho. I have had some radio frequency treatments, which I loved, and then I bought a tripollar stop at home device to top that up, obviously you get a lot more from a proper treatment at a clinic but the tripollar has been pretty good in between times. I have also had some laser treatments, again found them to be very good. I had one of those visia face scans prior to the laser treatments, and then six months after, and there was a difference in all areas so it was'nt just my imagination.

On the whole tho I wear factor 30 every day, and factor 50 in summer or on holiday, and use vitamin C serum and retinol cream. At the moment thats working well.

stayingsassy

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2016, 12:20:58 PM »
Hello. At Stayingsassy.com we have been looking at various facial anti-ageing products. Sometimes, the most expensive is not necessarily the best for your skin. If you read the list of chemical ingredients you wonder whether your skin really benefits from all that stuff.
Our research is showing that the use of natural oils are both effective and clean. There are lovely products such as Divine Face Oil by Antipodes - a blend of avocado and rosehip, both of which are antioxidant. But you can also make your own beautiful blends. Try putting a few drops of natural rose (for anti-age) or lavender (for clearing)  oil into 2oz of sweet almond oil and massage a small amount into your face every evening. We are experimenting with various oils. Next week is coconut. We will report back!
Stayingsassy.com is an online magazine for women over 45.