News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: the cost of luxury beauty products  (Read 712 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
the cost of luxury beauty products
« on: July 11, 2016, 03:03:50 AM »
I was re-visiting a blog that I love and have not read for a while and found this article. It is not very recent but I think it is still pertinent.
http://boisdejasmin.com/2012/02/the-price-of-luxury-perfume-1.html
I was shocked when I read about the ‘real’ cost of perfume. When you think about it, it must be the same with facial creams and treatments! Have you got any thoughts on this? I am sure we have discussed this before, e.g. the difference between cheap and expensive beauty products, but I wonder if anyone has anything else to add. How do you choose a quality product? And what can you trust when looking for value for money?

Swest

• Platinum Member
Re: the cost of luxury beauty products
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 09:07:09 AM »
I hardly wear perfume except for a old favorite scented oil. I really do not have the disposable income for it anymore and in my line of work its either not a good idea to wear it or looked down upon. Maybe its now because Im older, but I find myself going w/out makeup because of the heat and frankly sweat profusely not matter what when doing moderate physical work. I have cosmetics such as mineral makeup from 5 years back that seems usable but mostly stick to  BB foundation when I go out in the sun or ss. I got over most high end cosmetics long ago, and hate heavily fragrance m/u anyway. I used to read some basic books on skincare that advised to stick to the basics and to think carefully before throwing money away on expensive creams etc because it was not necessarily better but you were buying into an image of the product. Of course occasionally I would try something sort of high end because I was convinced this was my '' Holy grail' foundation, etc but later found most drugstore products to work just as well. Really no one cares except me, nor can they tell if Im wearing a 20 dollar  lipstick or if my skin is the result of expensive creams or me just trying to stay out of the sun and good diet/nights sleep.
  • Complexion: Fair-med NC20, combo
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Dark Reddish Brown

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 10:24:45 AM »
For basic cleansing and moisturizing, drugstore, or simple-natural work just fine. Bypass ALL the hype when it comes to expensive "miracle creams" - you know, the ones in department stores and certain online stores and save the money for a great sunblock and a Rx retinoid if that suits your skin. Also, keep to great habits over many years, like eating a very healthy diet, plenty of exercise, no smoking or drinking, and don't be out there tanning. Those creams that cost in 3 and 4 digits sound utterly ridiculous! Who even BUYS this stuff?

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 01:26:02 PM »
 The beauty industry makes people believe that they ‘need’ things… Most of the ‘problems’ are purely fictitious and cleverly disguised ploys to make you feel that there is something wrong with you and therefore you need something to put it right. Very often people buy things because they feel fed up with some aspects of their lives and decide that they need a ‘treat’. I remember a co-worker, who was totally absorbed in her career but had very little else in her life apart from her work. On a Thursday night, which is late shopping night here in London, she would tell me at about 6:00pm: ‘I am going home via Selfridges/Space NK; I need a treat.’ She would go to the shops, buy whatever, and then go home and work a few hours and she would be at her desk by 7:00am. It was crazy. I think there was a time when I got into the search for the ‘Holy Grail, but not in a big way. For a start I had two children at home and I could not afford to send them to university if I started spending money on skincare and make-up.
I agree that routines matter more than £££££ creams and by now everybody knows at works and what doesn’t. As for scent, I find it very pleasurable and comforting to wear it, but I am still reeling from reading about the real cost of the scent in the pretty bottle.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 03:31:00 AM »
I don’t often go on MUA these days, but there is a great review (at least, I think so) on a cream that retails at £745; that is a mere $ 978.19 according to my calculations. I predict a stampede to the shops!
https://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=110737/Cellular-Cream-Platinum-Rare/La-Prairie/Treatments-(Face)
I like this review, it certainly exposes the pseudo-science behind all these miracle creams…

Angelcat47

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 07:08:33 PM »
I have a great tip for saving on perfume. On Ebay or Amazon, I buy unopened  bottles marked "tester". I recently bought a bottle on Ebay that retailed for $87 and I got it for $50 plus free shipping. In this case,the only thing missing was a cap. To save $37 I can go without.
  • Complexion: Light skintone,oily and somewhat sensitive
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Medium brown with blonde highlights

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 01:47:46 AM »
That is a good saving tip for perfumistas. No doubt the sellers are still making a big profit  :wink:

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 09:21:36 AM »
@milla: I loved that review - it sums up PRECISELY about all these rip-off creams and all. Might I add that LaPrairie among some other brands, is notorious for over-priced utter garbage. One thing I noticed, even with some department-store type of creams(not even the super-high-priced ones like LaPrairie or LaMer, etc.)is that they don't even moisturize as well as a plain drugstore product like Cetaphil, CeraVe, etc. Luckily I didn't plunk ANY money down on those expensive brands - just sampled when I was younger and simply curious. Both my skin and wallet eternally thank me!:)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 10:33:15 AM »
Great review, isn't it? it sums up all the cr*p that big cosmetic companies throw at the consumer. Spending for the sake of spending is definitely not cool.

silverstreak

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 09:12:35 AM »
What an interesting and eye opening thread. Many years ago I was in Grasse in the lavendar fields and had a very long chat with their chief "nose". Ever since then I have made my own "perfume" by choosing the smell that I like for the month and buying e.g. rose essential oil & adding a little water. Of course it is not as sophisticated as a perfume but I prefer it's lightness to the heavy scents of the expensive perfumes.
  • Complexion: olive
  • Eyes: brown
  • Hair: white & grey, straight but coarse & thick.
silverstreak

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2016, 03:41:29 PM »
What did the 'nose' tell you? I am curious... and please tell us more about your perfumes.