News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Blueberry pie today, and about berries in general  (Read 404 times)

anne

• Ageless Beauty
Blueberry pie today, and about berries in general
« on: July 13, 2016, 01:57:44 PM »
Today, I made a large blueberry pie to be eaten with custard. These are not farmed highbush blueberries but wild blueberries / bilberries. We have lots if woods over here and people pick their own berries. How is it in your countries? There are wild bilberries, strawberries, raspberries, lingonberries and cloudberries, the latter mostly in the North. I find farmed blueberries much milder and lacking in taste compared with bilberries.
They say Finnish berries get their uniquely intense flavour from the long summer days when the sun never goes down.
We usually go to a pick-your-own for strawberries and raspberries and make jam. You just cannot buy anything equal to self-made jam in the shops! When you open the jar it takes you back to a beautiful summer's day and raspberries hanging like jewels in the bushes.
I'm curious, what do you do for berries in your country? Do you pick wild ones or buy farmed ones?
  • Complexion: NC 15 winter, NC 20 summer. Still oily.
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Blueberry pie today, and about berries in general
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 02:21:22 AM »
The only berries we can pick in the forest are blackberries. We also have some in the garden; we like to keep a part of the garden a bit wild, because it attracts birds and butterflies. I don’t bake  pies often because my husband cannot eat pastry. But it is very satisfying, both baking and eating!
I have heard that you can pick all sorts of wonderful  wild berries  in Finland. A while ago I watched a cooking programme called ‘The hairy Bikers tour of Finland’. The Hairy Bikers are two men from Newcastle, who are very entertaining…and their cooking is very good indeed.
As for strawberries, we can go to a pick your own farm; I have never done it. My best memories of blackberry picking are of my children, gloriously dirty and very happy after an afternoon in the forest and making jam that went wrong and could not be removed from the saucepan...