News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: how have your make up choices changed, as you have aged?  (Read 1198 times)

chataround

• Gold Member
how have your make up choices changed, as you have aged?
« on: July 15, 2016, 11:28:40 AM »

I have a "no glitter" policy, LOL. No glittery eye shadow ( I don't mean I just wear matte shadows, which I actually prefer, but I mean not "dripping" with glitter) and lately (56) I have been toning down my lipstick. I always happily wore bright shades of pink, now I think they are a bit much on me.

How about you? 
  • Complexion: very fair, some slight rosacea
  • Eyes: hazel
  • Hair: slightly wavy, shoulder length, soft black
"Taking joy in living is a woman's best cosmetic."
                   - Rosalind Russell

Angelcat47

• Gold Member
Re: how have your make up choices changed, as you have aged?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 03:07:56 PM »
No glitter(I love a soft glow,though), no unnatural colors and nothing that a teenager would wear.
  • Complexion: Light skintone,oily and somewhat sensitive
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Medium brown with blonde highlights

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 03:31:45 PM »
No glitter for me but I don't mind a soft shimmer effect...

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 05:24:58 PM »
Soft shimmer is great - it adds light and life well-placed around the eyes, or elsewhere on face for that matter, depending on one's skin. As far as what's changed with age, I do wear somewhat more makeup than when younger, but at the same time aim for a natural look on skin. A lot of people who shun makeup whatsoever don't realize that makeup has improved a great deal as far as textures, finishes and shades, so there's something for everyone from natural everyday looks to the boldest as one wishes. For a good while I thought I had to tone it down with lipsticks, but in the last few months come back into wearing bolder shades, like straight-up purple, rich burned reds, etc. I don't follow "rules" as such other than common sense as far as what works with my features. Basically, wear whatever makes one look and feel great. That differs for everyone!:)

silverstreak

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 04:14:51 AM »
I tend to spend more time looking after my skin, e.g. finding Monsia skincare a  product that really suits my skin but trying to use natural products such as a scrub, aloe vera gel+rice flour, and now it is summer I make sure I always wear an SPF30 sunscreen on top of my day moisturizer.
  • Complexion: olive
  • Eyes: brown
  • Hair: white & grey, straight but coarse & thick.
silverstreak

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 04:16:34 PM »
In my teens, I thought if say, gray mascara looked fabulous on someone (with loads and loads of extra-long lashes) it would suit me as well. So, went out and bought some instantly. Those times are happily long past! I would say I am pretty sure what my colours are, had absolutely no idea you could gave cool or warm tones earlier! I am still up for experimenting with different shades, financial situation allowing. My basic look is light eyeshadow on lid + under brow, medium in crease, meltproof eye liner on upper eyes.  Brow gel, Talika lash conditioner, curl lashes. If I am really trying to impress, a bit of Cho Bo Yang on my t-zone. Lip gloss, always ! Blush optional even though I know it makes ne look better. Oh and I am not at all willing to be parted with my hard-earned money on a whim, without being very sure I'll get my money's worth! Will read reviews first, always!
  • Complexion: NC 15 winter, NC 20 summer. Still oily.
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.

Swest

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 05:44:23 PM »
Rose shades flatter me more than brownish pinks now. I rarely bother with blush (too clown-y and with hot flashes almost pointless). Shimmer on the esys in very limited amounts. Again very little em mostly liner on top due to sensitive eyes. Under eye concealer is a must and a peach corrector does wonders!
  • Complexion: Fair-med NC20, combo
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Dark Reddish Brown

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 04:02:31 AM »
Anne, you always look so lovely and your make up is so fresh and enhances your features.
I never use under eye concealer (don’t want to draw attention to Those Bags!), but I always use a blusher, despite the occasional hot flush. Blusher is something that in my view has improved over the years: you still have the traditional, powder blusher, but there are creamy and gel formulas, cream-to-powder, you name it. I tend to go for a light rose one because my skin is a lot lighter since I stopped sun-bathing. I would say the same for foundation; the formulations have improved so much, it is much lighter and more comfortable to wear than old-style foundations. I used to have 3 or 4 foundations on the go, but these days I stick to one. I have always like Lancome’s Teint Idole; it ‘agrees’ with my skin. I just use it very sparingly to even out skin tone. I use an eyebrow pencil, currently Kevyn Aucoin’s, which I recommend, and a lip-liner and lipgloss (Clarins) in a very natural rose for every day wear. If I go out I wear lipstick. I have experimented with strong colours, ie reds but I find  that a dusky, mauvy rose is more flattering. No browns  for me: my teeth  are pretty good and and brownish shades are unflattering.

angela001

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 12:27:25 PM »
While I was getting older, I was more commited to some products.. I was often exprerimenting when I was younger, changing the products when I finish with them, buying new brands.. Even though the old one suited me best. Now I know exactly which are my go to products, and buy them regularely.

JenniferJill

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 12:05:28 PM »
Absolutely nothing glittery.  Hardly wear foundation as hard to find ones that don't emphasis wrinkles.  Use moisturizer on face and neck now.  No eyeshadow, makes my eyes look wrinkly.  No powders or powder blush.  Only cream blush now.  Only eyeliner that glides on and stays put.  Using eyebrow pencil now and moisturizing lip balms. 
  • Complexion: Fair, somewhat dry.
  • Hair: Silver/Brunette, Curly/Wavy, Dry
I am 51.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 02:25:15 PM »
Foundation is a tricky one, don't you think? I still wear it but I go for a very light one and I just apply it where I need a bit of coverage.

JenniferJill

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 04:18:38 PM »
Yes, foundation is very tricky with aging skin.  I finally got rid of my Revlon age defying ones that quit working for me.  I ordered some Neutrogena ones and have high hopes for those.
  • Complexion: Fair, somewhat dry.
  • Hair: Silver/Brunette, Curly/Wavy, Dry
I am 51.

Mitsouko

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2017, 07:19:45 AM »
Hello! Just joined!

I have only recently realised that I do not need a full covering foundation (waste of time actually as my eyes water so much!).

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2017, 05:15:49 AM »
Hi Mitsouko! Curious...you say you don't need a full cover foundation. Do you still use something like a tinted moisturizer? Or do you skip foundation altogether? What about concealer? Inquiring minds are always interested in knowing other women's makeup routines! :)
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

Fenice

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2017, 09:44:18 AM »
I've mostly always used neutral colours, so that hasn't changed. And I never cared for glitter (but I do love a satin finish), so no change there, either. I don't use blush anymore (just about every colour looks too bright on me). I think the only change in my makeup routine is that I now colour my brows (Blinc eyebrow mousse in grey/taupe) because of the white hairs. Oh, and I occasionally use a strong red lipstick because I really like how it looks against my pale skin and silver hair.