News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Has anyone tried the culinary argan oil?  (Read 728 times)

Jennn

• Bronze Member
Has anyone tried the culinary argan oil?
« on: July 21, 2016, 01:54:10 AM »
I came across a article about health benefits of using argan oil in the  kitchen.
I was wondering has anyone tried it and what is the taste?  :eek:
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 02:05:05 AM by Jennn »

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Has anyone tried the culinary argan oil?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 08:24:20 AM »
No, I am not convinced of the culinary use of argan oil. I cook mainly with  olive oil, although I also use corn and groundnut oil. Argan oil is very good as a conditioner and a moisturiser but I don't fancy the taste in food and I think it is probably too rich.
 I am still undecided about  palm oil. I would love to try some Brazilian and West African dishes, but palm oil is one of the ingredients and I am not sure about the cholesterol levels. Has anyone tried it?

Jennn

• Bronze Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 02:15:18 AM »
As far as I understood this argan oil , which is for using in the kitchen, it is produced in a different way from the cosmetic one.  I`ve never try to cook with palm oil.  Some time ago I  rеad somewhere that at higher heat becomes toxic, so i guess i will never try it.  :D

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 04:56:13 AM »
Well, I did not know that there was two types of Argan oil. In that case, it is probably OK to cook with it. I often make tagines and one of the recipes I use lists argan oil as one of the ingredients. I have always omitted it because I was not sure if I would like the taste.

Jennn

• Bronze Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 02:27:50 AM »
I didn`t know too. I always think of it as a hair product. There will be some free samples, so i think to try it.
I'm not so sure about what dishes would be appropriately to use with it.  :o

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 06:55:51 AM »
Try it with Tagine, either lamb or chicken. I usually omit the argan oil when I cook tagine, not because I am unadventurous with food, but because I was not aware of culinary argan oil. Here is a link to a recipe, this is quite a reliable site:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/moroccanlambtagine_6696

Jennn

• Bronze Member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 01:46:25 AM »
It`s look tasty. I don`t like lamb , but with chicken i might try. Is this the only recipe that you`ve seen with argan oil?

Here is a link for the site, you can ask for free semples.
http://culinaryarganoil.com/argan-news/natural-products-expo-east/

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 01:46:02 PM »
Thank you. And here is a link to another site.  According to this site, you an use argan oil in salads, which is ideal if you just want to try the taste before cooking with it.
http://arganoildirect.com/culinary-argan-oil-recipes

Jennn

• Bronze Member
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 06:03:53 AM »
Thank`s. There is a lot of recipes to try. Nice!

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 09:54:43 AM »
Wow!  It's a super oil it seems.  I use this for the skin but the benefits for culinary sounds great. Need to buy some. Thanks for the post Jennn!!
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

SarahC

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 01:57:52 PM »
Hi Everyone

There is an essential article about research into using culinary Argan Oil to slow aging of skin in menopause!
The article shows how during a study they possibly discovered the main mechanism behind aging of skin due to menopause. :D
The treatment was based on Argan Oil but as the article tells you it may be possible to get the same natural prevention effects with a few supplements.
Also interesting was the fact that post menopause heart attack risk increases in women  >:(  and culinary Argan Oil is know to benefit heart health. So using Argan oil in post menopause not only seemed to help with skin aging but may well be identifying the reason for incresed heart attack in women.

I'll put a link to that article here ( if we are allowed to put links???) http://arganoildirect.com/post-menopausal-skin-and-the-anti-aging-effects-of-cosmetic-argan-oil-and-culinary-argan-oil
Links to the full study are at the bottom of that article.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 02:05:10 PM »
This is a very interesting post, I learnt something I did not know (there are two types of Argan oil) and it gave me an idea: how about having a Food of the Month post and sharing recipes?  A couple of weeks ago, Anne mentioned blueberries in one of her posts. Perhaps we can start with them? I will start a new topic in Food, as not to detract from the present discussion on Argan oil.

Jennn

• Bronze Member
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 02:00:23 AM »
Milla that`s a great idea.  I`m not a huge fan of blueberries, but I will  check them. 
SaraC that was very useful. It turns out that argan oil is really "liquid gold".

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2016, 02:48:44 AM »
Yes, and it is also quite expensive. the thing is , you don't need a lot in the recipes I have seen. But if you buy a bottle and only use it occasionally, it is not going to be very good value for money.
As for the food of the month, would you like to nominate the next one? I would like to keep the post going and perhaps try certain foods  in a different way.

Jennn

• Bronze Member
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2016, 09:01:30 AM »
Yes, I will agree with you about his value.
Hmm for the nex food of the month I suggest cheese. I love it (not all kinds) and it will be nice to see different recipes with it.  :grin:

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2016, 04:59:37 PM »
That is an idea... What kind of cheese do you like?

Jennn

• Bronze Member
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2016, 02:16:13 AM »
Hmmm I like every kind. Except maybe blue cheese.  It`s not for me :D