News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Things I just don't get  (Read 1426 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Things I just don't get
« on: July 28, 2016, 01:46:45 PM »
 Things I just don’t get
1.   Cricket: It must be interesting (my husband loves it); it must be exciting and fun (they like it in the West Indies and they know how to have a good time). But I just don’t get it.
2.   Computer games, eg the latest craze: Pokemon- whatever-catch them all-blablah.
3.   Gambling in any shape or form: why throw your money down the drain? Why not give it to charity, if you have so much you don’t know what to do with it?
4.   Camping ( as in holidaying under canvas). Alright for one or two nights if you are 20 something; definitely a no-no if you are over 40.
5.   Big, massive barbecue parties  involving loads of people and expensive, fancy equipment. Don’t object to the cooking of fish or meat outdoors in a small terracotta barbeque, for a small number of people.
There are more , but I just cannot think of anything else at the moment…
What  about you?

anne

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Things I just don't get
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 03:47:23 PM »
1. Smoking. It costs a lot of money, you get wrinkles and smell like an ash tray. It can make you seriously ill.
2. People who will rather look at their phones (looking for Pokemons or who knows what) than speak with other people. When I am on break with youngsters they all stare at their phone. It looks weird.
3. High heels. They hurt your feet, you cannot run, you just wait to be able to sit down and / or take them off. Why do men like women to wear them? So they look weak and cannot run away? It makes my inner feminist angry!
4. Making a duck face instead of smiling. A smile makes you look a thousand times more beautiful than a duck face, I tell my young colleagues on Fb. I just don't get it!
5. People who have plastic surgery to look like Barbie / Ken / whoever
6. Plastic surgeons who help them, instead of telling them to go and talk with a therapist. Think about it: there must have been s surgeon who agreed to do more surgery on Michael Jackson!
7. People thinking it is a good look to have fillers on their lips until the said lips look like the inner tubes of your bicycle tires
8. Mascara ads that have pictures of models wearing obvious false lashes
9. Those small patches attached at the neck of any garment that state the size, material And brand. They are hard and itchy, so much so my skin gets red and I get a rash unless I cut it off. Then, I cannot remember the brand or how I should wash the garment.
10. People who put their phones on the table when on fine dinner / occasion AND keep checking their phones. Unless they have kids or a nanny who needs to get hold of them.  Or they are doctors on call. It just makes me think they appreciate FB more than good food or present company

Hmm, ok, so this list may have mutated into a list of things that annoy me.
  • Complexion: NC 15 winter, NC 20 summer. Still oily.
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 03:58:58 PM »
I am with you on everything, especially #1,#2 and #10. I have to stop myself from giving dirty looks to mothers who ignore their children because they are so engrossed in their phones. I have to remind myself that frowning(or indeed making a duck face) is very unattractive!

Angelcat47

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 05:58:48 PM »
People who leave their dogs in the car, thinking cracking the windows is enough.

My DS not responding to a text message.

People bringing small children to adult movies and making it impossible to enjoy the movie.

Doctors who call you by your first name but expect me to call them doctor(I don't!!).

• Complexion: Light skintone,oily and somewhat sensitive
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Medium brown with blonde highlights

jaerae

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 09:32:59 PM »
food prices increasing while amount of contents slightly decreasing

less ingredients in a food more expensive it is

weather reports with low percentage chance of rain it rains while high percentage chance it does not

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 04:36:54 AM »
Angelcat, people who leave their dogs in the car in hot weather conditions should get a prison sentence. As for people bringing children into adult movies, I am amazed: films are rated according to age, surely children are not allowed in adult movies.. are they?
Doctors. Well, I call my GP 'doctor S.' and he calls me 'Mrs P.', but when I was in hospital all the doctors introduced themselves by their first name including the surgeon, so I guess it varies... but I wouldn't like it if I was addressed by my first name and had to addressed them as 'Doctor'.
Jaerae, mounting food prices are a big problem here, too, and it has got worse after Brexit...

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 10:42:22 AM »
All of these - you all couldn't have said it better!

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 06:31:47 PM »
~~ Pedestrians walking down the wrong side of the road!
~~And bicyclists riding on the wrong side of the road as well!
Both very dangerous.  :eek:

(I just realized that my offering is more of an annoyance too, Anne. )
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

jaerae

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 02:00:00 AM »
why my rather unorthodox care of my own health is frowned upon. i am not looking for pity. you cannot get out of me what i do not have. multiple issues outside of my control. why is resting as much as possible or not exerting yourself because you barely eat enough to live frowned upon? i am doing all i can to keep feeling remotely human. now if i could calm my mind some more that might be nice

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 04:36:20 AM »
Jaerae, that is a bit off topic, but that is OK. Perhaps it is something that you would like to talk about in a different board? not putting any pressure but there are all  good listeners here, and we are not judgmental, either. When you are ready.

jaerae

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2016, 04:51:59 AM »
let me see what i meant to say is why must people push thru? why must people use pills for each trouble instead of resting? pollen allergy so stay in. avoidance is free while pills are not

i have seen around me constantly under the weather people from their pushing thru

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2016, 09:26:36 AM »
Great one, milla!  To add to rest of your lists, the things that people post on Craig's List; semi to full nude pictures on the intranet.  When I first got into orchids, I would google orchids youtube and the number of adult postings is mind boggling.  It's really sad to see these as I see it as someone needing attention. And, any attention, positive or negative, I guess is better than nothing.  :cry:
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Hair: Black w/waves

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 05:02:56 PM »
Fortunately I have not come across that one...sounds awful.

Angelcat47

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2016, 03:30:06 PM »
Angelcat, people who leave their dogs in the car in hot weather conditions should get a prison sentence.

I was going to my car after grocery shopping recently and there was a dog in the car next to me. It was a very hot day and the windows were barely cracked. I gave myself 15 minutes; if the owner wasn't back by then, I was going to call the police. She came back and I confronted her but she was quite adamant the dog was fine. I told her if I ever saw it again, I would call the police immediately. There's a new law in the US that a person can't get in trouble or sued for breaking a window if a child or pet is in serious danger and I think that's wonderful.
  • Complexion: Light skintone,oily and somewhat sensitive
  • Hair: Medium brown with blonde highlights

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2016, 09:25:48 AM »
Angelcat, people who leave their dogs in the car in hot weather conditions should get a prison sentence.

I was going to my car after grocery shopping recently and there was a dog in the car next to me. It was a very hot day and the windows were barely cracked. I gave myself 15 minutes; if the owner wasn't back by then, I was going to call the police. She came back and I confronted her but she was quite adamant the dog was fine. I told her if I ever saw it again, I would call the police immediately. There's a new law in the US that a person can't get in trouble or sued for breaking a window if a child or pet is in serious danger and I think that's wonderful.
It amazes me how stupid people are.  I would love to lock her in the car without cracking the windows at all. :(
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Hair: Black w/waves