News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Things I just don't get  (Read 1271 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Things I just don't get
« on: July 28, 2016, 01:46:45 PM »
 Things I just don’t get
1.   Cricket: It must be interesting (my husband loves it); it must be exciting and fun (they like it in the West Indies and they know how to have a good time). But I just don’t get it.
2.   Computer games, eg the latest craze: Pokemon- whatever-catch them all-blablah.
3.   Gambling in any shape or form: why throw your money down the drain? Why not give it to charity, if you have so much you don’t know what to do with it?
4.   Camping ( as in holidaying under canvas). Alright for one or two nights if you are 20 something; definitely a no-no if you are over 40.
5.   Big, massive barbecue parties  involving loads of people and expensive, fancy equipment. Don’t object to the cooking of fish or meat outdoors in a small terracotta barbeque, for a small number of people.
There are more , but I just cannot think of anything else at the moment…
What  about you?

anne

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Things I just don't get
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 03:47:23 PM »
1. Smoking. It costs a lot of money, you get wrinkles and smell like an ash tray. It can make you seriously ill.
2. People who will rather look at their phones (looking for Pokemons or who knows what) than speak with other people. When I am on break with youngsters they all stare at their phone. It looks weird.
3. High heels. They hurt your feet, you cannot run, you just wait to be able to sit down and / or take them off. Why do men like women to wear them? So they look weak and cannot run away? It makes my inner feminist angry!
4. Making a duck face instead of smiling. A smile makes you look a thousand times more beautiful than a duck face, I tell my young colleagues on Fb. I just don't get it!
5. People who have plastic surgery to look like Barbie / Ken / whoever
6. Plastic surgeons who help them, instead of telling them to go and talk with a therapist. Think about it: there must have been s surgeon who agreed to do more surgery on Michael Jackson!
7. People thinking it is a good look to have fillers on their lips until the said lips look like the inner tubes of your bicycle tires
8. Mascara ads that have pictures of models wearing obvious false lashes
9. Those small patches attached at the neck of any garment that state the size, material And brand. They are hard and itchy, so much so my skin gets red and I get a rash unless I cut it off. Then, I cannot remember the brand or how I should wash the garment.
10. People who put their phones on the table when on fine dinner / occasion AND keep checking their phones. Unless they have kids or a nanny who needs to get hold of them.  Or they are doctors on call. It just makes me think they appreciate FB more than good food or present company

Hmm, ok, so this list may have mutated into a list of things that annoy me.
  • Complexion: NC 15 winter, NC 20 summer. Still oily.
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 03:58:58 PM »
I am with you on everything, especially #1,#2 and #10. I have to stop myself from giving dirty looks to mothers who ignore their children because they are so engrossed in their phones. I have to remind myself that frowning(or indeed making a duck face) is very unattractive!

Angelcat47

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 05:58:48 PM »
People who leave their dogs in the car, thinking cracking the windows is enough.

My DS not responding to a text message.

People bringing small children to adult movies and making it impossible to enjoy the movie.

Doctors who call you by your first name but expect me to call them doctor(I don't!!).

• Complexion: Light skintone,oily and somewhat sensitive
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Medium brown with blonde highlights

jaerae

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 09:32:59 PM »
food prices increasing while amount of contents slightly decreasing

less ingredients in a food more expensive it is

weather reports with low percentage chance of rain it rains while high percentage chance it does not

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 04:36:54 AM »
Angelcat, people who leave their dogs in the car in hot weather conditions should get a prison sentence. As for people bringing children into adult movies, I am amazed: films are rated according to age, surely children are not allowed in adult movies.. are they?
Doctors. Well, I call my GP 'doctor S.' and he calls me 'Mrs P.', but when I was in hospital all the doctors introduced themselves by their first name including the surgeon, so I guess it varies... but I wouldn't like it if I was addressed by my first name and had to addressed them as 'Doctor'.
Jaerae, mounting food prices are a big problem here, too, and it has got worse after Brexit...

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 10:42:22 AM »
All of these - you all couldn't have said it better!

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 06:31:47 PM »
~~ Pedestrians walking down the wrong side of the road!
~~And bicyclists riding on the wrong side of the road as well!
Both very dangerous.  :eek:

(I just realized that my offering is more of an annoyance too, Anne. )
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

jaerae

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 02:00:00 AM »
why my rather unorthodox care of my own health is frowned upon. i am not looking for pity. you cannot get out of me what i do not have. multiple issues outside of my control. why is resting as much as possible or not exerting yourself because you barely eat enough to live frowned upon? i am doing all i can to keep feeling remotely human. now if i could calm my mind some more that might be nice

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 04:36:20 AM »
Jaerae, that is a bit off topic, but that is OK. Perhaps it is something that you would like to talk about in a different board? not putting any pressure but there are all  good listeners here, and we are not judgmental, either. When you are ready.

jaerae

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2016, 04:51:59 AM »
let me see what i meant to say is why must people push thru? why must people use pills for each trouble instead of resting? pollen allergy so stay in. avoidance is free while pills are not

i have seen around me constantly under the weather people from their pushing thru

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2016, 09:26:36 AM »
Great one, milla!  To add to rest of your lists, the things that people post on Craig's List; semi to full nude pictures on the intranet.  When I first got into orchids, I would google orchids youtube and the number of adult postings is mind boggling.  It's really sad to see these as I see it as someone needing attention. And, any attention, positive or negative, I guess is better than nothing.  :cry:
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Hair: Black w/waves

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 05:02:56 PM »
Fortunately I have not come across that one...sounds awful.

Angelcat47

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2016, 03:30:06 PM »
Angelcat, people who leave their dogs in the car in hot weather conditions should get a prison sentence.

I was going to my car after grocery shopping recently and there was a dog in the car next to me. It was a very hot day and the windows were barely cracked. I gave myself 15 minutes; if the owner wasn't back by then, I was going to call the police. She came back and I confronted her but she was quite adamant the dog was fine. I told her if I ever saw it again, I would call the police immediately. There's a new law in the US that a person can't get in trouble or sued for breaking a window if a child or pet is in serious danger and I think that's wonderful.
  • Complexion: Light skintone,oily and somewhat sensitive
  • Hair: Medium brown with blonde highlights

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2016, 09:25:48 AM »
Angelcat, people who leave their dogs in the car in hot weather conditions should get a prison sentence.

I was going to my car after grocery shopping recently and there was a dog in the car next to me. It was a very hot day and the windows were barely cracked. I gave myself 15 minutes; if the owner wasn't back by then, I was going to call the police. She came back and I confronted her but she was quite adamant the dog was fine. I told her if I ever saw it again, I would call the police immediately. There's a new law in the US that a person can't get in trouble or sued for breaking a window if a child or pet is in serious danger and I think that's wonderful.
It amazes me how stupid people are.  I would love to lock her in the car without cracking the windows at all. :(
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Hair: Black w/waves

StrongAndTough1214

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2016, 09:46:09 PM »
-Why there are so few sites or boards for people over 40 unless it's dating sites. I want to scream, "hello? People over 40 don't just talk for dating purposes. Sometimes we just talk for the sake of talking!)

-Teens and adults who go out in public in pajama pants or full pajamas. (Seriously?!)

-People who post literally everything about their lives on Facebook. (There's no way that can be a good or safe thing to do.)

-Teen-age or adult males who wear sagging jeans hanging half-way down their rear-ends or even lower.

-People who practically live on their cell phones to the point that they're always missing out on the present moments because they're always talking to or texting someone who is not present with them at the time.

Swest

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2016, 09:15:37 AM »
Some of this is going to just make me sound like an angry old lady but I wish

There were more message boards for women over 40 . This and the section on MUA is the only one left it seems. The rest have disappeared or inactive for years. The rest are dating sites for over 40+ women and men.

A pill for everything. How about educating yourself and eating better, taking time to rest etc. That might solve a lot of problems instead of relying on multiple types of medication(s) that can interact badly with other meds. Most of us know what we have to do but will not do it. Be your own best health advocate.

Corporations treating their employees like disposable trash and then cant figure why they cannot find 'good help' Same with private
employers.

Selfie, Instagram FB PS culture. Bleh! Im done with most reality shows like 'Real Housewives' Screeching harpies fake drama, the whole me me me culture and one of the reason I cut my cable .  I might get a basic antenna for some news and drama shows but that is it.

Heavily drawn on brows. I have only seen this on a few actual younger people while out and about but still looks silly unless you are
on the stage or a performer--- avoid.

People who want pets but will not take responsibility for them. Leave them in the house all day/yard barking whining, disturbing neighbors who work at home, retired or are night shift workers.Its even better when you live in a apartment.  Get a serious pet sitter or better yet dont get a dog until you can adequately give it the attention it needs. Much like a child.

High heels . Wore them briefly  in HS but once past 25 feet changed. Never got the appeal but oh well . If other people want to damage their feet that is their business. Stopped suffering for fashion (footwear wise) years ago.

Lack of quality clothing lately that is affordable.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 09:58:29 AM by Swest »
  • Complexion: Fair-med NC20, combo
  • Hair: Dark Reddish Brown

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2016, 04:00:55 AM »
There was a TV series in the UK a while ago, which was called ‘Grumpy Old Women’; this post is beginning to remind me of the series! Now, don’t get me wrong, the women featured on the programme are actresses, journalists, writers and they are very funny.The last thing I would call them is ‘old’.
One of the programmes in the series focused on Christmas shopping, which is another thing I don’t get: why are shops flooded with Christmas merchandise in the beginning of October? Yesterday I went shopping in a mall (something I try to avoid). The place was full of parents buying shoes, school uniforms and school equipment for their children. Fair enough: the schools re-open on Monday. But the shops where also full of Halloween ‘things’. Halloween is at the end of October, right?
Christmas beats everything else. As I said, from the beginning of October shops are wall-to-wall Christmas decorations, blaring out Mariah Carey on their sound systems By Christmas Eve your brain is  well and truly scrambled and then…you have got to cook The Turkey!
Here a link to the programme and if Christmas leaves you shattered, don’t worry, you are not the re-incarnation of Scrooge: Germaine Greer does not like it either…personally I think Christmas is a feminist issue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqt5XVtJVSc&list=PL25A91D8AD7FE3058

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2016, 08:24:40 AM »
@Swest: I'm with you on all of these! Let's face it, to anyone who still has half a brain left, the culture at large is heading in this direction of utter trash. That's not being an "angry old lady" - it's seeing things for what they are. Thank goodness I don't have to be in the mainstream that much at all! And I totally hear you about the TV - DH and I got RID of ours entirely in 1985 and never looked back. On the occasions that I am exposed to it, like at my gym, I'm usually horrified.:( I sure don't need that in my home, which DH and I have as a haven of peacefulness, color and simplicity.

Swest

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2016, 11:42:11 AM »
I do have Hulu and need to cancel my netflix. I do love that its easier to chose what I actually want to watch. Right now Im revisiting old shows from 20 years back, episodes that I missed. I love that I can pause a program (better than a dvdr, no cut offs) And the commercials are filtered and I have some choice what comes through (HULU).
I slowly started reading again --mostly taking advantage of the libraries in my area. That should save me some money and shelf space.

I hang on to some of my better made stuff. This sounds like hoarding but really just disgusted with the lack of quality and most fashions today I have no interest in wearing. Been through the 80s and no interest in seeing the worst of it on me again. Makes some of the 90s look pretty classy by comparison (with the exception of grunge and those lacy collars on dresses. ).  My last brief shopping trip I walked out of a boutique because everything was either super thin or just ugly prints and stuff that I would wear maybe once-- only because I had an interview coming up.

Regarding bike traffic: When did they if ever changed the way bicyclists riding against facing traffic. I see that where I live now, and back in the stone age I was taught in school to ride WITH the direction of traffic. Did they change the law? Or am I just out of touch.
  • Complexion: Fair-med NC20, combo
  • Hair: Dark Reddish Brown

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2016, 04:34:24 PM »
@Swest: Boy do I agree with you on the clothes - there's utter crap around right now.:( Even more expensive stuff has fallen off in quality(not that I'm in the market for "more expensive" due to being mostly a second-hand shopper. Just as I feared would happen a few years ago, the ugly, poorly made stuff that we speak of is increasingly flooding the second-hand and thrift shops making it that much harder to find truly good stuff that as recently as, say, 6 years ago, I had no trouble finding. Yet young fashion/style bloggers RAVE about all the crap, because they've never known anything else. I don't get that.:) Like you, I'm holding on to more of my old stuff but even with that my wardrobe is a lot smaller than many peoples'. One knows it's gotten pretty bad out there shopping in general when the clothes in one's closet that one thinks have seen better days, look BETTER than anything in the stores. So no, I won't be doing very much shopping at all. That's saying something, for someone who doesn't shop much to begin with. Sitting tight here, which might go on for a long time depending on how long this ugly cycle lasts.
In parting, it's NOT our imagination, via this Washington Post article that garnered more than 2000 comments:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/08/26/why-are-sales-suffering-at-so-many-womens-stores-they-made-bad-clothes/?tid=pm_opinions_pop_b&utm_term=.cd6a773f05cc

jaerae

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2016, 01:23:34 AM »
@ Swest currently back into anime watching mode. recently previously in a Asian drama watching mode (Japanese, Korean and/or Taiwanese). i have a trusted handful of websites where i watch shows. things can be tricky as i do not use flash which a predominance of streaming sites demand. surely i have asked before but no one watches anime or dramas here? for me it is a great way to keep my brain fully active (from reading subtitling).

it was nice the other day to share a treat with neighbor then sit on her front porch and chat (although with my face mask AND cap AND long sleeves AND jeans on). pollen is pure evil, i swear. felt like i had been hit by a truck as i let antihistamine wear off without re-dosing up but felt my body needs a rest here and there. cabin fever is fierce! but allergies are too ha!

noticed while reading my Kpop/dramas friend's twitter she leaves for Japan this weekend. i am not sure on how long she is gone. as it is we have not really chatted few months now. she is a workaholic but knows how to play quite well too (someone i can vicariously live thru :) )

angela001

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2016, 02:03:05 AM »
I just don't get women whose makeup is looking very messy and cakey.. It looks unhygienic and dirty, like you don't even care how your skin looks like, and you don't respect your own skin... I hate when I see that a woman doesn't take care about her looks-  I don't mean everyday full makeup and perfect hair, just 5 minutes to make yourself look nice..