News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Food of the month  (Read 510 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Food of the month
« on: July 28, 2016, 02:09:51 PM »
Anyone interested in a 'Food of the month' post? The idea is, we propose a Food of the month and share ideas on how to use it.
I suggest blueberries because they are in season in the UK, but we can change it. Needless to say the focus is on healthy eating (but naughty treats can also be considered :wink:)

anne

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Food of the month
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 03:21:35 PM »
What a good idea! Yes please! Btw by blueberries do you mean the wild ones that colour your hands blue or the other ones that are white inside?  It is blueberry and raspberry season over here, too! Also currants are ripe, I have five bushes in my tiny yard.
  • Complexion: NC 15 winter, NC 20 summer. Still oily.
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 04:01:43 PM »
Any type of blueberry! I must admit that when I suggested blueberries I was hoping that you would read the post and share your Finnish pancake recipe with us...please?

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 05:16:37 PM »
Milla, I will be more than happy to share my recipe for the easy blueberry pie / cake! I just made one with blackcurrants on Monday. I cherish easy recipes for the lazy, I mean busy woman! Let me get back to you tomorrow as it is so late I'm afraid I might make some ridiculous mistake with the recipe right now!
  • Hair: *Very* fine + wavy. Middle / dark blonde (my natural hair color) with some highlights.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 04:38:23 AM »
Great. We seem to share the same view on cooking. The simpler the better! looking forward to the recipe!

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 03:29:39 PM »
Here is the recipe for the easy pie / cake.

Let us say it is a blueberry pie / cake as it is time for blueberries right now.

ANNEĀ“S BLUEBERRY PIE

Middle of oven, + 200 celsius
You need:
mixing bowl
deep oven pan (mine is metal) deep oven pan, I use a 40 x 35 cm or 15 x 13 3/4 " one
two baking papers, one across the other

one egg
3 dl of castor sugar
3 teaspoonfuls of baking powder
6 dl (wheat) flour
3,5 dl cream + milk, mixed
100 grams of melted butter
about 1 litre of blueberries, some sugar on top. Maybe vanilla sugar, too.

Mix eggs and sugar. Add cream and milk. (I add a 2-dl carton of whipping cream, then pour milk in the carton to get all the  cream out, then add the milk.) Mix baking powder with flour first, then add it to the mixture. Add 100 grams of melted butter last. Pour on baking-powder-covered oven pan. Spread it around until it covers the oven pan. Pour blueberries on top. You may press them down a bit into the mixture. Sprinkle sugar + vanilla sugar on top of blueberries. Bake for appr. half an hour.

This is SO easy to make, and delicious, You can use sliced rhubarbs, or sliced apples & cinnamon, or currants. It great! I recommend sprinkling sugar (and vanilla sugar?) on top, whichever fruit or berry you decide to use. It gives a golden brown colour to the mixture when done.

I just did one with blackcurrants on Monday. It was delicious!

What I love: Just one bowl. Easy. No whisking first this, then that, then carefully folding them together. Fast. Cannot fail!

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 03:48:58 PM »
I really want to make this but I have one query: what do you mean by dl (as in 3dl caster sugar)? is it decilitres? does it mean that you measure the ingredients in a measuring jug, rather than the scales? I hope I am not being too obtuse... please let me know how you do it and I will have a go and post a photo of the results!! thank you xx

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 12:02:17 AM »
Hi, yes, decilitres, measured by a measuring jug!  :) Goof luck, looking forward to hearing how you liked it! Some custard would not go amiss with this pie. 

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 03:26:39 AM »
That is even easier than I though! Yes, I am going to try it this week.

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2016, 04:26:16 AM »
In Finland, we have a saying: "Laziness is the mother of all inventions". I am a believer!  :grin:t

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2016, 10:32:53 AM »
amen to that.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2016, 09:45:13 AM »
Hmmmm.... that looks good, Anne.  I will try it. :)
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 04:57:29 PM »
First I need to get a measuring jug. I look at my measuring jugs today (I have two) and the scale has disappeared completely because I put them  in the dish washing machine. But what an ingenious way of measuring up ingredients for cakes and pastries! why aren't all recipes like that? I think I am going to convert all my favourite cakes recipes  into dls, it will be so much easier.

anne

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 03:18:45 PM »
As I said, laziness....  :grin:
Just made another with mixed currants.

jaerae

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2016, 06:44:55 PM »