News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Hummus recipe  (Read 663 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Hummus recipe
« on: August 08, 2016, 05:30:25 AM »
8oo g canned chickpeas (garbanzos!)
3 garlic cloves, peeled
2 tablespoons tahini*
juice of 2 lemons
2 teaspoons sea salt
extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
pinch of paprika, for serving
Serves 6-8 (if you don’t need a lot half the quantities)
Drain the chickpeas, reserving some of the can juices (about ¼ of a cupful), and rinse. Put the chickpeas into a food processor, add the garlic cloves and tahini, and process for a few minutes. Add the reserved can juices, little by little, followed by half the lemon juice and the sea salt, and process until creamy and smooth. Taste and add more lemon juice, if you like. Scrape the hummus into a dish, drizzle generously with olive oil and sprinkle with paprika.
*Not everybody likes tahini (sesame paste); you can make hummus without it, it will be fine. I like to go easy on the tahini, personally.
There is no doubt that hummus is better if you  cook the chickpeas, rather than use the tinned ones. The above recipe is just a quick version. If you want to cook the chickpeas, you need about …2 cups of chickpeas and you need to soak them in cold water overnight. Then tip the water in which they were soaked, put them in a pan, cover with fresh water to about a couple of inches above the chickpeas and cook them for about one hour.
This website has some useful information about cooking chickpeas:
http://mideastfood.about.com/od/tipsandtechniques/qt/dried_chickpeas.htm
It is not really complicated. I think it is worth it because chickpeas are an excellent source of protein and very versatile.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Hummus recipe
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 09:28:26 AM »
Yum!  I will give this one a try. Thanks, milla!!
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves