News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: pigmentation vs cream blush  (Read 628 times)

Kittenfly

pigmentation vs cream blush
« on: August 14, 2016, 11:32:03 AM »
My two pregnancies have left me with 'lovely' pigmentation marks on my cheeks and cheekbones.  I don't like very heavy foundation, so I try to spot-conceal them, and I sort of manage a half decent job, except that when I then go to try and pat some cream blush I seem to consistently take away the concealer.  I have tried using a bit of setting powder after the concealer, but doesn't really appear to help much.  Am I just being thick, and should I just give up the cream blush, which I much prefer to powder? am I missing any tricks? FYI, the concealers I have been trying to use are: Laura Mercier secret camouflage, vichy dermablend and rms un-cover up concealer.
thanks for any suggestions!

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
Re: pigmentation vs cream blush
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 04:24:41 PM »
If I were you I would get treatment for the pigmentation issues - which, being hormonally-caused with pregnancy - it's melasma.
In the meantime, you might indeed have to give up the cream blush since it's not playing nice with the concealer. Hoping this helps!:) ANY kind of pigmentation issues are challenging as I'm here to tell you with sun spots. However, I'm very happy with my progress since I've been on Rx retinoids and topical Vitamin C.:) Here's the result of a Google search for "treatments for melasma":
https://www.google.com/search?q=treatments+for+melasma&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
To moderators: This link isn't advertising any product in particular - it's just a compilation of information.:)
Hoping this all helps!:)

Kittenfly

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 05:39:09 PM »
Thank you cara4art - and indeed I am going to *try* to treat the issue when I am back from holiday, the problem with melasma is that as you clearly know it is really hard to shift!! but I would still like to use cream blush if possible, esp. since in any case it is unlikely that the spots will be gone completely (and definitely), so if there are any suggestions I'd be delighted to try them.

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 09:02:16 AM »
@kittenfly - I didn't have melasma myself, but sun spots, which didn't show up until I was around 50(19 years ago). Two different things, although both are pigmentation issues are made worse by unprotected sun exposure. Out of the two, from what I hear, melasma is even more challenging. It does take patience, even with Rx. Yes I'm sure that I would have made faster progress if I'd had laser treatments but I wasn't in the market, so Rx topicals it is. Nonetheless, my skin has definitely improved over the last nearly year and a half - even my husband notices and usually he thinks skin care is BS. Again, don't waste your money on over-the-counter "skin brighteners" they're really only for people who have very light, very early discolorations. And DO wear that sunblock no matter what the weather every day, as any treatment will be utterly useless unless you do that. But sunblock is not the only protective measure - a hat, clothing, and staying out of the sun during peak hours is important too.

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 04:07:12 PM »
This might sound strange, but have you tried applying your blush first? Then see where you need the concealer. 
My favorite blushes are Creme or Gel; especially the type sold as "stain" gel.  I've used them underneath tinted moisturizers, but I don't know how well it would work with your concealers.
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

denisiel

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 04:31:34 AM »
Let the concealer set for a couple of minutes.  Take a dab of the cream blush and rub it between your fingers to warm it up and make it easier to spread.  Then pat it on with your fingers, do not rub or wipe on.  Build up the color by repeating the previous application method.  Then if need to blend the edges, lightly dab with a damp beauty blender sponge that has a small amount of foundation or concealer on it so that the blush blends into the concealer.  I have melasma on my cheeks, temples and upper lip and this stippling and patting application works best for me.  Sometimes I will set the cream blush with a powder blush or highlighter on tops of the cheeks to make the blush/concealer last longer.

megandunn

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 04:14:43 AM »
I completely agree with the above suggestion. Using the beauty blender can help you get the desired look. A friend of mine was facing pigmentation problem for years with her beautician recommendation she opted for sili sponge tool and found a huge difference in her look when used the tool for makeup. I hope this works for you.

Amelia Brown

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 01:05:23 PM »
I also have pigmentation on my nose and temples after pregnancy. It's hereditary in my family, my mother has the same problem. So, I found useful information here. Hope it will help us. Thank you all!