News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Are over 60s ignored by sales assistants?  (Read 633 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Are over 60s ignored by sales assistants?
« on: August 22, 2016, 01:03:04 PM »
I’ve just heard an interview on the radio. This lady, 62 years old, smart, well-dressed and interested in make-up and beauty, found herself ignored by beauty sales assistants in several department stores. So she contacted the customer service of these stores and got apologies from all of them. But the point is: why was she ignored in the first place? People are living longer, we are enjoying better health and 60 today does not look like 60 some thirty years ago. 60-somethings are just as interested in make-up as younger women.
This made me think: have I ever been ignored?  There was once a very silly girl who just pretended I was not there, but her supervisor noticed it and immediately stepped in. She was not a lot older than the other, but she was obviously a lot better at her job. She probably ‘had words’ with her co-worker after that! Would like to know if anyone has had similar experiences… and how you have dealt with it.

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Are over 60s ignored by sales assistants?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 08:39:36 AM »
Although I haven't had as much as some people of this kind of experience, it really is very prevalent in the US. You see, the prevailing thing in our culture is that older people do become rather invisible. For women, doubly-so, but men aren't immune either. Ageism, subtle and not so subtle, is really out there.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 02:45:15 PM »
I actually don't mind if they ignore me.  For the most part, when I go to a store, I kinda already know what I want.  But, I can't really recall  a time when I was being ignored.  But, I was probably trying to ignore them and didn't notice I was being ignored. :lol:
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 10:34:39 AM »
Sometimes I think it is individuals rather than a general culture if you know what I mean…

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 10:07:25 AM »
@milla: yes it CAN be individuals like you say, but here in the US it's extremely age-ist on lots of levels, depending on what part of the country one is in too. Right down to employment discrimination too. For example, here in San Francisco, since the tech industry has exploded here, one is "old" at 35. Since I've been out of the employment rat race for a long time now and also being an artist lifelong, thank goodness I don't have to put up with that.