News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Happy 1st Day of Fall!!  (Read 897 times)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
Happy 1st Day of Fall!!
« on: September 22, 2016, 03:17:31 PM »
 :welcomepicture: FALL!  Around this time, I would be jumping for joy as the holidays and the colder days are peaking around the corner.  :heartthrob:

Alas, as an orchid grower, I am sadden and have to start thinking about wintering my beautiful plants. But, I am also looking forward to the holidays and the fall shows! 

What are you looking forward now that fall is here? :dance:
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

jaerae

Re: Happy 1st Day of Fall!!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 05:57:11 PM »
for me i would say:
my hot cocoa made with coconut (with vanilla) milk
lessening pollen counts where i no longer will be in a haze ... whenever that happens
perhaps my ankles will stop swelling up?
less humidity plus mild temperatures. 50f (10c) is perfect fall?
hooded sweaters or sweat jackets are just right {oh English gal, what is correct term? jumper = knitwear and/or sweatshirt fabric?}
leaves changing
seeing neighbors walking their dogs in coats

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 10:30:21 AM »
I am looking forward to
a lovely walk in  the forest (but I will have to wait for October to see it in its full glory…it is beautiful!).
going to Borough Market in London,  buying and cooking  the first pheasant of the season.
picking blackberries!
beautiful sunsets.
I love Autumn…I mean, Fall.

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 10:28:46 AM »
Our fall here in the Bay Area is usually warm. It's kind of a disconnect seeing fall clothes in the stores, and not being able to wear them until November. September and October are our warmest months of the year. It's supposed to get to 80s, possibly even 90 even right near the beach, hotter inland. Last year at nearly this time we went out to Santa Fe and the aspens were in their full golden glory - beautiful. It was my first trip back there in 9 years. But later this fall, if the rains do come(we've been in drought for some time now), I'm looking forward to late fall rains and cooler weather. I'm a cool-temperate weather lover - I was never a big summer person unless I could jump into the ocean. Just being in a hot city doesn't cut it.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 07:57:46 AM »
Fall has always been my favorite season. As a child fall brought a new, blank slate as far as school was concerned and I have always loved the sights, sounds, and feel of fall. I was afraid that depression was going to steal away my fall this year so now that I've recovered in the past week or so I'm delighted to be well just in time to enjoy peak leaf colors and the first freeze (last night). Our dog, a Norwegian buhund with a heavy coat of fur even in the warm months, is just loving the cool weather. She will be 14 years old in November but cooler temps have her running and prancing like a puppy.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 10:41:31 PM »
She will be 14 years old in November but cooler temps have her running and prancing like a puppy.
:dog: :woohoo2:
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 01:17:56 PM »
I took our dog to the new vet for a meet and greet meeting - no shots or icky stuff allowed. Good thing I took her because we learned she has a broken molar that needs to be removed. It broke at least a couple of months ago since there is already some tartar buildup on it but she's still at risk of infection and access as a result of the break which is just above the gum line. DH is terrified at the prospect of her needing surgery at her age. I'm more concerned that she might have pain we were unaware of and that she could become very ill if we don't have it taken care of.
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2016, 02:52:34 PM »
We're starting to get some early rains here, although nothing like the storms that are hitting coastal OR and WA this weekend. We really only have a couple more weeks or so of mild fall weather before it cools down(even here in SF). As I said earlier in this thread we usually have our warmest time of the year in September and October. This year, aside from a couple of warm spells it hasn't been so much. We also had the foggiest summer in many years, more like it used to be here in SF. Aside from this past summer, the last few summers have been clearer, warmer and sunnier than is usual. A true San Franciscan(whether native or moved here)usually loves the fog - I know I do! I've always loved fall even when I was a kid growing up in the Northeast - I would welcome cooler drier weather after hot sticky summers. Fall is my "new year" - it seems like it heralds new beginnings, stuff to look forward to, etc. Plus I like fall clothes and colors WAY better than summer clothes and colors. That was true even as a kid. Pastel colors were and still AREN'T my thing.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2016, 06:04:28 PM »
I'm no expert on color (as far from it as one can get) but even I can tell from looking at your pics that fall colors are you, cara4art! I love fall palettes, truly love them, even though they don't work well for me personally. Even though they aren't my colors, I have found myself decorating my new home with them and for the first time ever I have received compliments about my color choices. I envy your ability to wear those colors, in the nicest way possible of course. :)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2016, 04:33:14 AM »
I love Autumn, the smell of wood fires and the beautiful sunsets, but at the moment the weather is a bit gloomy and drizzly here. Looking forward to some walks in the forest and seeing the trees covered in gold leaves, but if it starts raining the leaves will just fall and there will be nothing to see.
Like Cara, I am not fond of pastels, they make me look wishy-washy. I like neutrals in the house, with some splashes of colour. To wear, it has got to be striking colours. I am definitely a Winter. Whereas Cara is probably a Warm Autumn?
How exciting to have a new home to decorate!

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2016, 11:30:04 AM »
I think I'm a Dark Autumn, because my hair before it started getting grey in it was the last shade of brown before hitting a true black. When the just the 4-season way of color classification came out, I was often miscast as a "Winter" as a result. Some of the Winter colors do work on me, but the makeup colors definitely did not. At the time, I chalked it up to simply aging(I was around 40 at the time), until a visiting makeup artist steered me in the right direction. She was the one who suggested that I would do well adding red tones to my hair. What a difference all that made - everything came to life. Rich colors in general are it for me. And because of being on the darker side of Autumn, I do look really good in black. I know - older women are often admonished not to wear black but phooey on that, especially if it looks good on them. As far as colors around me, ideally I'd like all the colors that I wear. Since we're in a rental however, there's only so much we can do. Otherwise I'd have that bright gold or bright coral-colored wall! But we do have a bunch of pretty colors and interesting textures around anyway, in our simple apartment. Because of fall being a favorite season, this is one big reason I love living in a cool-temperate climate like coastal northern California and points further north. Some people LIVE for hot weather(my Pilates teacher for one), but I've never been one of them.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2016, 11:59:41 AM »
I'd never heard of a Dark Autumn before but it makes sense the way you explain it. I agree that red in your hair is sublimely perfect for you and brings you alive. I can't imagine you with any other color!

And, Milla, I agree that you look best in vibrant colors. They bring you to life in the same way that Cara's hair does for her.

Earlier this year or last year we speculated about my colors and it seems that I might be some sort of summer. I even have a link bookmarked with suggested colors. While I'm not big into most pastels, I do wear some in warm months. At the same time red works well for me and so does black as long as it's not unrelieved. One of my new garments is a black and charcoal woolen wrap and it works as long as I have a color under it - blue works well.

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2016, 01:16:49 PM »
@Styyna: Check out !2Blueprints online - it goes into great detail about the 16 different seasonal variations. The old 4-season thing, while a start, is often too limiting and people, especially who are kinda in between, get misread. Not with 12Blueprints. There are many helpful articles and photos over there. No, I don't work for them - just passing along a helpful resource. Enjoy those new clothes - they sound like they will suit you in more ways than one.:)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2016, 02:05:49 PM »
Thanks, Cara, for the 12Blueprint recommendation. It looks like there is a lot to digest there!