News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Planting Seeds  (Read 1115 times)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
Planting Seeds
« on: September 27, 2016, 11:13:30 AM »
As I care and wait for my orchids to blooms, I've started getting into planting seeds. I've only planted succulents seeds but hope to branch into more this spring.

What have you planted from seeds?
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Planting Seeds
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 01:53:51 PM »
I have got a tiny lemon tree in a pot that I grew from a single pip. At first it grew very well and it was my pride and joy, but it got a bit sickly and I don’t know how to treat it. It has white, sticky sap all over. It is still trying to grow, brave little thing. SusieQ, do you know anything about lemon trees?

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 07:51:37 AM »
SusieQ - I've been thinking about you and your orchids! I was wondering if they have a dormant season but since you are waiting for blossoms I'm going to guess not.

Do you have an update on your seedlings?

Milla - How is your lemon tree? Did you determine what is causing it to leak sap? I hope it recovers and resumes healthy growth!
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 10:33:00 PM »
I have got a tiny lemon tree in a pot that I grew from a single pip. At first it grew very well and it was my pride and joy, but it got a bit sickly and I don’t know how to treat it. It has white, sticky sap all over. It is still trying to grow, brave little thing. SusieQ, do you know anything about lemon trees?
Hi Milla, work have kept me busy for a bit.  Today was raining and don't ask but I thought about me being MIA here for a while. No, I don't know anything about lemon trees. Ours seems to be doing well.   It's funny but in the orchids world, we like the sticky sap, in some cases.  I hope your lemon tree is doing good!

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 10:40:13 PM »
SusieQ - I've been thinking about you and your orchids! I was wondering if they have a dormant season but since you are waiting for blossoms I'm going to guess not.

Do you have an update on your seedlings?

Milla - How is your lemon tree? Did you determine what is causing it to leak sap? I hope it recovers and resumes healthy growth!
Hi Styyna!  Some of my orchids do have a dormant period - depending on the genera. I have about four generas that will need rest during the winter in order for them to bloom next year.  My seedlings are all doing great!  I planted another succulent that gave me seeds and they are growing! I'll take pictures during the day and post new pictures of them.  I also have a mexican butterworth which is a  carnivorous plant that is taking over my grow space.  I started with two mature plants and I have dozens of them.  The good thing about these carnivorous plants is you need them if you grow orchids because they eat the gnats that are  everywhere. Of course, now that I have so many, there is no more gnats problem! YAY!

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 06:54:11 AM »
I will have to take a photo of my little lemon tree.
As for orchids, I have never been lucky with them. They seem very promising for a while, then they go to sleep and never flower again...

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 01:49:54 PM »
SusieQ, you are always full of surprises! I didn't know there was a carnivorous plant that could make a serious dent like yours do.

I haven't persuaded DH to consider growing orchids yet but we're still getting settled in. I seem to be making frequent trips to the cities just north of us and there is, according to DH, a fabulous orchid shop in one of those cities. I am considering visiting that shop and, with their guidance, purchasing a couple of orchids and the necessary supplies as a surprise for him.
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 03:22:13 PM »
SusieQ, you are always full of surprises! I didn't know there was a carnivorous plant that could make a serious dent like yours do.

I haven't persuaded DH to consider growing orchids yet but we're still getting settled in. I seem to be making frequent trips to the cities just north of us and there is, according to DH, a fabulous orchid shop in one of those cities. I am considering visiting that shop and, with their guidance, purchasing a couple of orchids and the necessary supplies as a surprise for him.
That would be such a great surprise but be careful about what they sell you. Maybe you can send me pictures and look at the prices, too. They tend to jack up the price when the plant is in bloom.  You may be better off buying something online.

Let me know if you need help or recommendation. :lol:

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 04:27:20 PM »
My little lemon is still going on and I have planted some bulbs, mainly daffodils and tulips.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2016, 06:21:57 AM »
Susie - good advice and thanks for the offer! Unfortunately, my idea might not work. We have a lot of storage boxes that he wants to move from the upstairs garage to the downstairs garage (our house was built with lots of storage space!). I have worked hard to preserve the downstairs garage as a space for him to do whatever he wants, including growing orchids. His plan, when we've idly talked about it, was to use grow lights like he did before so that space would be perfect. No worries about a little spillage on the floor - it can just be swept away or hosed down the drain. He's hiring someone to move the storage boxes so I plan to supervise to be sure that they use as little of the space as possible. I'll keep you posted!

Milla - sounds like your lemon plant might be OK and I'm envious of your bulb planting. I'm not a gardener or I'd have lots of tulips and iris. Your tulips and daffodils sound pretty!

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 10:00:11 PM »
Susie - good advice and thanks for the offer! Unfortunately, my idea might not work. We have a lot of storage boxes that he wants to move from the upstairs garage to the downstairs garage (our house was built with lots of storage space!). I have worked hard to preserve the downstairs garage as a space for him to do whatever he wants, including growing orchids. His plan, when we've idly talked about it, was to use grow lights like he did before so that space would be perfect. No worries about a little spillage on the floor - it can just be swept away or hosed down the drain. He's hiring someone to move the storage boxes so I plan to supervise to be sure that they use as little of the space as possible. I'll keep you posted!

I have grow lights in my living room and the orchids do really well. If he gets back into orchids, you may not too many space after a year or two. Orchid growing is quite addicting! I just got a greenhouse for my orchids.  :grin:

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2016, 05:57:03 AM »
A greenhouse! Do tell! Spill all the details please. You are really growing your "operation" and soon I will be ordering from you and saying "I knew her when she just started out!"

We have an appointment tomorrow to have the boxes moved from one garage space to the other and I will be on hand to supervise and ensure they use space economically. Our weather has been gorgeous for November and is predicted to continue for another week. I'm hoping to squeeze in a trip up to the orchid store during that time. Santa might arrive early in our household!

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 03:23:01 PM »
A greenhouse! Do tell! Spill all the details please. You are really growing your "operation" and soon I will be ordering from you and saying "I knew her when she just started out!"
LOL!  I'll make sure plants are at very, very, very discounted price.  :lol:  Shameless plug on my youtube channel. I am in the middle of editing the greenhouse video. Once I'm done, I'll post the link here. Shameless!!

We have an appointment tomorrow to have the boxes moved from one garage space to the other and I will be on hand to supervise and ensure they use space economically. Our weather has been gorgeous for November and is predicted to continue for another week. I'm hoping to squeeze in a trip up to the orchid store during that time. Santa might arrive early in our household!
OH, I hope Santa brings some orchids !!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 11:05:50 AM »
SusieQ, I have to tell you...my DH is finally becoming interested in orchids again!

It started at Christmas when, instead of orchids, I got him a hydroponic growing farm to grow herbs for use in our kitchen. He wasn't all that interested at first but set it up anyway and then, once the plants started coming in his interest was captured.

Then my son and DIL came for dinner and brought me a beautiful bouquet of white tulips which got my DH to thinking about why he never brought me flowers. The next time he was at the grocery store he came home with a pretty bouquet AND an orchid!

Now he's all excited about starting to grow orchids. He's even discovered that, if a lift system is in place to pull the roots out of the water, they can be grown hydroponically. I personally would like to see some around the house, too, so will encourage regular growth as well.

Our next step is a trip to the Twin Cities to an orchid nursery to select orchids and supplies. Well, that's our second step. First he has to do his research about lighting and growing media and so on. His birthday is in March so I told him the trip to the nursery would be his birthday present.

I'm so excited to see him grab onto something that interests him again! He's been a bit of a lost soul since we moved and with his moderate to severe chronic pain he's been a bit depressed. This is something he can do in spite of his pain. And I owe it to you for bringing it up in the first place and planting the idea in my head. I went and planted it in his head and it's germinating!

Now, I'm off to watch your videos. I've fallen behind. Thanks, SusieQ.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2017, 01:11:21 PM »
Update on my little lemon tree: it looked so sickly that I decided to prune it. Hope I have done the right thing. We'll see...
We have got a single orchid; it is my husband's 'pet'. He enjoys looking after it and it seems do be doing well, it has a couple of interesting new buds and the roots look quite healthy.
We also have an amaryllis, which was a gift from a very kind neighbour. It is doing well, but it will take quite a few weeks to flower. They are quite spectacular! I must say that I have mixed feelings about these flowers; they can look stunning but they also remind me of the 'Little Shop of Horrors' :lol:
Your poor DH, Styyna. I can sympathise, as my dear old man's hip has been  playing him up this winter. To make matters worse, he broke a tooth eating a biscuit and had to have an emergency dental appointment. The tooth could not be saved and he had it out yesterday. To make matters worse the weather is really miserable.I have not been in the garden for weeks.