News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Planting Seeds  (Read 1291 times)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Re: Planting Seeds
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2017, 04:28:28 PM »
How is the lemon tree faring now? Did its grooming help it out?

I'm so sorry to hear about your DH's hip and tooth. I'm sorry he lost a tooth but at least that shouldn't cause him any more trouble. The hip sounds like a chronic problem. Is replacement a potential solution for him?

DH continues to have issues arise, pushing his pain to the back burner. He's undergoing tests of his heart this coming week. I'm glad about that though because I've been worried about his heart for some time. He has COPD and sleep apnea and his father died suddenly of a heart attack at the age of 76. I think DH's father didn't have the other problems that DH has so even though DH is only 67 I worry.

Back on topic, his orchid, now named Maggie, is doing very well. Her blossoms just keep opening up and she seems to love the north-facing window we put her in. She gets bright but not direct sunlight there. I can't wait until he gets more!
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2017, 12:36:26 PM »
The lemon tree is still there, it remains to be seen whether my drastic treatment has worked! The orchid looks quite promising, and we have got snowdrops in our garden! I love it when they come out.
Hope your DH is feeling better. My old chap is still complaining about his swollen gum...but it was a difficult extraction and it took about 10 minutes! :eek:

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2017, 09:45:09 AM »
Hi Styyna!!  I am so glad to hear about your DH! I've been so busy at work and trying to keep up with my youtube channel and make sure none of my orchids suffer that I've not been here in a while.  I've lost one orchid but that's not bad during my busy months at work.

It's a new world of orchid outside there since the last time he grew them...tell him that people grow orchids in water!  That's been the latest shocker in my orchid life and been trying it myself. Now, you tell him that you can go on vacation and place your orchids in water and not worry at all!

Let me know how it's going with his rediscovering orchids again.  I have mine all over the place!  We have one month left of this crazy work schedule and I can enjoy the spring and summer!  :grin:
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2017, 11:02:00 AM »
SusieQ, I still haven't found time to keep up with your videos. I'm subscribed and you have been busy posting videos! One of these days I'll have a lazy afternoon when I can just focus on them.

DH names his orchids so we have Maggie and Ivory, both phalaenopsis (not sure of the plural for that) and they are doing great. This is his birthday weekend but we have house guests coming so next weekend is when we'll go to the orchid store that's a couple hours away and he'll pick out some more.

His hydroponic herb gardens (he's added to them) are putting out more herbs than we can use so he harvests them and shares them with friends. The one herb that we could use more of is basil so I think we might plant some outside this spring so that we can make pesto. That requires lots of basil leaves.

I'm sorry you lost one of your orchids but I suppose sometimes that happens. When DH grew them before he lost all of them to a virus, slowly and painfully. This time we will have them all over the house and not all concentrated in one room like he had before.
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2017, 09:36:19 AM »
Hi Styyna! I appreciate you subscribing to my channel!!  I love the your DH names his orchids!! What I've done is when I buy a new orchid, it's place in a separate area - TLC room - from the main group for about a month and I also water it separately.  I tend to check the newcomer more and see if there are any changes. If its in bloom, I leave it alone until the blooms dies and repot immediately and spray the entire plant with benzoyl peroxide but I do this early in the morning so that the orchid has some time to completely dry out because there is nothing that can kill an orchid faster than water in its crown.

I can't wait to hear what he has purchased.  I would love to try growing basil and our plant group in the office will be doing that after our busy season is over - next week! 

You should post pictures of his orchids. I would love to see them.  :)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2017, 09:08:01 PM »
SusieQ, our shopping trip this coming weekend is in jeopardy. DH and I have been working on our taxes and he's feeling like we spend too much. We don't but he doesn't see the day to day bills so when he sees the summary numbers he's always in shock. Happens every year at this time. I'll have to jolly him out of his state of mind and then he'll be ready to get more orchids.

About a week ago he brought home a new phalaenopsis and we named her Sissy because she's a sister to the other two. I'll try to catch a good picture of the three when the light is right.

Why do you repot immediately after the bloom dies? Is that just for new plants? And what's the purpose (and mixture) of benzoyl peroxide spray? And did I get that right - it's benzoyl peroxide and not hydrogen peroxide? I see I still have much to learn!

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2017, 02:32:43 PM »
LOL!  You are right, it's hydrogen peroxide.  :lol: I love the name of the new orchid!  Sometimes, when an orchid is in bloom and you take it home, it is going into a different growing environment and that alone can shock the plant and may cause the blooms to die prematurely.  If you allow it to acclimate to its new home and don't disturbs is pot, the better the changes that you will enjoy its blooms longer.

I always repot when I buy an orchid not in bloom.  Usually, these orchids are mass produced in huge greenhouse and can't tell what may be lurking in the pot/media. By repotting, I can check the roots and cut off any dead ones - spray with hydrogen peroxide  :grin: - and repot in a clean pot. But, that orchid will still be in the TLC unit until I'm sure there is no pest or anything wrong with the orchid before it is released in the general population.  :lol:

I've found slugs and snails in orchid pot/media and don't want those running around in my grow area. :) And, any other pests that see my orchids as a cornucopia of food.  :lol:

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2017, 08:44:03 AM »
When you repot do you go up a size in pot or retain the same size? It's my understanding that orchids like to be root bound.

When you buy more than one orchid at a time (but from the same place) do you isolate each of them or do you put them together in the same room? I ask because we've yet to get to the orchid store but when we do I anticipate we will come home with more than one new plant.

And about spraying with hydrogen peroxide - do you dilute it with water? if so, what ratio do you use? And then do you spray the entire non-blooming plant - roots, leaves, and all? How wet do you get it?

Finally, while I love probing your mind for answers to my questions, do you have any good resources - online or books - to recommend? DH has been very appreciative of the tips you've offered so far and I'm sure I'll still have questions but we really should be doing our own research, too. :)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2017, 10:27:00 AM »
Please don't hesitate to ask me questions!  I love to help  as much as I can.  :)  Usually, when I buy new orchid, I keep it in the same pot size if possible unless there lots of growth and the orchid is practically growing out of its pot and then I do size up.  My main concern about repotting is that I want to make sure that there is nothing in the media that can eat new baby roots - tiny snails are often too small to see and they love those baby roots.  Orchids do love to be root bound if they are mounted. In a pot in bark or sphagnum moss that can breakdown in a year or two, you have to repot because the old media can cause root rot and harbor unforeseen pests.  I usually smell the pot and see if it smells bad and that's when I repot.  :grin:

If I purchased them from the same vendor, I do keep them together but I am rather anal about it and do check everything leaf and as much as I can see inside the pot with a magnifying glass.   :eek:

I use the hydrogen peroxide straight up. There is a hydrogen in a spray bottle I found at WalMart and I just keep filling it up.  My main concern are the roots.  But, when I repot, I usually wash the entire plant because it can't be helped when I gently clean the roots before I spray them with the hydrogen.  It won't hurt the plant.  As long as  you remember to do this early in the morning so that the plant dries out before night, it will be fine. I usually keep the orchid outside to dry and if not possible, I place the orchid in front of a fan.

I've purchased many books and look at them from time to time.  The American Orchid Society: http://www.aos.org/It cost me $65 a year to be a member. You get online information, webinars, magazines and more. Joining a local orchid society is great, too. I haven't joined one because I really don't have the time since I may have to volunteer some of my time.  Online youtubers. I started my youtube channel about two years ago and there were not many orchid youtube channel then but now, omg. But, you have to take everything you watch, like things you read, with a grain of salt.  Also, your orchids are your best resource, too.  They will let you know what they love and what they don't like.  When you see a sign of something not right that's when you start looking for answers.

What I have learned so far in the three years that I've been growing orchids that it's all about your environment and do you have the type of orchid that will do best in your environment? Are the orchids growing indoors all year round, part indoor and part outdoor? What about wintering your orchids even if they are indoor orchids only? I know your DH has experiences with orchids and he knows about humidity and air circulation if the orchids are indoors.

I think this got way too long since I have a tendency to go on when it comes to orchids.  Please don't hesitate to ask away.  We may have to start an orchid subject.  :wink: