News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Never too old to learn  (Read 335 times)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Never too old to learn
« on: October 15, 2016, 08:07:52 PM »
Yesterday I did something I've wanted to do for a long time. I made an appointment with a personal stylist at Nordstrom. She contacted me ahead of time to learn about size, lifestyle, likes and dislikes, and budget. I didn't hesitate to also let her know that I have no sense of fashion.

Over the past months I lost about 20 lbs. so I had exactly zero garments for fall and winter.

I stopped in Lingerie and was fitted for a couple of new bras before my appointment so I'd have a good foundation.

Then I headed to the fitting room where we were to meet and was I blown away! She had about 20 outfits assembled in the fitting room. Had I roamed around the store to select items I doubt I would have reached for most of what she had in that room but there were very few garments that held no interest for me. It was really hard, hot work dressing and undressing over and over again!

After 2 hours, I have 5 or 6 nice outfits, suitable for my casual lifestyle. They are fairly timeless pieces and a nice mix of price points. All the pants are being hemmed and sent to me. There were a few garments and a pair of booties that weren't available in my size or colors in store so she ordered those online.

Now all I have to do is keep my eyes open for a few accessories to finish my looks.

I intentionally scheduled the longest appointment (2 hrs.) because I knew I was starting from scratch. However, they also offer 30 minute and one hour appointments if someone is looking for a special occasion or just to spruce up their wardrobe. Best of all there is no charge! I really recommend this service if anyone has ever been curious but unsure. Oh, and now I have an expert on call should I want something. I can text her, she can make a recommendation, and, if I like it, I just text back and it's ordered for me. We forgot to order a pair of jeans yesterday so this morning I got to experience their "text to buy" service and it's great.

Getting back to my topic line, I learned a lot about what looks good on me and what doesn't. I quickly developed the beginning of an eye for seeing myself as a whole. Previously I always saw the parts but not the whole effect. I learned that I can trust my color sense for the most part. The colors that I like and am attracted to are the ones that work best.

As usual I have written a tome but you beauties are the best listeners for this kind of stuff. Most of my friends and family would kind of glaze over if I told them all about this. So, thanks everyone!
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Never too old to learn
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 04:00:22 AM »
Sounds like you had a good time! can we see some of the outfits, or can you describe them?Any surprises, I mean, things that you never thought you would like that looked perfect on you? What about colours? Sorry about all the questions… I love anything to do with fashion!
As for accessories, we have not had a post focusing on accessories and I might just start one…

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 10:46:29 AM »
@Styyna: What a big step that sounds like it was good for you!:) For myself, I've never been much of a "department store person" since I've pretty much gone my own way being an artist. However for some people I'm sure this service and attention to customer service is very good. We need to see some pix or it didn't happen LOL!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 11:44:31 AM »
Yes, I need to get some pics together. When I have all the pieces that I've ordered I'll take some and share.

Milla, I was surprised that I can wear stretch leggings! And even though I have a dog that sheds tiny white undercoat fur nearly year round, I got some in black. I always steered clear of black due to dog fur but I decided I can use a lint roller and wear black when I'm going out to dinner. I was surprised that I am now out of plus sizes and wear a 14 or 16. Colors - my bags are still in the car but off the top of my head - blues, grays, black, red, and a cashmere sweater in a shade somewhere between periwinkle and lavender are the ones that come to mind.

Cara4art, like Milla, you have an incredible sense of style - something that I appreciate all the more because I lack it. You can go to thrift stores and recognize the quality pieces that are just right for you. In addition you benefit from being able to buy clothing that is sometimes better made than what is currently available off the rack.
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 07:15:14 AM »
Love, love , love that you did this for yourself.  (And not because you needed a professional haha) Obviously not a tome, because we all want to hear more!
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 02:20:09 PM »
ILuvLucy, you are so kind but, yeah, I kind of did/do need a professional! I'm OK with that. There are things that I am very good at so I'm comfortable acknowledging those things that are beyond my ken.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 03:38:41 PM »
I just have to share that all my seeking help is bearing fruit. Today at the eye doctor someone complimented my wrap and handbag and then said, "You're very stylish." That's a first ever for me!