News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Accessories  (Read 1489 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Accessories
« on: October 16, 2016, 04:15:41 AM »
 A while ago, in a fit of puritanical minimalism, I gave all my costume earrings, bracelets and necklaces to charity. I decided that I was just going to wear my ‘nice’ jewellery, ie the bits and pieces that my parents and my husband gave me over the years. But I found out that the look was too severe; while I do like my proper jewellery (which is not vast by any stretch of the imagination), I discovered that I like a bit of frivolity every now and then! So I bought a couple of things lately. However, unlike before, I have been a bit more selective and instead of lots of cheap earrings I have bought just a couple that are a bit more classy.
 I wear only one accessory at a time. I wonder do you like accessorizing your outfits? How do you accessorize? Do you have favourite brands?

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Accessories
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 10:55:30 AM »
Not everyone does well with a mininalist look - some people do need a little detail with both their clothing and accessories. The usual "rules" don't always apply to everyone. A case in point - it's often said that smaller women should wear smaller jewelry. Not always so - some of us do well with bolder pieces - I'm one of them. In fact, I can't stand what I call "ditzy jewelry" the stuff that's so delicate one can hardly see it. Give me a fun statement necklace of a sort that I like(I lean more toward tribal/ethnic)on the occasions when I do wear jewelry, which these days isn't all that often. Although I do wear my 3 rings all the time. As far as shoes, although I love the looks of many and fun funky styles, I just end up wearing my black athletic shoes daily since I go to the gym and walk lots. I'm pretty much immune to purses as accessories - I just have my black all-purpose messenger bag, again, because my gym stuff has to be in it, and also it's great for travel. It's a Manhattan Portage, which is excellent quality. I do like rectangular scarves some longer ones that I wrap around my neck and some somewhat smaller ones that I wear as hip wraps over my layers. As far as brands, well, I don't know, because I'm eclectic, and many things are just finds along the way at odd venues, second-hand stores etc. So maybe I'm not much help here!:)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 11:52:12 AM »
I'm just as lost with accessories as I am with buying clothing. I recognize that I need them though. I lean toward solid color pieces and they just cry out for something to polish them. Not always, of course, but often.

I wear diamond stud earrings all the time for two reasons: I lost a pair after I took them out and put them in a "safe" place. And I only have two other pairs of earrings. I'd like to get new earrings and change that up a little.

I have one ring, my engagement/wedding ring.

I only have necklaces that I would never wear, inherited from my mother. Trouble is, I don't know what kind of necklaces look good with what garments and my stature and coloring. I need to do a lot of research and maybe after I post some pics of my new clothing you will have some tips or advice! Oh, and I love the look of scarves so I will be keeping an eye out for one or two of those as well.

I purchased a pair of black leather booties and I know that they will get worn often - they go with everything else I got. I have one black tote style handbag that I will use all fall and winter.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 07:27:49 AM »
I lean toward solid color pieces and they just cry out for something to polish them. Not always, of course, but often.
This is me, as well, Styyna!

I have a lot of jewelry from Silpada that I like to wear, & a couple of things from Stella & Dot.  Most of my "good" jewelry is very wearable, as my husband knows that I like jewelry that is hand-made or has a unique look to it.  (Though, it's been a very long time since I've received any.)
I almost always wear a small hoop type earring, & my wedding ring, usually adding a necklace & sometimes a bracelet or a stack of thin beaded bracelets.   It's not a lot -- I don't do "flashy".  :rollseyes:
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 02:21:51 PM »
ILuvLucy, your jewelry style sounds like what I might like. Tasteful and appropriate without typically drawing a lot of attention.
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 03:00:35 PM »
Cara, I have had a look at the Manhattan Portage bags, they look excellent quality. I would not mind a backpack; my old backpack, which is really useful, is getting a bit battered. I have had a look at the Silpada jewellery, it looks very tasteful, the kind of I would wear. Usually I wear my wedding ring and my engagement ring. My husband gave me a pear bracelet on my last birthday. It is very wearable, it goes with well with jeans or a dress. When I wear it I don’t wear anything else. Like you, IILucy, I don’t do ‘flashy’, but I like arty, unusual pieces. I am attaching two things that I bought recently (the quality of the picture is not very good!). I bought the pendant at a craft fair and the earrings in a market. They are gold plated and go with lots of things. That is it for this year!
I have got several scarves in different colours, mostly presents from my husband. I have also got a few that I knitted. I am posting a shawl that I knitted a few months ago; the wool was a present from a kind and generous friend. I have used it a lot and I am sure I will wear it for a long time, because it is ideal to pack when you go away on vacation. It is just the thing for the evening!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 10:40:35 AM »
Milla, I love your pendant and earrings. I would choose something like that for myself!

On another note, I'm having my eye exam today and whether my prescription changes or not, I'm ordering new glasses. I've been trying to learn about what's currently fashionable and keep reading that black is the best option, particularly for women over 50. I am as inept at choosing frames as I am anything else about my appearance but I'm going to try on black just to see what I think. Tortoiseshell might be good with my coloring but I have steely gray hair creeping in and they say no tortoiseshell with gray hair. The other aspect of the frames and lenses is that I want large lenses to accommodate progressive lenses. I currently have three pair of glassses - readers that are on me or at my side when at all times when I'm home, progressive lenses for out and about, and sunglasses that also have progressive lenses. The problem with my existing progressive lenses is that the lower reading portion isn't nearly as effective as my readers even though it's the same prescription.

Wish me luck in my shopping endeavor!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 04:12:31 PM by Styyna »

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 04:17:09 PM »
I found frames that I love! Oh my, what a difference living in a bigger place makes as far as selection and knowledgeable assistance! I have always steered clear of plastic frames as they tended to slide down my nose but he helped me find the right bridge size so that's not a problem.

They are tortoise but in interesting dark colors. I'll try to attach a picture.

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 08:50:23 AM »
I love them! I was going to try to take a photo of my glasses, as they have black plastic frames, but blue on the inside.  I bet the ones you chose will look terrific on you. 
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 10:15:22 AM »
@Styyna: I never heard of the idea that black frames are recommended for "over 50". Another stupid "rule" in my opinion. Wear what looks great on you and makes you feel great, black frames or not.:) Personally, I think there's far too much emphasis on mature women should tone it down colorwise in general. It's a time of life where actually we may need MORE color, since hair is going grey, skin changes, etc. But this is individual too. Still, I think some people can handle a bit more color than they think they can. Again, 12Blueprints is useful if one is new to color,to find one's groove colorwise.:) I'm not, having been an artist lifelong.:)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 03:08:45 PM »
I'm in agreement with you, Cara, about "rules." On the other hand, the suggestion that black frames on women over 50 were appropriate opened the door for me to expand possibilities I would consider. I'm very fair and used to have very light blonde hair that has now turned very dark blonde/almost brown and have always gone with lighter frames. I reached for dark frames and fell in love with frames for the first time! I have heavily hooded eyes so eye makeup doesn't do much for them with the exception of mascara. Larger, darker frames add a new dimension to my face in my eye area that I feel was lacking. They frame my eyes in a good way that appears to minimize how small my visible eye really is.

As always, though, I truly appreciate your input!

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 02:41:11 PM »
I had always worn silver metal frames until I got my last pair. Suddenly I went for a black plastic pair - such a departure for me! With silver hair, fair skin, and light eyes, my old frames were lost on my face. I learned to love the definition I got from the black. The young man who helped me convinced me they were hip!

Now I have a pair that fades down from blue-black at the top to almost clear at the bottom. I'm not describing them very well but I have gotten many compliments. This is fun stuff!

On a side note, I got my current pair from the VA, since my DH is eligible. Most medical benefits he gets don't apply to me, but the glasses did. I got a nice discount and a stylish new pair. Who knew?
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 03:10:34 PM »
Yes, Listy, that's it exactly! My old glasses got lost on me and dark (almost black in my case) frames made a huge and positive difference. I can't wait for them to get in this week.

How wonderful that you could get the VA benefit. Glasses are expensive!

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 07:39:48 AM »
Larger, darker frames add a new dimension to my face in my eye area that I feel was lacking. They frame my eyes in a good way that appears to minimize how small my visible eye really is.

Without realizing it, this goes for me as well.  On days that I don't put on eye make up, I say to myself "I'll just remember to keep my glasses on".  Mine are for reading only, but I had them made into progressive bifocals so that I can keep them on if I want.  I read so often - not only books - recipes, iphone, etc. , that I was keeping my drug store reader glasses on all the time & the eye doctor said that was not good for my eyes.

I think I found a stock photo of my frames, though I bought mine about 2 years ago. This is probably the current version.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 12:09:23 PM »
I am going for a routine eye check tomorrow. Unless my prescription has changed a lot and requires lenses that don’t fit in my current frames, I am sticking with the same. My glasses are very light, but I don’t have to wear them all the time. I have to take them off constantly to see close up. Never wanted to try the varifocals: they scare me a bit…
I agree that you should go for what it suits you and a dark frame can be very interesting and chic.
Going back to earrings and things, I like getting things from vintage and craft fairs because they are not mass produced but they have got to be wearable on a daily basis. I am not buying things to ‘keep’: life is short and if I am not getting the wear out of something then I feel I have wasted my money!
I have looked at a new brand in my favourite department store. I am intrigued but not sure…some of the earrings would look good if you wanted a bit of a statement…and if you kept the rest of your outfit quite simple. What do you think? (link below)
 http://www.johnlewis.com/search?Ntt=earrings+toolaly&Nty=1&_requestid=2460471

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2016, 12:32:09 PM »
Oooo...those earrings would have been way out of my comfort zone except that you like them so then I took a second look and saw a couple that I liked. Thinking about them on you, with your love of intense color, I definitely would be intrigued. Do tell if you try a pair!

SusanG

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2016, 05:41:47 PM »
ILLucy, I have a pair of glasses frames very similar to those: a dark tortoiseshell exterior with translucent teal interior. They're by Coach.Love 'em.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 04:57:36 AM by SusanG »
  • Complexion: Fair: MAC NC15, Ivory in Dior
  • Hair: Natural light brown with a little silver, pixie cut

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2016, 02:58:05 AM »
the earrings: I have seen them in the store and they look better than in the website, where you could be deceived to imagine them just as a few bits of plastic tied together. They would look equally good with a black dress, or even with jeans and a sweater.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2016, 04:36:09 PM »
I'm liking the earrings more and more....

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2016, 07:34:34 AM »
That style of earrings isn't for me but on the right person I'm sure they'd look great with sharp clothes. I lean more toward bold ethnic, or other richly textured jewelry, on the occasions I wear it that is. Day to day I just wear my three rings which include my wedding ring that my husband had that he sized down for me. It looks a bit like an Egyptian eye.:)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2016, 09:28:47 AM »
Sounds interesting and unusual...

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2016, 02:26:46 PM »
...richly textured....

I associate this description with you, Cara. Texture and depth, original and one-of-a-kind seem to be words that describe your style to some extent. I like it a lot for you.

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2016, 04:22:24 PM »
@Styyna: Thanks!:) This is also why the usual style advice, and a lot of current ugly generic clothes really don't work for me. But I've never been much of a department store person, or mass-market stuff unless it was something very utilitarian like a layering t-shirt or something. Otherwise, I DO have to go further afield like the second-hand shops that I've basically been doing since my 20s. But you know, my way of doing things isn't all that uncommon among artists and other creatives anyway.:) My artwork is richly-detailed, while my home is simple(meaning I don't have a lot of stuff in general) with bohemian touches with the things I DO have. Anyone who tells me that I should just do some bland stuff, well, they just got a new one LOL! Runs out to buy a blue-violet lipstick today!:)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2016, 03:04:13 PM »
I think now I love to dressed people up rather than dressing myself up. I love those earrings from your link Milla and would probably buy a few but more than likely will not wear them.  :lol: I used to use the excuse that I ride public transportation and don't want to wear all kinds of jewelry.  Well, I drive to work and I still don't wear earrings or rings or any jewelry  (except my wedding ring).

I'm kinda boring now.  :grin:
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2016, 03:28:35 PM »
You will never be boring, SusieQ. All those beautiful flowers that you manage to grow, the nail polish (what happened to the nail polish?).
 About those earrings: someone asked me yesterday if they were by Monica Vinader’s (an up and coming designer, please see below). I wish… they were not that expensive. Actually, Monica Vinader’s jewellery is lovely!
http://www.monicavinader.com/shop/earrings/sort-by/our-favourites

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2016, 03:38:38 PM »
You will never be boring, SusieQ. All those beautiful flowers that you manage to grow, the nail polish (what happened to the nail polish?).
 About those earrings: someone asked me yesterday if they were by Monica Vinader’s (an up and coming designer, please see below). I wish… they were not that expensive. Actually, Monica Vinader’s jewellery is lovely!
http://www.monicavinader.com/shop/earrings/sort-by/our-favourites
Oh, see. I forgot about nail polish. Bare nails for over a year now. See...boring. :lol: Oh..those earrings are soo beautiful.  Ok. I may be tempted to wear one of those but they are so expensive that I will continue to admire them from afar.  :grin:
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2016, 04:24:35 PM »
You and me... :cry:

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2016, 03:09:08 PM »
Susie, I completely neglected my nails for a long time. And you know what? They were just fine as long as I kept them nicely trimmed and shaped.

Right now I'm having fun with gel manis and pedis. A gel pedi is good for 6 weeks and a gel mani lasts me 3 weeks. I'll probably have more through the holidays and then I'll go bare for a couple of months to let my nails and nail beds breathe.

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2016, 07:15:18 PM »
@Styyna: At first I was so glad to hear that you were just wearing no nail polish and going with neatly-trimmed nails. The latter is hardly neglect LOL! For me, au naturel forever on ANY of my nails! I've never been tempted since my early 20s(when I maybe wore it a couple times and disliked the feeling of anything on nails). I'll stick with makeup LOL!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2016, 06:56:13 AM »
Cara - I agree that well-tended bare nails are quite attractive. However, I truly neglected my nails. My cuticles were a mess, I had hangnails all over the place - it wasn't pretty. Right now I'm having fun with nail polish colors but I don't think that it's healthy to wear polish endlessly. I'll be taking breaks and going bare, too.

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2016, 09:18:39 AM »
@Styyna: Thanks for clarifying about the nails situation - in that case I can understand taking care. I know I hear of people having to deal with cuticles and all, but for some reason, life-long, I've never had trouble with mine, never had to "push them back" or trim them or anything. They've always been naturally-neat.
No, it's definitely NOT healthy to wear regular nail polish all the time. If people knew about the carcinogenic aspect of 3 of the main chemicals used in regular nail polish, they would stop using it right away. However, there are some smaller independent more natural nail polish brands that one can find at a good natural food store(or Googling)that are appealing to people who are health-conscious but would still like to have a little fun with their nails from time to time. One thing that's been helpful for me which I've really only started doing in the last few months at this very late date for hand care is applying the same stuff on the backs of them as I do face. Some spots are fading out and things are looking better.:)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2016, 10:22:02 AM »
I wear nail polish very,  very rarely, maybe once a year if I am going to a wedding or something like that. There are some brands that are safer, the so-called 5 or even 7 free. In general nail polish does not agree with my nails: they are quite brittle (but they seem to have improved a little since I started taking calcium on a daily basis). It  makes sense to look after your hands. I don't apply hand cream during the day, as I dislike the greasy feeling, but I massage it  religiously every night. A couple of times a week give my nails a massage with warm olive oil. I can thoroughly recommend this if you have dry cuticles.

thelmabates

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2016, 01:53:39 AM »
My best friend just got back from a trip in Europe and got me a gift, these beautiful earrings made by Biamotti and she got a cool necklace + earrings set for herself. Any idea where I can find out how much these jewelry items cost? Thanks TTB <3

SilverCrown

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2016, 06:33:05 AM »
My best friend just got back from a trip in Europe and got me a gift, these beautiful earrings made by Biamotti and she got a cool necklace + earrings set for herself. Any idea where I can find out how much these jewelry items cost? Thanks TTB <3

Hi Thelmabates and welcome to TTB!

You might want to Google Biamotti and you should find a link to their site. Since new members are prohibited from posting links in their first 10 posts, I am not including a link at this time.
-SilverCrown