News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Sometimes it all comes together...  (Read 377 times)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Sometimes it all comes together...
« on: October 26, 2016, 09:37:55 AM »
When I was young the last thing I had to worry about was my hair. It was long, thick, light blonde, and garnered a lot of attention.

For about the last 10 years I've struggled with it as it became very dark blonde/light brown with a gray streak in it. Long hair dragged down my appearance and I've had trouble finding a style that works with the texture of my hair and my ineptitude at styling it.

Then we moved and I found a new stylist who was puzzled by my former lack of style as she looked at my hair. She cut just a little over an inch but styled it differently and now, at last, I have wash and blow and spray and go hair. No appliances except for a blow dryer and that just for a couple of minutes to get most of the moisture out.

I'd share a picture but I take terrible selfies and DH isn't much good with a camera either.

Next up...my eyebrows. I can't see well enough to pluck them myself so I'm going to depend upon a woman who does nothing but waxing at my salon. Wish me luck!
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Sometimes it all comes together...
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 11:49:50 AM »
It sounds like you are feeling a lot better and having a great time pampering yourself. Good for you! It is amazing what a good hair cut can do; it can transform your looks and make you feel confident instantly. Another thing that can transform a woman’s figure and style is proper, well-fitting under garments. When I am out and about in town, I spot so many women of ‘a certain age’ who would look great if they just spend some of the money that they spend on clothes and skin care in a good haircut and a bra that fits them properly.
 If you have problems with your sight it makes sense to have your eyebrows done. Have you ever tried threading?
Now, if you have not thought about it yet, how about a manicure? Do send us some photos, I miss seeing your lovely face.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 12:04:30 PM »
I am having fun. I hadn't taken care of myself for too long and it feels good to be bringing all the parts together.

I agree about having a well-fitted bra. Before I met with the stylist recently I stopped in the lingerie department to be fitted for a couple of new bras, one of which I wore to my meeting with the stylist.

I've never tried threading. I wonder how I might find a threader (is that the proper term?) in my area...

I'm ahead of you on the mani/pedi wagon. I love burgundy and navy-ish nail colors but am not very skilled at applying it so I sought a nail salon recommendation from my hair stylist. I can get a gel pedi that lasts a month easily.

It really helps that, in spite of not wanting to dress in anything but jeans and flannel shirts himself, DH loves it when I do these self-care and pampering things. He loves to see me well dressed and turned out. :)

After I drop the next 20 lbs. I will attempt to get some photos to share. Fortunately my appetite remains light even though I'm much more active so I hope to continue losing weight this fall and winter.
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 12:21:57 PM »
Take it easy. The weight will come off I am sure, but don’t over-do it (I sound like Matron!), because the winter is coming. I have put on a bit of weight since I finished my treatment and now I am trying to eat a lot of lean protein and plenty of vegetables. Nutritionists say that you should eat a ‘rainbow’ and that is what I am trying to do, especially as my immune system seems so poor. I have had another cold for the last 2 weeks and got so wheezy that I had to go to the GP on Monday and now I am on antibiotics. But enough of me. Threading is a bit more painful than conventional plucking but people say it lasts longer; I cannot tell you from personal experience because I do my own eyebrows with tweezers and only had them done in a salon a couple of times.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 12:35:48 PM »
Message received and noted! :)

Like you, I've been trying to focus on a rainbow of fruits and vegetables and lean protein. I haven't eliminated anything from my diet completely though.

I hope your immune system improves with time. Have you done any research or asked the doctor about that aspect of your recovery? I'm interested both on your behalf and on behalf of our friend who just finished treatments.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 03:11:49 AM »
I am going to talk to my doctor about taking the ‘flu vaccine. Here, you are invited to have it if you are over 65 (I am 64); as I have the dubious honour of being ‘high risk’, they will give it to me if the doctor thinks I need it. My sister keeps on telling me to take supplements, but I am already taking calcium and I have never been one for homeopathic remedies, no offense to anyone who chooses to take them. With me, it is all in the mind: when I start worrying about things my defences just fall like a stack of dominoes. I have been a bit worried about several people and, at times, found it difficult to keep calm.  Personally I believe that the best way to follow the kind of treatment I had is to eat well, exercise, stay positive, spend time with people you like and pamper yourself a little, but isn’t that true for all sorts of situations?

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 10:25:53 AM »
If one has at least somewhat mixed-texture, and also relatively thick hair, both the right haircut AND styling products and methods make a HUGE difference. They'll have to pry a decent cutter of my kind of mixed curls/waves, strong gel, and scrunching method out of my cold little hands! Styling products were made for us!:) It's truly amazing just how many hair cutters really don't know how to cut anything other than stick-straight hair, although that's beginning to change. One has to look around before letting ANYONE with scissors near one's hair. Luckily I found my guy here - been with him for 10 years.:)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 01:02:08 PM »
I agree with you, Cara, curly hair looks amazing if you have a good hairdresser and the right products.